Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Well they're not saying anything, they're revealing awesome things and these things are not "important" enough for their E3 presentation which means we're getting hyped

I'm just trying to help people not get over-hyped.

Don't get me wrong, I do hope they announce some awesome stuff. I've just lost faith in them though, I can't hype myself for it no matter what. I just feel they'll let me down in more aspects than please me.

@dazzybee their online may be vastly improving by their standards but by industry standards they're still behind the times and don't show evidence that they'll draw level to those standards.

Constant E3 streaming is ok but only if they've got things to show that will draw in big interest. Last year they thought announcing Wii Fit Trainer as a character in Smash Bros was major news...

The Smash Invitational... I could not are any less for this at all, why would anyone? I don't get it. Do you guys also get excited for stuff like the CoD Championships? If I'm not playing or it's not a preview/review why would I even care? I just don't get it.

Also, we don't know release dates of games yet, there's speculation and guesswork but nothing is set in stone. Hell, look at Donkey Kong, that release was given to us, then put back months... anything could happen with release dates.

The Gamecube pad adapter, unless they announce GC VC this is no big deal in the slightest.

Also, of games announced I'm only hyped for Smash and X, not one other game looks that good to me... and if Smash doesn't have full voice-chat I'll lose plenty of my hype towards it. To me the console looks like a bit of a lame duck currently.

Dazzy, I've not even got Mario Kart. I don't know when I'll pick it up, maybe next week, maybe so eying thereafter... if it had full voice-chat and a proper Battle Mode, I'd have bought it and I'd even joined the N-E League!

Edited by Kav

Don't get me wrong, I do hope they announce some awesome stuff. I've just lost faith in them though, I can't hype myself for it no matter what. I just feel they'll let me down in more aspects than please me.

@dazzybee their online may be vastly improving by their standards but by industry standards they're still behind the times and don't show evidence that they'll draw level to those standards.

Also, we don't know release dates of games yet, there's speculation and guesswork but nothing is set in stone. Hell, look at Donkey Kong, that release was given to us, then put back months... anything could happen with release dates.

Also, of games announced I'm only hyped for Smash and X, not one other game looks that good to me... and if Smash doesn't have full voice-chat I'll lose plenty of my hype towards it. To me the console looks like a bit of a lame duck currently.

Dazzy, I've not even got Mario Kart. I don't know when I'll pick it up, maybe next week, maybe so eying thereafter... if it had full voice-chat and a proper Battle Mode, I'd have bought it and I'd even joined the N-E League!

Fair enoug, if a console doesn't do it for you then it's pretty simple. And yeah, their communication is still disappointing (I'm personally not that bothered about that though), but their tournaments in golf and kart are better than any other game offers, so they do some stuff better, a lot of stuff worse, but ultimately the fact they're improving should be a positive sign!

I mean, I do think e3 is the real test to see where they're moving in the future, but I think the signs are unbelievably positive.

Fair enoug, if a console doesn't do it for you then it's pretty simple. And yeah, their communication is still disappointing (I'm personally not that bothered about that though), but their tournaments in golf and kart are better than any other game offers, so they do some stuff better, a lot of stuff worse, but ultimately the fact they're improving should be a positive sign!

I mean, I do think e3 is the real test to see where they're moving in the future, but I think the signs are unbelievably positive.

I love the Wii U as much as the next man and I'm certainly one of the more positive posters on here, BUT, if there is no mention of any football and golf games at E3 then I won't be a happy bunny. It's going to cost me north of £500 to get a PS4 just to play FIFA and Tiger.

I love the Wii U as much as the next man and I'm certainly one of the more positive posters on here, BUT, if there is no mention of any football and golf games at E3 then I won't be a happy bunny. It's going to cost me north of £500 to get a PS4 just to play FIFA and Tiger.

You might as order one now then as there wont be any football or golf games announced for wii u at E3. Not a chance!!!

Constant E3 streaming is ok but only if they've got things to show that will draw in big interest. Last year they thought announcing Wii Fit Trainer as a character in Smash Bros was major news...

The Smash Invitational... I could not are any less for this at all, why would anyone? I don't get it. Do you guys also get excited for stuff like the CoD Championships? If I'm not playing or it's not a preview/review why would I even care? I just don't get it.

The Gamecube pad adapter, unless they announce GC VC this is no big deal in the slightest.

You've got a game which has never really been shown publically in any kind of detail, being played by the best people in the world who know how to showcase the great content in it. On top of that, it's argubly the best party game on the planet AND the best fighting (although Third Strike is also awesome). It's going to be great to watch. 'Do you guys get excited about COD championships'. Well, Melee has been a staple of competitive gaming for OVER a a decade; it broken records for fundraising at Apex last year and broke live stream records by a country mile. It's also had a recent documentary based on it which got fantastic reviews and has done VERY well on youtube.

On the final point, it's Nintendo acknowledging their fans and they are doing it in spectacular fashion. If you love Smash, it will be well worth watching. It's like watching a stage demo but 100x better.

What if they announce Mario Golf U and Mario Strikers U? :heh:

I guess it's just not for me then. I've seen plenty of videos of the top Smash players on Melee and it just didn't interest me in the slightest. I'd rather read a well written and explanatory hands-on and a few vids of average gamers playing it in all honesty.

I've been doing some freelance work for a company that livestreams esports and the twice-weekly Counter Strike Global Offensive games are attractive 44,000+ viewers. Big events (such as tournaments like this) attract far greater.

I don't understand it myself, but it does seem that there is a sizeable audience for this kind of thing.

If NINTENDO gives us an F-Zero which can rival GX in terms of greatness, I will forever hold them dear to my heart...

Ah, who am I kidding, I already do.

BUT I WANT ME A NEW F-ZERO!

As I've said before, I'd settle for an HD F-Zero GX port with online. That game was so ahead of its time, it's unreal.

As I've said before, I'd settle for an HD F-Zero GX port with online. That game was so ahead of its time, it's unreal.

Online online or Nintendo online?

;)

*runs away*

But seriously, that would be sweet.

As I've said before, I wouldn't and it wouldn't be in line with the NINTENDO spirit.

I know people would settle with GX, HD and 32 players online, but would that really be doing the franchise and its amazing legacy justice?

Have GX function as a starting point from which you flesh out every character and their back story/world more and you've got yourself a priced bovine!

Let some developer get creative with it and add something new to the franchise as well, like space 360 degrees racing when the track launches you into the stratosphere of the planet where you're racing, leading you through thunderclouds and other space anomalies.

I want that world so fleshed out you can literally see the space-hams floating in the sky.

What if they announce Mario Golf U and Mario Strikers U? :heh:

Mario Golf U so soon after the 3DS version would be a dumb move and Nintendo are not that stupid and Mario Strikers isn't exactly a replacement for Fifa is it.

Edited by liger05

Mario Golf U so soon after the 3DS version would be a dumb move and Nintendo are not that stupid and Mario Strikers isn't exactly a replacement for Fifa is it.

I can live without FIFA for the foreseeable future, quite happy to update rosters on 13, but I spent a lot of time playing Tiger Woods on the Wii, motion controls were brilliant, and I really miss it. Why they can't do a RPG style golf game like Mario Golf Advance is beyond me. Imagine when yo enter a tournament and instead of AI you're playing online against other humans. And the same with a tennis game.

There's "a bit of positivity" and then there's full-blown deluded positivity.

Things may look better after E3 but for all we know, things could look worse. This is Nintendo, they did tell us before things like "We learned from our mistakes, there'll not be droughts going forward" and "online is the air that gamers breathe, we want to give you as much of that air as possible".

I don't believe anything they say anymore.

Yes I'd rather deal with facts than being optimistic. History has taught me that. Being optimistic hasn't worked out so well since about 2010. Don't get me wrong, there's been some amazing games(Xenoblade Chronicles being the pinnacle) but overall it hasn't been great. Like I said, 2 great retail games in 6 months and what's preceded it. With the release of MK8 and E3 imminent, people are quick to forget the famines and mistakes.

It's good that others remain positive, I've been burnt too many times that I tend to be negative or cautious. It's not just that, it's some of the games that they do produce, be it NES Remix, Nintendo Land, Wii Fit U, Game & Wario, Karaoke U, Wii Sports U and Wii Party U are awful and lazy in my opinion. Not my cup of tea. I'll stop now as I'm starting to rant.

So, I take it that the recent Nintendo announcements are them "warming the bench" (so to speak) before E3?

When is their video/direct/press release/not-conference, again?

Seems to be the case, or at least getting their smaller announcements (see: Pullbox Worlds, Chibi Robo) out of the way.

Their "Digital Event" is 10th June at 5pm for us, I think?

Edited by Ike
Corrected month.

You could just pick up a cheap preowned 360/PS3 and get them on that. That way you're probably looking at 150 or so for the console and those 2 games, that should see you through a few years at least. PS3 will be free online too.