Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

This is a nice video, taking the positive from the presentation as an idea o looking into the future for Nintendo.

A rebuttal of Jim Sterlings video. Maybe a little on the 'too positive' side, but still a good counter point. They both have good points. But I do agree with what he is hinting at the beginning. Sterling is a complete tool!!! *sometimes* I find him funny, but he's also staggeringly irritating and quite vile. (Particularly like this guys line of when he moves towards character more than content - very very true)

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen many suggest that Miiverse may just be part of their phone app service but i've no idea how this would work. I mean, how would you upload your screenshots? Would the Switch transfer the shot to the phone or something?

I'm still clinging to some hope that Miiverse isn't being scrapped but it may be a foolish dream at this point. :(

The game would upload to miiverse directly. Just like we can access miiverse from our PC's, but don't need our Wii U's to wirelessly send the photo to the PC to post onto miiverse... I personally hope they have just changed the name of miiverse, but suspect they are pushing onto facebook twitter etc. so there is publicity and free advertising for the console. Miiverse on the app would essentially be fb/twitter with a filter so only "#switch" tagged posts and images show up?

There's one thing still bugging me. The Joy-Cons don't seem to have any physical connectors, so how do they communicate when they're attached to the Switch? Bluetooth? That seems wasteful to me.

It could be that they communicate through infra-red when docked with the system, Nintendo's early detachable controller patent covered controllers that connected through infra-red. I don't see any sort of IR window inside the controllers though, so it probably just connects through bluetooth. It would simplify things if the connection was ostensibly the same docked or undocked.

There's one thing still bugging me. The Joy-Cons don't seem to have any physical connectors, so how do they communicate when they're attached to the Switch? Bluetooth? That seems wasteful to me.

I think the physical connectors are inside the rails. They charge from being connected to the Switch so there has to be some physical connection.

I have a feeling that those placeholder boxes on display are slightly taller.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSQ5sSsyt8w7wMS4AQgWyL0QbuxPyCOxavpwg7iHDswok39Daz

I'm hoping the above comparison image is accurate.

I've just found a better, updated version of the image...

xKNy6Ww.jpg

...slightly bigger than PSP cases, oh well, no bespoke storage for Switch games then.

I think the physical connectors are inside the rails. They charge from being connected to the Switch so there has to be some physical connection.

It looks to me as if they charge wirelessly. I can't see any connectors on the rails.

Why would it be wasteful? Rather than implementing a physical connection used only when the Joy-cons are attached, why not use Bluetooth? One solution fits all.

That'd be great. It really would make a big difference to me.

How does this make a difference to anyone!?

I haven't commented on this since the reveal.. And God damn, that last presentation was lame.

Overall I'm disappointed. But I "missed out" on WiiU due to lack of money (I actually still have a backlog of Wii games, which funnily enough is larger than my backlog of WiiU games), and I pre-ordered this one since I want to play Zelda and Zelda looks better on Switch. The more logical alternative would be to buy a WiiU now since the time couldn't be better, including the few games I want for it. But like I said, Zelda looks better on Switch (in general, so far), and is the priority.

Disappointed in the tech.. Would have liked something more powerful (it's again behind the other consoles I've heard?), though that's not an big issue. What I hate more is that Nintendo often takes one step forward, then two steps backwards, they don't stick with their direction. Introducing motion controls with the Wii, and doing a pretty good job at it, but sacrificing a LOT of power. Ditching motion controls with the WiiU pretty much, introducing an extra screen (completely forgotten about DS connectivity here), didn't do much with it (I believe), hardware in general is underpowered again, they're constantly playing catchup. Now with the Switch, they've ditched the extra screen again (..unless they give developers the option to use the screen simultaneously with a TV), and brought back motion controls, but in some convoluted way. Although I guess I should wait for a hands-on, but so far I'm not at all impressed with the "Joy-cons".

I also really don't care for the portability feature, Most likely I'm not going to use it, apart from the very rare occasional multiplayer party.

Then there's the launch line-up.. <sigh> It's basically only Zelda for months. Not getting 1-2 switch, not getting arms. Arms should be a minigame imcluded with 1-2 switch, and 1-2 switch should be included with the console. Missed out on Splatoon (so far), but with the payed online service.. I'm most likely not getting it. Splatoon looks like fun, but it's something I want to mainly play in multiplayer online, and I'm not getting a subscription for just 1 or 2 games. So it's basically waiting for Mario after Zelda. I've always supported 3rd party, but I mostly go for the interesting (timed) exclusives. Skyrim I'll buy on PC if I want it (like any other multiplatform) FPS or RPG. That Square Enix RPG on the other had, that's what I want. Plus more of Travis Touchdown, hell yeah!

Luckily the complete lack of interesting games during and following launch suits me, as I won't have the money to buy many games anyway, Zelda and some PC games will suffice.

Basically they rushed to get this out, and that's a mistake. They should've waited for better hardware and an actual compelling list of launch games (..apart from Zelda).

With the overall feeling of disappointment, I still pre-ordered it, for Zelda like I said, and after missing out on WiiU, it's exciting to get a new console again.

I don't see any connectors on the Switch console or Joy-cons which would lead me to think it's a physical connection to charge. I have only seen these as gold connectors, maybe I'm wrong... Still think wireless charging of the joy-cons, always on Bluetooth.

I'm assuming it does it through SL and SR.

Wow, even the Switch Pin Badges are going for around £20 now. :o

I'm glad I decided to snap one up when I saw it for £12...

...yeah I know, even £12 for a pin badge but there's no way I'd get the chance to nab one otherwise (there'll never be any Switch events in Cornwall) so it's still worth it to me. ::shrug:

But yeah... people pre-selling the console for up to double what it costs? The first wave on Nintendo Store isn't even sold out yet.

Forget nicotine, we should have Nintendo patches. We all have to stay strong together until it makes more sense to buy the console.

For a lot of people, myself included, Nintendo have them by the balls purely for nostalgia reasons and the quality of their games. Its why we've put up with their idiotic decisions, especially in terms of hardware, for so long.

It would be interesting to see if their products would still have the same impact if Nintendo were new to the market and didn't have that legacy factor going for them. Out of all of the 3 console manufacturers Nintendo are the ones that lean heavily, and even rely on it, the most.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!