Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

So you really think Zelda will be later than next March?

I don't want to wait any longer than that :(

If it was gonna be a launch title, I reckon they would've gone ahead and said so.

The fact that they're not committing to a release month or even quarter tells you all you need to know.

But I'm guessing May-June. Mostly just gut feeling, but there is precedent for a summer Zelda release worldwide near to a hardware launch (OoT 3D)

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was gonna be a launch title, I reckon they would've gone ahead and said so.

The fact that they're not committing to a release month or even quarter tells you all you need to know.

But I'm guessing May-June. Mostly just gut feeling, but there is precedent for a summer Zelda release worldwide near to a hardware launch (OoT 3D)

Na. It's going to be launch, no doubt about it

True. I just think it'd be disappointing if they don't have it as a launch title, unless they have a really amazing 3D Mario. Remasters of Splatoon, Smash and Pikmin 4 aren't going to cut it, unfortunately.

I still think it'll be there at launch and be like Twilight Princess, simultaneously on both consoles. I think they're just covering their backs just in case there is another delay, god forbid.

Plus, if it is further back, you have a reaalllly long gap with no Wii U games at all.

True. I just think it'd be disappointing if they don't have it as a launch title, unless they have a really amazing 3D Mario. Remasters of Splatoon, Smash and Pikmin 4 aren't going to cut it, unfortunately.

We have absolutely no idea what they're cooking. All we know for sure is that Pikmin 4 will be there (yes, it's pretty clear that I was wrong about it being a Wii U game now, go ahead and laugh ;) ) and that Retro's new game should rightfully be wrapped up by then (if not now), going by how long it has been since DKCTF.

For all we know, they could have another Wii Sports like game in the pipeline (hell it could even be what Retro have been working on). We don't even know what the NX's main USP will be (the New Way of Playing that they've been touting). The NX's big launch game probably isn't gonna be Zelda, just like how TP wasn't THE big game for Wii's launch.

I still think it'll be there at launch and be like Twilight Princess, simultaneously on both consoles. I think they're just covering their backs just in case there is another delay, god forbid.

This doesn't really make sense to me. If Zelda was their big launch title for NX, then they wouldn't release the console/handheld/whatever without it. So why announce a March release date for the NX if you're not confident that your big launch title is gonna be ready in time for it?

Plus, if it is further back, you have a reaalllly long gap with no Wii U games at all.

At this point, I don't think they really care anymore :p

I'd be shocked shocked I say well not that shocked if Zelda wasn't a launch title! its been in development how long now? it was originally a WiiU only title and all they are doing now is making a port to the NX whilst developing the game, so in the next 9 months I'd be certain its completed for both consoles and out on launch day of the NX

This doesn't really make sense to me. If Zelda was their big launch title for NX, then they wouldn't release the console/handheld/whatever without it. So why announce a March release date for the NX if you're not confident that your big launch title is gonna be ready in time for it?

The NX will get delayed if need be.

Zelda will be a launch title. It would suicide to not launch with Zelda.

The NX will get delayed if need be.

Zelda will be a launch title. It would suicide to not launch with Zelda.

Not if their plan is to have a consistent schedule of games, like what they've been saying.

If they have plenty of other games ready to go for launch, then it's actually better to save Zelda for later than to blow their load right out of the gate. The idea is to not run out of games to release here.

After all, BOTW isn't an NX exclusive game, so it isn't even a game that exists to sell the NX concept. Presumably, their other games from Retro and EAD Tokyo are there for that and thus are much more important to the NX's success than BOTW...

Edited by Dcubed

Not if their plan is to have a consistent schedule of games, like what they've been saying.

If they have plenty of other games ready to go for launch, then it's actually better to save Zelda for later than to blow their load right out of the gate.

After all, BOTW isn't an NX exclusive game, so it isn't even a game that exists to sell the NX concept. Presumably, their other games from Retro and EAD Tokyo are there for that and thus are much more important to the NX's success than BOTW...

But, Deeeeeeaannnn! Zelda is the only thing that maaaaatttteeerrrrsss!

It's a totally valid point though. Zelda is not going to single-handedly carry the NX. What if Zelda was the only game to launch with the NX? It'd be disastrous!

To be fair @longdragon mentioned the scroll wheel hint a few days ago

As for Mario, well I think a Christmas release makes most sense, Zelda at Launch, maybe with a new animal crossing (which was certainly being made for Wii u) - to be as close to the mobile link that has been p[retty much confirmed to link together with it.

Christmas I think there need Mario and Mario Kart and start Mark Kart as a service throughout its lifespan with DLC

Remember that they said they want to have a steady stream of games for NX. They're probably actually gonna be sitting on completed games so that they can spread the schedule out.

Pikmin 4 is probably already done now, while Retro's next game may already be complete (DKCTF came out November 2013, that's a really long time ago!)

The new Mario might be nearing completion, but it doesn't mean that they have to release it straight away...

You believe Nintendo have a steady stream of games? When has that ever been the case.

Fixed that for you

I think that kind of view is very narrow-minded. Yeah, (timed) exclusives come about because of money, but actually getting games, any games on a console is not about money up front, it's about money that comes later. Return on investment.

Companies don't release their games [straight away] on Wii U because Nintendo hasn't given them money, it's because Nintendo has convinced them money won't come to them from their work.

@Dcubed you're back with your crazy predictions :) Granted this isn't quite as mental as you thinking pikmin 4, animal crossing and retros new game were all going to be on Wii u this year, but it has about as much logic. I think it's pretty obvious it WILL be a launch title, or definitely that's the intention. I think there are two reasons they wouldn't explicitly say launch title and release in March 1. Maybe they know the nx won't either but don't want investors to get grumpy 2. Most likely, just edging their bets, anything can happen in the final few months of development, so if it comes to it they'll be happy to delay it to the Autumn or whenever.

But I think it's pretty safe to say it will launch alongside the nx as its big release!

And I'm pretty sure Zelda WAS the big game at launch. Wii sports got a lot of buzz and sold the systems gimmick, but Zelda was the big game for it.

I hope they go back to a cartridge type system. The only advantages discs have are cost and data size and I believe cards/chips have now levelled out with discs. No optical drive means a cheaper console, cards are tiny and easy to carry about and of course loading times zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

But what about when the battery in my cartridge runs out!

I don't know if you're joking so sorry if you are, but why does using carts mean there won't be system and cloud saves?

As for using carts, I am 100% ignorant to this - I would prefer carts; but if the capacity can't compete and if it is more expensive than I say please now! The last thing Nintendo need is any barrier whatsoever to getting 3rd parties to make games!!

I would prefer carts

I read this as "I would prefer cats" and tbf that's what I would prefer as well.

As you said though - if the cost is no different and there isn't a complicated process that would deter 3rd parties I don't really care.

Does anyone know if One/PS4 blu-rays are just blu-rays they can get from any number of manufacturers or do they just get them from one (maybe Sony because it's their IP)? Just wondering if blu-rays can come from all over there will be competitive pricing and a backup if one company couldn't meet demands, but if the carts are unique enough to only come from one manufacturer would that possibly lead to problems?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!