Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaf has just put up a thread on some new Nintendo patents that have just been filed.

They seem to confirm touchscreen, SD Card expandable memory, Gyro controls, two shoulder buttons on the Joy Cons and most interesting and exciting of all... Google Cardboard style VR potential. Plenty more too

Gaf has just put up a thread on some new Nintendo patents that have just been filed.

They seem to confirm touchscreen, SD Card expandable memory, Gyro controls, two shoulder buttons on the Joy Cons and most interesting and exciting of all... Google Cardboard style VR potential. Plenty more too

I recall @dazzybee mentioning this AGES ago! It'd be cool if they do have it!

1080p on tv also confirmed, likewise NFC, rumble, IR, USB-C, 4 Joycons possible per Switch, different Joy con with traditional d-Pad and 4 face buttons, L and R shoulder buttons per Joy con. Fan is active in portable mode but at a (locked) lower speed than when it's docked.

Edited by Ronnie

It's just dawned on me that Switch will lose one of the best features of the Wii U. Dual screen multiplayer on games like COD was brilliant on Wii U but I can't see how this can be done. Oh well 2 steps forward 1 step back

But I think the only way to get rid of it was to ditch it. And you sort of can do it, just buy another switch :)

I'm keeping an eye out on the FCC website to see if any information comes up but they do keep things confidential for a period. I'd expect some detail to pop up in Jan.

So the more I think about this, the better it gets. One of the major issues that I have with mobile VR is that the tracking goes of really easily but that almost no games have inputs.

With joycons, you instantly have a fairly sophisticated input set out of the box that lends itself to VR. What if we should be expecting BotW in VR, which could be played from a first person perspective?

Mario Kart VR anyone?

Yes the joy cons are perfect for VR, the Switch is ticking a lot of boxes and is looking like 3 consoles in one. The only thing that seems to be missing is a camera, but knowing Nintendo there'll be some optional attachment or something.

Don't forget the inevitable hardware revision. We wouldn't want to miss out on the Switch-Lite or the NEW Switch would we? :p

I just watched this video explaining about how much bang for buck the switch hardware is going to achieve. Was interesting:

I think if they do implement anything to do with VR then having it comparable to the mobile varients would be the way to go. It wouldnt be able to get the same kind of experiences as say the Vive with its roomscale and wands but as long as people knew that going in then it could still be a good and hopefully cheap experience.

So the more I think about this, the better it gets. One of the major issues that I have with mobile VR is that the tracking goes of really easily but that almost no games have inputs.

With joycons, you instantly have a fairly sophisticated input set out of the box that lends itself to VR. What if we should be expecting BotW in VR, which could be played from a first person perspective?

Mario Kart VR anyone?

But, at the same time, 720p is a poor resolution for VR. I think it will be a few "just for fun" things and not a big focus.

Like the AR cards on the 3DS that were used...once?

Come on now, I can't let that one slide. Bravely Default and Bravely Second along with Kid Icarus used them, I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting.

That said, it's not a feature I'll particularly miss.

Won't the switch be a bit big to strap to your face?

To be honest, after Aviator glasses, I don't think it's big enough.

Come on now, I can't let that one slide. Bravely Default and Bravely Second along with Kid Icarus used them, I'm sure there's a few more I'm forgetting.

That said, it's not a feature I'll particularly miss.

To be honest, after Aviator glasses, I don't think it's big enough.

Never played BD or the sequel but fair point about Kid Icarus. Forgot about that.

I think the VR patent is just them covering all bases, I'd be very surprised if we saw any VR content on the Switch without a big upgrade of the hardware.

Looking over the patents it's amazing how much tech is in this thing, especially with the Joy Cons looking so small. I'm glad we won't be getting any more leaks from LKD until the presentation, hopefully there are still some surprises in store.

With the 3ds (and even I seem to remember the GC in development stages) they had some experience that could lend them a helping hand to getting this working pretty good. Remember the New 3DS has improved 3d....

Also (I know this is going a bit into the realms of fantasy but...) there have been for the last few years rumblings of tech with a camera BEHIND the screen itself. afaik nothing has come of it, but if Nintendo were able to place a camera discretely so that eye's can be tracked individually.... the 3d on the 3ds had one main issue and that was viewing angle, if the console was strapped to your face (so it remained virtually static) I imagine the 3d effect, when used properly would be very good.

ok 3ds resolution was a bit weak, but if the switch is held far enough from your face, 720p (or is it 1080p, have those details been confirmed?) would be a nice step up from the 3ds, or would at least keep things on a par... but with vr. I can imagine BotW with a joycon on each hand would be a really novel experience, but I won't be getting my hopes too high!

3ds has 400×240 pixels per eye.

Switch at 720p would give 640x720 pixels per eye.

So 1.5 times as much horizontal, 3 times as much vertical

Edited by Pestneb
Automerged Doublepost

I think the VR patent is just them covering all bases, I'd be very surprised if we saw any VR content on the Switch without a big upgrade of the hardware.

Looking over the patents it's amazing how much tech is in this thing, especially with the Joy Cons looking so small. I'm glad we won't be getting any more leaks from LKD until the presentation, hopefully there are still some surprises in store.

Hopefully Nintendo for once will unveil performance and not pretend they're Rols Royce and say that it's "adequate".