NEurope
Cube

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

So I started this last week with a bit of time sunk in to it on Saturday.

I'm not sure what I think. I enjoy the general openness/quests anywhere, and the sheer amount of shit there is to pick up(rpg hoarder here :p) but at the same time it's a bit overwhelming and I'm not sure if I know what I'm doing. I also accidentally wasted a stat point forgetting that I need an open slot to equip things, which early on is tedious as it's obvs reduced my being better through levelling, as it were. I haven't quite got the fighting down, and I'm not entirely sure when I should head for the first big main quest. I can see it growing on me, but so far I feel like I've done a lot but achieved little.

I was super shit at the start and it took me a while before I started doing anything productive.

I died. A lot. If it could kill me, then it did. I think I didn't find it frustrating because I went from Bloodborne to this and you die a lot in that game and have to think quite strategically. Don't be afraid to read up on the creatures in the Bestiary and identify their weaknesses, such as which signs to use.

Stick with it, it has a definite learning curve. I had absolutely no idea what I was doing at the start.

Something to take into consideration is that once you're a certain number of levels (I think 5) over the recommended quest level you won't receive any xp for completing it. I think this counts for main missions as well as sidequests.

Kinda glad to hear it isn't just me then, I'll try and give it a bit more time this evening and see how I get on!

Very much reiterating what everyone's already said, but I deeply loathed the game for the first few hours, and now its probably in my top three games of all time - so battle through! I also feel like Velen is generally less interesting than Novigrad and Skellige, which you see later in the game.

I'd actually recommend bumping the difficulty down for the first few hours and then putting it back up. The difficulty curve is stupid / enemy strength is poorly weighted when you're at a low level.

Also that shield sign is a must use - I didn't use it for the first like, 40 hours, and then felt like an idiot when I realised how much easier it makes any fight ever

Yeah, Quen was the first thing I concentrated on improving, it was a must-have in the previous games and I remembered for this one.

I would also getting the second Axii skill (puppet) as well. You can pretty much clear out groups by hanging on the outskirts and getting them to attack each other. Then Quen is great for 1 on 1 big fights.

I would also getting the second Axii skill (puppet) as well. You can pretty much clear out groups by hanging on the outskirts and getting them to attack each other. Then Quen is great for 1 on 1 big fights.

This is especially useful whilst playing through Death March difficulty.

Is Axii the mind control one for conversations as well? I did end up with a quick googling of tings and it was recommended to level that first, otherwise I was putting my points into the adrenaline or something where you do more damage with successive hits/not taking damage as it's probably the way I'm likely to most play the game.

Definitely contemplated stepping down @dan\-likes\-trees as I find myself currently meditating a lot for a quick health fix(though I'm dying less, so that's a plus) - intrigued that so many of you had a similar starting experience with it! Definitely ramping my interest back up. I'll stick with the current difficultly and plod on(though I'd usually not) and see how it all goes.

I focused initially on getting my Igni, health and "one handed" combat attack stats up, have started focusing on getting Quen and Axii after having a few mates recommend i do that.

Ended up on destiny and rocket league more than I planned, but still gave this an hour or two. Did the griffin so got a crossbow, got a crafting/alchemy tute, subsequently shot a cat(feels bad man) with crossbow followed by some cows and fowl(not so bad :p) and a side quest with a well that had some nice steps and unlocked a bit of story from the herbalist(also love ransacking the garden). Can see how the game grows on you, or rather you just resign yourself to the fact that it is how it is and get on with things. Not knowing much switcher law I wasnt sure what to expect, but it seems they're slightly cuntier than I'd have liked - but I'm getting to a point where I feel like I'll stop being nice and take money whenever I can. Interesting how it seems to push in that direction (at least to me anyway).

@Rummy

I hope you are doing all side quests and witcher contracts too!!

@Blade I leave few question marks and the notice board unturned! Discovered a few places of power that have helped with levelling the abilities a bit too. Reckon I'll probs head off with Vesemir soon as there's maybe only a couple ?s I haven't touched, can come back later for them I imagine!

What's everybody's opinions on Gwent BTW?

Edited by Rummy

^ I second that. Quite hard to get in to (you gotta have a few good cards to beat anyone really) but truely addictive once you do. Fond memories of riding across all of Skellige just to find new merchants to battle.

DLC screenshots for the final expansion out the other day!

TW3BAW_The_palace_of_Beauclair_EN.png

TW3BAW_Toussaint_is_famous_for_its_wine_and_vineyards_EN.png

Looking forward to diving back in : peace:

Was Toussain that place that Triss went to after her storyline finished?

Was Toussain that place that Triss went to after her storyline finished?

I think Triss went to Kovir with the other mages, but not 100% sure! All I know is that the best wine comes from Toussaint (hence the DLC title). :)

Looking forward to this bit of DLC, the screens look lovely!

Played quite a bit last week, but put this on hold for another week as i really want to get another game complete

Roach killed me on ride through to open some fast travel points, damn horse got caught on a wall and i got wiped clean by an enemy. Damn horse.

I managed to reach level 14 yesterday, did a main mission or two as well as many side quests and a Witcher contract. Trying to hunt down Dandelion at present, been talking to his "lovers" as it were. Unlocked an extra quest in doing this, for being a sword teacher to one of his "lovers". Have crafted a few things, including a Witcher sword and a standard long sword for when i reach level 16.

Definetly one of the better games i've played this year, will certainly put a lot of time into this over the Christmas period.

My mind is fucking blown. BLOWN. I thought I knew EVERYTHING about this game, but I clearly don't...

Keira gets fucking impaled by Radovid if you don't send her to Kaer Morhen or kill her yourself!

I had no fucking idea! Just watched the video right now...mind blown. Horrible, horrible death.

Dude, you could have spoilered that shit. Now there's no point in me playing the game!

Dude, you could have spoilered that shit. Now there's no point in me playing the game!

u are 1 ****ing cheeky kunt mate i swear i am goin 2 wreck u i swear on me mums life i wil hook u in de gabba

Link that video. I can't remember that shit happening.

I know!

Before I go for this. Is the result of this from DLC? Any of it.

Nope.

This is one of the results from the "For the Advancement of Learning" quests that appears fairly early on in the game.

You are presented with numerous options at the end of that quest. You can either let Keira go to Kaer Morhen, you can let her to go bargain with Radovid or you can fight her, which will kill her.

This video is the result of what happens if you choose the second option and let her go to Radovid.

Progress so far

Reached level 35, got 2 complete sets of Mastercrafted Armour (Griffin + Wolf). All Witcher contracts done, started on the Hearts of Stone DLC. Decided to fight that chap after the manor was torched, was an interesting battle to say the least. Certainly been learning a lot about the oils and the signs, battles are certainly a lot easier when knowing this stuff.

Progress so far

Reached level 35, got 2 complete sets of Mastercrafted Armour (Griffin + Wolf). All Witcher contracts done, started on the Hearts of Stone DLC. Decided to fight that chap after the manor was torched, was an interesting battle to say the least. Certainly been learning a lot about the oils and the signs, battles are certainly a lot easier when knowing this stuff.

I enjoyed the Hearts of Stone DLC, was a nice addition to the game. Plus they add some better weapons and ways to upgrade your weapons/armour. :)

Really looking forward to the next DLC, whenever they decide to release it. I think I will play through the game on the hardest difficulty then as well to try and grab that Platinum (I started on it but got sidetracked by other games).

I think when I get my new PC at the end of the month I'm going to rebuy Witcher 3 for it along with the expansion pass and start a new playthrough. I've been in the mood to play it again recently and I think this would be a good excuse. (Plus I could turn things like durability off if I feel like it!)

I really want to play through this again, but I feel guilty playing more of this instead of some other games. My backlog will just continue growing.

Saying that, I really, reeeeeally just want Blood and Wine here now. Tempted to play through that and Hearts of Stone at the same time.