Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wii U / Switch

darkjak

Wait, does this mean there is no Digital Event/Nintendo Direct for E3? I assumed we would at least still get one showing various 3DS and Wii U games?

Don't you think they would have mentioned a digital event if there was one?

It would be weird to not mention one. They always have done in the past.

I'm not going to quote your whole post, Zechs, but I did read it.

You are right in everything you wrote. But you missed out on one very important thing, which I have been pointing out time and time again. Nintendo are not just simply a software publisher. If Nintendo were a software publisher, their Wii U lineup would've been perfectly logical.

But now they're in the business of selling consoles. That means that it's good business sense to develop games that are less profitable that will get people to buy the console. Then they'll have a bigger user base to potentially buys games, third parties will release their games for it and pay licese fees and perhaps they'll be able to launch a paid service to get extra content online.

The Order 1886 probably made a lot of people choose the PS4 over the XBONE. Probably way more people than who actually ended up buying the game. Things are no different for Nintendo. If Nintendo release F-Zero, people might be swayed by it because it looks flashy and different. Even though they don't want to buy it themselves. But a sixth, seventh or eight fucking sidescroller is probably not going to shift a single console.

Yes! That's my point! And it's more crucial for Nintendo to get this with the lack of third party support.

Looks like a Direct/Digital event isn't happening.

ChsP_1jXIAIC3ng.jpg:large

What the hell? :(

This must have to do with the NX. Surely all signs point to that being the big thing but has somehow been pushed back to next year. I refuse to believe that they planned on showing up to E3 with just Zelda.

Looks like a Direct/Digital event isn't happening.

ChsP_1jXIAIC3ng.jpg:large

What the hell? :(

This must have to do with the NX. Surely all signs point to that being the big thing but has somehow been pushed back to next year. I refuse to believe that they planned on showing up to E3 with just Zelda.

It's bizarre. The 4 month delay shouldn't have caused this. It's still well within 12 months of launch.

My only thinking is that they want all the attention when they reveal NX. They want to control the narrative, not have it being compared to the other stuff that is at E3.

I take a week off work for E3 and have done so for MANY years now. I may not bother this year. Sons a bitches have ruined my E3 hype.

*throws toys out of pram*

I'll let you know if I hear when the NX reveal is, you can take that week off instead :p

I take a week off work for E3 and have done so for MANY years now. I may not bother this year. Sons a bitches have ruined my E3 hype.

*throws toys out of pram*

For once, I actually agree with you. My E3 hype just got shot in the face.

Now I just don't care.

My only thinking is that they want all the attention when they reveal NX. They want to control the narrative, not have it being compared to the other stuff that is at E3.

Understandable, but what's stopping them from showing off some future 3DS/WiiU titles?

3DS does have a pretty great lineup coming up after all.

I'm not going to quote your whole post, Zechs, but I did read it.

You are right in everything you wrote. But you missed out on one very important thing, which I have been pointing out time and time again. Nintendo are not just simply a software publisher. If Nintendo were a software publisher, their Wii U lineup would've been perfectly logical.

But now they're in the business of selling consoles. That means that it's good business sense to develop games that are less profitable that will get people to buy the console. Then they'll have a bigger user base to potentially buys games, third parties will release their games for it and pay licese fees and perhaps they'll be able to launch a paid service to get extra content online.

The Order 1886 probably made a lot of people choose the PS4 over the XBONE. Probably way more people than who actually ended up buying the game. Things are no different for Nintendo. If Nintendo release F-Zero, people might be swayed by it because it looks flashy and different. Even though they don't want to buy it themselves. But a sixth, seventh or eight fucking sidescroller is probably not going to shift a single console.

This is utterly broken logic. Nintendo will sell more consoles by focusing on releasing their less popular franchises on their console?

I don't believe the Order 1886 sold anyone on the PS4.

I believe that the PS4 sold itself due to being $100 cheaper, better marketed and more powerful to boot. The PS4 hasn't won the console war because of exclusive software, it won in the same way the PS1 won, $100 cheaper, better tech and a much better marketing campaign.

The Wii U flopped not because of a lack of F-Zero, but because the console was comparatively too expensive and the marketing was a shambles in every sense to the point where barely anyone knew it existed and half of those that did failed to understand what it was.

If you, or anyone else, believes that F-Zero is the reason the Wii U failed, then you are deluded!

Amongst these you have a plethora of other genres though and many games within each of those genres Whereas with Nintendo, you may have different genres, by not much choice within each genre. So it's not quite the same.

You clearly didn't read my post.

There has been a huge convergence of genres over the last generation. This has lead to many genres being either wiped out completely or simple made to be more like 'COD' or contain more action and 'shooty bits' because they need to attract larger audiences to justify their huge costs.

A small example of this is the survival horror genre. Resident Evil slowly became an action based game and got rid of atmosphere and horror for guns and body counts. Dead Space did the same, by the time we reached Dead Space 3 the game was a third person shooter with online modes and micro-transactions!

The industry is converging more and more around blockbuster games that share more and more similar characteristics.

Edited by Zechs Merquise

Wait, does this mean there is no Digital Event/Nintendo Direct for E3? I assumed we would at least still get one showing various 3DS and Wii U games?

I'm pretty sure that's not everything they have planned. Not only do we know that they have Wii U and 3DS games to show other than Zelda, but they also said that they were planning on doing another Nintendo World Championships event this year, so I'd expect some other announcements regarding E3 plans coming shortly...

Edit: Never mind... Turns out that NWC 2016 wasn't actually officially announced...

I really can't believe that they'd actually go ahead and show nothing but Zelda. It's not like they actually have nothing to show... Even just amongst known games, what about Paper Mario Colour Splash and Pokemon Sun & Moon? They're not small games!

Edited by Dcubed

I can't say I'm too surprised really, even if they'd devoted 20mins of the direct to Pokemon it would have come out feeling too short. I don't think it was their original plan, but I also can't see why they would have had an NX blowout, considering what we've heard over the last week they didn't want it to get lost in the sea of news stories, so if it's not a case of the NX not being ready to show changing their plans then it's even weirder.

I wonder how much of Zelda they'll show. To be so far out from release and do a full hands on seems impossible, but the standard E3 demo with 2 or 3 playable areas wouldn't be enough for something like the Treehouse to cover in its typical form, they'd just be repeating themselves after an hour or so.

I hope the NX reveal isn't too far in the future, hopefully a September pre-TGS announcement at the latest.

no E3 direct, no 3DS at E3 either. man nintendo really is a joke company sometimes with some absolute crazy decisions.

n-europe's nintendo E3 thread is gonna be laughable.

might as well not create one and just have people use the current zelda thread. seriously embarrassing!

Will they demo Zelda on a Wii U? Seems kinda pointless to me...

they wont show of NX version. not a chance!