N-Europe

Boston Marathon Explosion

Fierce_LiNk

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the guy is caught and put in solitary confinement for the duration of his sentence people here will bitch and moan saying its too harsh a punishment.

I know, right? Complaining about lifelong torture. Next they'll be bitching about guantanamo bay and marriage equality for homosexuals.

I know, right? Complaining about lifelong torture. Next they'll be bitching about guantanamo bay and marriage equality for homosexuals.

Different situations. I don't disagree with with people bitching Guantanamo or marriage equality.

But still, you're funny!

If the guy is caught and put in solitary confinement for the duration of his sentence people here will bitch and moan saying its too harsh a punishment.

There's a difference between a guy who kills two cops in the heat of the moment and a guy who plans a terrorist act like this. If lifelong solitary is what the first crime deserves, then nothing short of banishing the culprit's soul to limbo for eternity will suffice for the latter.

(For those confused, Kav was making a reference to another thread we had about a guy getting lifelong solitary confinement for killing two cops back in the 80s)

There's a difference between a guy who kills two cops in the heat of the moment and a guy who plans a terrorist act like this. If lifelong solitary is what the first crime deserves, then nothing short of banishing the culprit's soul to limbo for eternity will suffice for the latter.

(For those confused, Kav was making a reference to another thread we had about a guy getting lifelong solitary confinement for killing two cops back in the 80s)

Heat of the moment or not, I still believe solitary isn't too harsh a punishment for what he did... and if that punishment really is that bad then I believe the person that planned the bombings deserves that punishment too.

...and sorry to all for the wind up, I'm just a cheeky git.

For me I don't get why people say some punishments can be too harsh, especially in the case of (proven) killers/terrorists/rapists

In my view if someone takes away another persons basic human right to life then that person should forego their own claims to human rights and humane treatment.

For me I don't get why people say some punishments can be too harsh, especially in the case of (proven) killers/terrorists/rapists

In my view if someone takes away another persons basic human right to life then that person should forego their own claims to human rights and humane treatment.

I've always felt that the death penalty was hypocritical, though. What, killing someone is an abominable act, but if the state does it then it's okay?

And I also feel that prisons should be about rehabilitation. Of course, a dumb kid who kills because he felt threatened is much different from an individual who purposefully kills innocent bystanders. The first one can be rehabilitated and turn himself into a productive member of society, the second one likely can't.

Punishing someone for the sake of punishment doesn't serve much of a purpose.

The main thing I've learnt from all of this is that social media is not a suitable source of information during a crisis. I think I kind of knew that already though.

Some social media sites seemed to have very reliable and fast news - sometimes much more reliable than professional media.

I don't know enough about the investigative work Reddit and 4chan did for the Boston bombings to draw a fully educated conclusion, but I'm pretty sure whatever fucked up credibility they had for this type of thing has now been destroyed by their actions.

This won't stop them getting involved in future incidents, but I hope some lessons have been learned.

I don't know enough about the investigative work Reddit and 4chan did for the Boston bombings to draw a fully educated conclusion, but I'm pretty sure whatever fucked up credibility they had for this type of thing has now been destroyed by their actions.

This won't stop them getting involved in future incidents, but I hope some lessons have been learned.

What actions?

What actions?

I think this should cover it.

Also a good read on the subject.

Their detective work and all the actions taken to try and substantiate the claims is pretty remarkable, it's just kind of fucked up that they ended up deciding two innocent bystanders were responsible based on pretty flimsy criteria.

Reddit took down their Boston Bombers subreddit pretty soon after the actual suspects were identified. A think a few calls for apologies were also made to the people who were singled out.

Edited by Guy

By far the worst part of that is how a professional news company used that information without checking it. Like how numerous professional news sources misidentified the Newtown shooter.

I completely agree. While it's a little concerning that social media websites isolated people due to a certain flimsy (and pretty racist) criteria, the real issue and lesson to be learned is that professional news companies should be a little more cautious with which stories they run. More innocent people could have been hurt as a result of this.

Professional news companies use Reddit all the fucking time. Seriously, something trends on Reddit and about three days later it's in the paper or up on the site.

I actually just get all my news from Reddit now (how much I believe is a completely different matter).

When you decide to terminate life, you forgo your rights to be treated fairly and compassionately as a human. There is no rehab that can undo murder. The families of the deceased will have to pay a price for the rest of their lives, how exactly is solitary confinement unfair in that regard. I'm continually amazed at how people still feel murderers in this regard deserve to be treated with humility. I don't totally agree with the death penalty, not because I'm against the death but for me it's an easy way out. There is no crime worse than murdering another human, simple as that.

Punishment for the sake of punishment is just that, it doesn't need a purpose, there is no end goal. No amount of punishment could be worse than what the relatives of the deceased are going through. Society doesn't have to be the 'bigger man'. You cross a line like this, you're no longer welcome to be treated like a human.

Turns out a lot of people on social media are pretty shocking at geography, too.

Chechnya, the Chechnen Republic and Česko, the Czech Republic, are the same thing, right?

That doesn't surprise me in the slightest given how bad most americans are with giography outside of the US, what worries me is that there are giography challenged americans who would go vigilante on Czech republic citizens without a second thought, their ignorance can be dangerous, just like could happen with the wrongfully identified bombers