N-Europe

Twilight Princess HD (4th March)

Hogge

• Replies 721
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Witcher 3 says, "Hey!"

Witcher 3 plays nothing like Zelda though. It's not really "content" in the same context of Zelda's as you're not really jumping, climbing, using items to traverse the world, solving puzzles, playing minigames etc.

Building a Zelda game is more akin to making a Mario game really in terms of environmental interaction and making a Zelda game on that kind of scale is totally different (not to mention practically impossible).

Witcher 3 plays nothing like Zelda though. It's not really "content" in the same context of Zelda's as you're not really jumping, climbing, using items to traverse the world, solving puzzles, playing minigames etc.

Every single one of those things you do a lot in Witcher 3.

Yes but Nintendo aren't about to spend 53 million quid developing Zelda U/NX.

If they want the NX to sell, they HAVE TO!

Zelda was always Nintendos flagship title. The highest scoring games which were the most revered throughout the gaming community.

To claim that their flagship can't be as good as the third game developed by a Polish company that's less than 10 years old is an outright joke. It HAS TO be as good. In fact, it must WIPE THE FLOOR with it.

That being said, I don't think Zelda should be like The Witcher. I don't want to see Link in sex scenes :P

There are plenty of open world games with large areas and actual content, to say that nintendo can't do that is actually ridiculously insulting to nintendo.

They've managed large game map games with large amounts of content before, so transitioning to an open world game and putting the same content in surely can not be hard for THE veteran games company

Comparisons to the Witcher and Skyrim are very apt, both managed to do open worlds to varying degrees with content, LOZ games arguably have less stripped down mechanics in some respects so its easily possible for Nintendo to do this

Now if you wanted to argue that they just would choose not to for 'design' reasons (aka miyamoto interference, rushed development :indeed:) then fine thats a different argument, nintendo being too lazy inept or missing desires is a common complaint

That being said, I don't think Zelda should be like The Witcher. I don't want to see Link in sex scenes :P

linkfacesofevil610.jpg

I don't know. Link is quite the looker...

Yeah, Zelda isn't going to be a Witcher style game. Because then it really wouldn't be Zelda anymore.

If Nintendo had to make that kind of game, I would want them to use this guy as the protaganist.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTP_PalXzpunQjLx6FQShLFdyeYqUdrD7PE_q5tZXK8VaoCQLSD

Oh my daze! Just imagine that massive kind of game with THOSE CHARACTER DESIGNS AND THAT ARTSTYLE! That would be my dream game!

The chances are so slim though. Dillon with Zelda's budget could be really amazing but they're letting it go to waste...

Hmmm I do kind of get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving The Witcher and i'm still playing it but a lot of it is basically "follow a trail using witcher senses".

Which Twilight Princess already did. And we're back to the topic!

Audience-clapping.gif

(Never played Witcher, assuming it's similar to the scents Wolf Link follows, this might have fallen flat on it's face)

Hmmm I do kind of get it. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving The Witcher and i'm still playing it but a lot of it is basically "follow a trail using witcher senses".

A lot of it will be, since part of a Witcher's job is to be a tracker. That's what the follow the trail bits are. He's tracking down an enemy or following the scent of a missing person or looking at tracks of a cart. Although, I do think they used those tracker bits absolutely right in the game, since it's used as a mechanic to advance the story and discover new pieces of information along the way.

As for open world games: Yes, the Witcher 3 has definitely changed what should now be expected from open world games. It's redefined the whole concept of world building.

The Witcher 3's world wouldn't work in a Zelda game (based on the last Zelda) because the Witcher often features complex or intertwining story arcs with multiple characters and dialogue that is dependent on actions and choices within the game. Zelda's storyline is far more linear, shallow and doesn't allow for any of this. In order to make the open world of Wild Hunt work in a Zelda, you'd have to ask Nintendo to focus heavily on multiple story arcs and Nintendo simply won't do that and I doubt that they could do something like that. They're not known for making story-driven or character driven games.

I was a fan of Twilight Princess and I'd probably buy a HD-remake eventually. But, right now, I'd much rather take a newer and fresher Zelda.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

In order to make the open world of Wild Hunt work in a Zelda, you'd have to ask Nintendo to focus heavily on multiple story arcs and Nintendo simply won't do that and I doubt that they could do something like that. They're not known for making story-driven or character driven games.

There is one example of that: Majora's Mask. Multiple big sub-plots and lots of little ones, many intertwining.

(Although I should point out that I haven't played The Witcher 3, wasn't a fan of the gameplay win The Witcher 2 and hated the story and main character).

There is one example of that: Majora's Mask. Multiple big sub-plots and lots of little ones, many intertwining.

(Although I should point out that I haven't played The Witcher 3, wasn't a fan of the gameplay win The Witcher 2 and hated the story and main character).

I was waiting for someone to pull out the Majora's Mask card. Yeah, the sidequests were great, all 15 years ago. Even then, the style of the game is different and it's built differently to other Zeldas. It should be used as the template to create new Zelda games, but it isn't or hasn't been.

I haven't played Witcher 3, but I really really don't like open world games with very very few exceptions, and usually they're in spite of the open world (Bully, Lego City, Batman)... please don't let Zelda be like any of these. I don't see linear, single character story as shallow... though maybe you didn't mind that in particular.

As for Twilight Princess, I'd love it, but really only if they spring it on us this year, which aint happening. Any time next year will just take the attention away from Zelda Wii U/NX (obviously coming to both platforms)

As for Twilight Princess, I'd love it, but really only if they spring it on us this year, which aint happening. Any time next year will just take the attention away from Zelda Wii U/NX (obviously coming to both platforms)

I don't think it's too unlikely for a quick release. It's definitely not going to be a WWHD effort HD version, and it probably won't get a physical release.

@Fierce_LiNk

Zelda should be about the dungeons anyway (Witcher 3 has nothing of the sort). I also prefer the puzzle solving in Zelda games. Witcher 3 puzzles revolve around using your witcher sense in the appropriate place.

Don't get me wrong I love Witcher 3. It's my GOTY.

My point is that Zelda and Witcher 3 are two completely different types of game. I don't want Zelda to become more like Witcher and vice versa!

I don't think it's too unlikely for a quick release. It's definitely not going to be a WWHD effort HD version, and it probably won't get a physical release.

Given the Wii U Premium has a 32GB hard drive, I struggle to believe they would make it download only.

@Fierce_LiNk

Zelda should be about the dungeons anyway (Witcher 3 has nothing of the sort). I also prefer the puzzle solving in Zelda games. Witcher 3 puzzles revolve around using your witcher sense in the appropriate place.

Don't get me wrong I love Witcher 3. It's my GOTY.

My point is that Zelda and Witcher 3 are two completely different types of game. I don't want Zelda to become more like Witcher and vice versa!

Why are you talking about dungeons out of nowhere? :p

All of this talk is about the overworld which people were criticising on the first page of this thread. As in, would it be possible for a Zelda game to have an overworld in the style of The Witcher 3? The world building in Zelda is in urgent need of a shake-up.

If we're talking about dungeons, then Nintendo got it absolutely right with Twilight Princess. They had some really interesting designs with the Arbiter's Grounds, Snowpeak Mansion and Temple of Time being clever dungeons in locations that you wouldn't expect dungeons to be. They took a huuuuge step back in Skyward Sword, imo. The bosses in TP were fantastic too, imo. Nintendo got so much right there.

Given the Wii U Premium has a 32GB hard drive, I struggle to believe they would make it download only.

The Wii version is around 1.2GB, a HD port wouldn't be much bigger than that (especially as Zelda renders cut-scenes in the engine, so no HD video files needed).

Just re-watched the main trailer for Skyward Sword, it reminded me just how many gameplay mechanics were in that game. I'm sure Witcher is great but it does sound like a very different game. Zelda seems much more about action set pieces and using your equipment to get around (and fly).

Just re-watched the main trailer for Skyward Sword, it reminded me just how many gameplay mechanics were in that game. I'm sure Witcher is great but it does sound like a very different game. Zelda seems much more about action set pieces and using your equipment to get around (and fly).

It is a different game, buuuut the point is that lessons can be learned from it and there are mechanics or ideas that could be implemented to make a better game. It's exactly the same with Xenoblade. Xenoblade's overworld truly showed up Zelda big time and it is a far more engaging game as a result of it, at least in my opinion.

I enjoyed that initial feel of walking around Skyloft, but I've often heard Skyward Sword compared with Mario Galaxy in terms of overworld and level design. It's...not that far off, tbh. I didn't feel like the world was one connected place and it often felt very disjointed. Imo, it didn't make for a truly engaging game. Xenoblade on the other hand was fucking wonderful. You could go anywhere you wanted, there were lots of things to see, each area felt different to the last, there were a large variety of environments and you had characters and quests in each area which were memorable. That's what I'm talking about really, I just want a more engaging world design.

Twilight Princess was great at the time. I loved it, I was truly sucked in. It's still one of my favourite games. However, I understand the complaints and after playing games that have come after it, I agree with its flaws. Yes, the overworld is quite sparse and empty. Yes, there isn't really a lot to do. Yes, there aren't really that many villages or areas where hubs of people exist and you can go about doing a round of sidequests. But, I do like the scale of the game and how large it felt. Hyrule Field felt massive to me at the time. I don't think Nintendo can retroactively add NPCs and Quests, so I get that, but I do think lessons can be learned for future games.

I hope that they will make an offer, like buy TP and get other game free, or 50% off. Don't know what they have to lose.

Again, after I read about Xenoblade I am thinking of getting and older TV (my old one is broken, or at least I think it is as when I put scart cable in the pictures is grey) just to play it as it should look better on it.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!