Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

I think it's too heavy, too large and uncomfortable. After 10 minutes my wrists hurt. :blank:

But that's just me ;)

Wish the game would allow me to play with the Pro Controller, but still use the GamePad as the backpack.

Same here. Dont find it nice use for more than 15 mins.

For me, it's just too wide and a bit annoying to hold for longer periods of time. But, that's to be expected when you've got a screen in the middle of the controller. It was unavoidable once Nintendo went with the idea of having the screen there. On the plus side, the pad is symmetrical and the clickable analogues are quite nice. The downside for me is the lack of analogue shoulder buttons and I guess the "clunky" feel of the controller. It just feels so obviously large (because it is) and more of an effort to use because of its size.

Not the best controller they've ever made. I liked the Wiimote for a multitude of reasons. It was smaller, you had freedom of movement with it, you could stretch your arms out as wide or as close as you wanted with the nunchuk attachment. Ergonomically, it felt a lot better to hold, in my opinion. Of course, there were downsides there too. No analogue triggers on the nunchuk and only the one analogue stick (although the motion ability of the Mote made up for that). Overall, I much prefer the Wiimote and am a little bit disappointed that Nintendo didn't go with it as its primary controller for the next system. They should have worked on that, either by making the motionplus model the standard one or evolving it in some way.

The GamePad could definitely be better.

Here's my vision of an improved GamePad (in case anyone missed it the first time):

h3Hya23.jpg

Matte finish! No more fingerprints. :hehe:

Side by side with the fat GamePad :heh: (screen size is identical on both):

Dbc1s2i.jpg

No battery indicator either, would be built into the Home button:

7TO2iXe.jpg

:awesome:

Just played ZombiU for a bit.

And I'll never play it again. The game may be good and the Gamepad is utilized quite well (using it as a backpack; having to look away from the screen just as you would look away from your surroundings in real life while searching your backpack...it's nice and adds to the atmosphere).

However...the Gamepad has to be the worst controller I've ever used. It's too big, it's uncomfortable and it's just not suitable for playing games. Shame, as I was really looking forward to playing ZombiU :(

Thank god, I'll be able to play Smash with other controllers :)

It's not a very confortable controller for me either (reaching for the L and R buttons is painful lol) but it's okay in short bursts.

@RedShell I've said it back then and I'll say it again: Dat improved Gamepad. :heart:

I would.

Same here. Dont find it nice use for more than 15 mins.

Have the same problem as you and @Goron_3. 20 minutes are fine for me. Anything more and it gets painful. And I find the analogue sticks hard to use. They feel...I don't know..."toy-y".

Edited by drahkon

Good episode of The Final Bosman

That explores Dan Adelman leaving Nintendo and their past/present attitude towards quality control on the eShop.

Also, those who disparage Nintendo entering mobile gaming, largely because of the quality of mobile gaming, may take a message away from this.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/5lgw7r/the-final-bosman-the-eshop-of-horrors

Edited by Retro_Link

I think the gamepad is fine. The battery needs changing but that would make it heavier for ye wimps. ;) I don't think ye could take it because by the moans of things, a lot of your arms must be made of pipe cleaners. I think it's comfortable and has everything bar analogue triggers. I have big hands and find other controllers very cramped, e.g. pro controller. I do prefer the remote and nunchuk combo for certain games, like FPS.

Good episode of The Final Bosman

That explores Dan Adelman leaving Nintendo and their past/present attitude towards quality control on the eShop.

Also, those who disparage Nintendo entering mobile gaming, largely because of the quality of mobile gaming, may take a message away from this.

http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/5lgw7r/the-final-bosman-the-eshop-of-horrors

Just watched this now. It's hilarious. Nintendo using Google to essentially spy on people...dunno whether to laugh or cry.

Dat IQ game though. :D

I think the gamepad is fine. The battery needs changing but that would make it heavier for ye wimps. ;) I don't think ye could take it because by the moans of things, a lot of your arms must be made of pipe cleaners. I think it's comfortable and has everything bar analogue triggers. I have big hands and find other controllers very cramped, e.g. pro controller. I do prefer the remote and nunchuk combo for certain games, like FPS.

lol, that's right, people who dislike the weight must be puny and not real men. Amirite?

Let's be honest, the thing feels like a Vtech toy of the late 90's era. It's too large and a bad design for the many people not interested in off screen play (who would rather have their games look good in glorious HD) who want to play their games for extended periods of time. Nintendo will not make a main controller of this size for their next console, it was such a mistake.

I had a similar issue with the pro controller, I found shifting my grip fixed it though

I find it pretty uncomfortable too. Especially the hard buttons.

Edited by Sheikah

Im getting worried about my Wii U, it's done a full system crash twice this week, where I've had to just go and turn it off at the power button.

The USB has stopped working and crashed the console twice this week too, which has never happened in the 6ish months I've had the USB (and weirdly it shouldn't have been in use at the time anyway, first time I was on Netflix and the other time a disc game).

Worst is when I went to play the Wonderful 101. The 101 icon came up but then when I clicked it came up with an error message. Click again and it says the disc may need cleaning. I had a look and I'm not kidding, it was perfect, not a single scratch. Tried it 3 more times and the same happened, on the 4th time the 101 logo didn't even come up, just a question mark saying the disc is not recognised.

lol, that's right, people who dislike the weight must be puny and not real men. Amirite?

It is interesting... I wouldn't consider my self particularly strong, but holding the gamepad for a period of time doesn't really faze me at all. There are a number of possibilities, but for example, I have held children for extended periods of time. THAT hurts. But my point here would be, maybe those of us who have undertaken parental duties may have inadvertently trained their arms for the gamepad - a small child weighs significantly more than the gamepad.

Another possibility is the stance adopted during gameplay may mean some of us bear weight in a more distributed manner.

The final possibility is that there a lot of lilly livered puny weaklings out there.

Or perhaps a mixture of any/all of those three :D

I find it pretty uncomfortable too. Especially the hard buttons.

it's not so much the comfort over all, just the grip is a tiny bit off. If I hold the gamepad, simply as an object, my hand takes hold of it naturally, it's all good. I can get to the ZL/ZR buttons, all the face buttons/control sticks are fine. But there's too much tension if I go to use the R/L buttons. so I have to hold the gamepad a bit looser, shift my hands further down so that it's not the middle of my fingers hitting the buttons, but the final segment.

I remember complaints about the GC pad being too small. I never had issues with it at the time, but now with this pad, which is larger, I seem to be having issues with it being small. and afaik I haven't grown in the last decade :D

Although maybe I have and just didn't notice it :(

Im getting worried about my Wii U, it's done a full system crash twice this week, where I've had to just go and turn it off at the power button.

The USB has stopped working and crashed the console twice this week too, which has never happened in the 6ish months I've had the USB (and weirdly it shouldn't have been in use at the time anyway, first time I was on Netflix and the other time a disc game).

Worst is when I went to play the Wonderful 101. The 101 icon came up but then when I clicked it came up with an error message. Click again and it says the disc may need cleaning. I had a look and I'm not kidding, it was perfect, not a single scratch. Tried it 3 more times and the same happened, on the 4th time the 101 logo didn't even come up, just a question mark saying the disc is not recognised.

I've heard that Nintendo's repair service offers a 1st class service.

It is interesting... I wouldn't consider my self particularly strong, but holding the gamepad for a period of time doesn't really faze me at all. There are a number of possibilities, but for example, I have held children for extended periods of time. THAT hurts. But my point here would be, maybe those of us who have undertaken parental duties may have inadvertently trained their arms for the gamepad - a small child weighs significantly more than the gamepad.

Another possibility is the stance adopted during gameplay may mean some of us bear weight in a more distributed manner.

The final possibility is that there a lot of lilly livered puny weaklings out there.

Or perhaps a mixture of any/all of those three :D

I was joking by the way. :p

Nobody is weak, that was a silly thing for people to suggest (hence the sarcasm), what I'm saying is that the size makes it heavier than what many or us are comfortable with based on the use of our other devices.

I've heard that Nintendo's repair service offers a 1st class* service.

Nintendo: First class refers to the shipping service used to send the console back to you. Actual service terrible.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

God fucking damn, my hand, fingers and wrist are killing me. I cannot get into a comfortable position when using Art Academy.

Anyway kinda from start to finish, my rough Batman Beyond.

There was a part before this but it was just sausages and circles.

4fTGagi.jpg

MbUAJkc.jpg

nbgSlDX.jpg