Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

I'm just trying to help people not get over-hyped.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope they announce some awesome stuff. I've just lost faith in them though, I can't hype myself for it no matter what. I just feel they'll let me down in more aspects than please me.

@dazzybee their online may be vastly improving by their standards but by industry standards they're still behind the times and don't show evidence that they'll draw level to those standards.

Constant E3 streaming is ok but only if they've got things to show that will draw in big interest. Last year they thought announcing Wii Fit Trainer as a character in Smash Bros was major news...

The Smash Invitational... I could not are any less for this at all, why would anyone? I don't get it. Do you guys also get excited for stuff like the CoD Championships? If I'm not playing or it's not a preview/review why would I even care? I just don't get it.

Also, we don't know release dates of games yet, there's speculation and guesswork but nothing is set in stone. Hell, look at Donkey Kong, that release was given to us, then put back months... anything could happen with release dates.

The Gamecube pad adapter, unless they announce GC VC this is no big deal in the slightest.

Also, of games announced I'm only hyped for Smash and X, not one other game looks that good to me... and if Smash doesn't have full voice-chat I'll lose plenty of my hype towards it. To me the console looks like a bit of a lame duck currently.

Dazzy, I've not even got Mario Kart. I don't know when I'll pick it up, maybe next week, maybe so eying thereafter... if it had full voice-chat and a proper Battle Mode, I'd have bought it and I'd even joined the N-E League!

Wow. So much of this post is exactly my sentiments too. Their lacklustre online really stings me at the moment, and it's affecting what I actually want to buy.

Admittedly I am excited for the smash invitational - but that's due to what the Smash Brothers documentary did for me and the fact I might watch it with my Smash Brothers. However I'm exactly the same with MK at the moment - the lack of voice chat hit me hard, the only thing possibly tempting me is the free game deal which I might use to pick up Wind Waker. I know that even if Smash doesn't have voice chat during match(but oh how I desperately desperately hope it does) I'll still pick it up - but that's because I'm in a better position to have folks gather together to play it now, and it really has been a cracking local experience and big part of my multiplayer gaming over the years, such good memories.

I thought the GC Pad announcement was great! From what I heard they don't allow wireless controllers for tournaments? So Smash4 would have been pretty screwed without it!

And call me a stubborn bastard, but I can't imagine Smash Bros without a GameCube pad! I never played the orginal so got that on VC, so literally every Smash game I've played has been with that pad.

Huh, I could swear it was the beginning of June, not July.

Thanks, anyway :)

Is is June, dunno why I write July. 1 week on Tuesday.

Edit: Wow, it's 1 week on Tuesday actually.

Edited by Ike

Yo guys, need help with an issue that's pissing me off.

Okay, when the Wii U goes past a certain point of inactivity the pro controller will turn off to conserve battery. I accidentally set the gamepad as the default controller when I get back, but when I try to resync the pro controller, it only allows me to control the OS and not the game unless I turn the system off or wait for it go past that point of inactivity again.

Does any one know the way to quickly return the game controls to another controller?

Which game? I think normally you just need to go back to the title screen and press A or +.

Actually, isn't there a reconnect function on the gamepad when you press the home button?

Edited by Ike

There's not much that makes me feel my age more than grappling with modern technology. As I say, my Wii U arrived at approximately 12.15pm today, and I managed to have a quick blast of Mario Kart 8 no later than 10pm!

In all seriousness, I went to the gym first and didn't tackle the Wii U until the evening, but this is why it was so complex/time-consuming (think this is the correct order):

1) Imported my Mii from 3DS

2) Did a System Update

3) Linked Wii U to my NNID

4) Linked Wii U eShop to my Club Nintendo account

5) Transferred Wii software to Wii U

Phew! Not rocket science, but it was a lot for a Luddite to cope with! Anyway, let's get the grumbles out of the way first. I really don't like the fact you can't plug the GamePad into the console itself (via the USB ports, for example) and block the wireless signal. I know there is software like Panorama View, but it's not exactly Wii Sports so I don't see why the controller has to be wireless at all times. The other thing I really don't like is that, unlike the 3DS, I can't find an option to turn Wi-Fi off. In theory that could be fixed with a system update, and as for the controller, I'm personally hoping future games can be played with GameCube pads (naïve, maybe, but that's what I hope).

Anyway, when I finally did experience three minutes of Mario Kart 8 I was extremely impressed. The graphics are brilliant. In no way does the Wii U feel behind the times. I'll have another go in a minute, and soon I'll be able to play the beautiful Wind Waker HD - a remake of pretty much my favourite game ever. Had a few browses on the eShop too and am very tempted to buy so much on there. I haven't fallen in love with it quite as quickly as the 3DS, but I do like it a lot more than the Wii.

When I used to play on the GameCube I always wondered where Nintendo would go in the future. Now we have a machine with gorgeous HD graphics and traditional(-ish) controls. Give or take a few issues, Wii U is pretty much the Nintendo machine I've been waiting for.

Yo guys, need help with an issue that's pissing me off.

Okay, when the Wii U goes past a certain point of inactivity the pro controller will turn off to conserve battery. I accidentally set the gamepad as the default controller when I get back, but when I try to resync the pro controller, it only allows me to control the OS and not the game unless I turn the system off or wait for it go past that point of inactivity again.

Does any one know the way to quickly return the game controls to another controller?

If you press the Home button, one of the selectable middle buttons is Set Controllers (or something very similar). Hit it and it'll allow you to reset all controllers, then turn on any other ones you need manually and in the order you want.

Glad to see you like it Grazza :)

There's not much that makes me feel my age more than grappling with modern technology. As I say, my Wii U arrived at approximately 12.15pm today, and I managed to have a quick blast of Mario Kart 8 no later than 10pm!

In all seriousness, I went to the gym first and didn't tackle the Wii U until the evening, but this is why it was so complex/time-consuming (think this is the correct order):

2) Did a System Update

Phew! Not rocket science, but it was a lot for a Luddite to cope with! Anyway, let's get the grumbles out of the way first. I really don't like the fact you can't plug the GamePad into the console itself (via the USB ports, for example) and block the wireless signal. I know there is software like Panorama View, but it's not exactly Wii Sports so I don't see why the controller has to be wireless at all times. The other thing I really don't like is that, unlike the 3DS, I can't find an option to turn Wi-Fi off. In theory that could be fixed with a system update, and as for the controller, I'm personally hoping future games can be played with GameCube pads (naïve, maybe, but that's what I hope).

Anyway, when I finally did experience three minutes of Mario Kart 8 I was extremely impressed. The graphics are brilliant. In no way does the Wii U feel behind the times. I'll have another go in a minute, and soon I'll be able to play the beautiful Wind Waker HD - a remake of pretty much my favourite game ever. Had a few browses on the eShop too and am very tempted to buy so much on there. I haven't fallen in love with it quite as quickly as the 3DS, but I do like it a lot more than the Wii.

When I used to play on the GameCube I always wondered where Nintendo would go in the future. Now we have a machine with gorgeous HD graphics and traditional(-ish) controls. Give or take a few issues, Wii U is pretty much the Nintendo machine I've been waiting for.

But if you want to use a wired connection instead of a wired one, the Wii U will automatically switch off the WiFi if you connect a Wii USB LAN adapter...

... except for the special custom WiFi for the Gamepad signal. That can't be switched off... for obvious reasons :p

2) Did a System Update

One of us :)

Knew people would like the Wii U more once they got their hands on it!

One of us :)

Knew people would like the Wii U more once they got their hands on it!

I think it's more to do with the software TBH. Mario Kart seems to be the title that gave people that little nudge that was needed. The console already has some amazing titles but Mario Kart is the killer game that people were waiting for.

It's such a shame it wasnt ready for Christmas as it could have been the Wii U's big hit during the holiday season.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I think it's more to do with the software TBH. Mario Kart has seemed to be the title that was give people that little nudge that was needed. The console already has some amazing titles but Mario Kart is the killer game that people were waiting for.

It's such a shame it was ready for Christmas as it could have been the Wii U's big hit during the holiday season.

Well the reason why I buy a console is the software itself.

Nintendo should hold off releasing future consoles until they have a 3D Mario, Zelda or Mario Kart game ready to rock. Just shows how important these franchises are. :indeed: I do think it's more to do with genres and their perceptions. Gamers seem to require racers/sports games/shooters and epic 3D worlds to explore. 2D platformers and party games obviously don't shift consoles anymore.

Nintendo should hold off releasing future consoles until they have a 3D Mario, Zelda or Mario Kart game ready to rock. Just shows how important these franchises are. :indeed: I do think it's more to do with genres and their perceptions. Gamers seem to require racers/sports games/shooters and epic 3D worlds to explore. 2D platformers and party games obviously don't shift consoles anymore.

But then what would they have for the life of the console?

But then what would they have for the life of the console?
Strong sequels!? Both Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Majora's Mask let Nintendo just have fun with the game engine. Galaxy 2 just got crazier, and MM let them do something very unique.

Personally I preferred Galaxy 1 and OOT, but for many the sequels were even better. This can only be a good thing for the consoles.

Edited by Retro_Link

I think it's more to do with the software TBH. Mario Kart seems to be the title that gave people that little nudge that was needed. The console already has some amazing titles but Mario Kart is the killer game that people were waiting for.

Also, it's really good value now. Not a desperate, giveaway price, but for circa £200 you can get the console, Mario Kart and another genuinely great game free.

Massively agree with the bolded bit, although I'm not sure they need their absolute biggest titles at launch. WaveRace, F-Zero and 1080 would have done it for me - something to show off the graphics. Nintendoland is not my sort of thing, NSMB looks nice and sharp, but not really "wow" and Pikmin 3 was the right sort of thing but can't 100% shake off its Wii origins.

That said, I'm a hypocrite, as I can't wait to but Pikmin and NSMB now. :heh:

2) Did a System Update

Glad you're happy. This is basically how I felt, and the feeling I still have of the Wii U - If you give it a fair chance its actually not bad at all, or not as bad as the sales figures make it out to be.

Maybe make some new IPs if the lure of a strong launch line up has hooked in a lot of customers?

A new IP for the sake of a new IP is pointless. Nintendo has shown countless times that new IPs just don't sell. Sure, some do once in a blue moon, but most don't.

People need to stop using them as a crutch of what the company should do. Especially when they do make new IPs and people just dismiss them, saying things like "Where's Mario/Zelda?"

Edited by Serebii

It's such a shame it wasnt ready for Christmas as it could have been the Wii U's big hit during the holiday season.

If it had been ready for Christmas it would have been a huge help. It's doing great now but you know what Christmas would have been like. Looking at it though they were nowhere near, sure it's 5 months, 6 really if you want to get the real Christmas shop. You know I think it's still not complete, they threw battle mode together and wanted to get this out the door before E3. They couldn't wait any longer. I think there'll be DLC for more traditional battle mode.

I think maybe F-Zero will be announced at E3 and that's partly why MK8 had it's release yesterday. Just a theory.

A new IP for the sake of a new IP is pointless. Nintendo has shown countless times that new IPs just don't sell. Sure, some do once in a blue moon, but most don't.

People need to stop using them as a crutch of what the company should do. Especially when they do make new IPs and people just dismiss them, saying things like "Where's Mario/Zelda?"

If they have exhausted their roster of franchises, then a new IP wouldn't be pointless.

That was the point here, a hypothetical where Nintendo released a new console with their big franchises at launch. Your second paragraph is irrelevant in this crazy hypothetical scenario.

Edited by Ashley