Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 4 Console Discussion

Retro_Link

Put it this way...

If the price difference between a 500gb PS4 and a 1TB PS4 is something like £20 or if it's non-existent price difference due to getting a good bundle deal then I would go with that as it gives you more to play with.

XBO: Sunset Overdrive, Ori, Below, Cuphead and ReCore (?)

Oh... and Rare Replay! how could I forget?

;)

You only have access to the games that you download during the month that you are a PS+ member. You can even download games on consoles that you don't even own yet. I know a few people on here who have a PS4 but don't have a Vita that will have a shed load of games awaiting them if they do decide to pick one up.

I think you would get a lot out of PS+ due to your interest in the indies market. There's always a couple of cheeky titles worth playing each month on PS+.

I'm one of the ones that Hero is talking about here. :D

Basically, you get about 5/6 games that get added to PS+ each month. Usually, it's 2 each for PS4, PS3, Vita, however there are quite a few cross-platform titles. So, you may end up with, say, 3 PS4 games one month or even 4.

I've got a decent collection of Vita and PS3 games without owning these systems. Think you said before that you had a Vita, @Ronnie?

Oh right I assumed 500GB was more than enough! Bear in mind I'm not exactly a heavy gamer who'll end up with dozens of titles in no time.

Just doing some research, is that right that install size from physical copies takes up the same space on the hard drive as the whole game downloaded off PSN would? So the install basically copies the entire disk? I figured retail would save on HDD space but seems not, maybe 1TB is the way to go!

Personally, I found the 500GB too small and outgrew it quickly. I bought my own HDD and installed that, taking me up to 2TB and found that it has kept me happy thus far. Think the 1TB model may even be worth considering, but that still wouldn't be enough for me.

I believe that the entire game disc gets installed to the HDD. So, if you were to buy the disc or download it, it would take up the same amount of space on your HDD. Personally, I'm a big fan of digital games. I'm not into the habit of selling games, they take up far less physical storage space (in cupboards, etc) and you can quickly jump between games without having to go near the console. It's all down to preference, though. If I were you, I'd just keep an eye and ear open for certain deals that will crop up. Keep an eye on the store once the PS+ games go up and you'll see certain discounts for other games, too.

I've got a decent collection of Vita and PS3 games without owning these systems. Think you said before that you had a Vita, @Ronnie?

Yeah I feel a little silly for getting it though. Only played Tearaway, Wipeout and LBP and as great as those games are, it was a waste of money. PS+ sounds like it might make up for it though...

I believe that the entire game disc gets installed to the HDD. So, if you were to buy the disc or download it, it would take up the same amount of space on your HDD. Personally, I'm a big fan of digital games. I'm not into the habit of selling games, they take up far less physical storage space (in cupboards, etc) and you can quickly jump between games without having to go near the console. It's all down to preference, though. If I were you, I'd just keep an eye and ear open for certain deals that will crop up. Keep an eye on the store once the PS+ games go up and you'll see certain discounts for other games, too.

Thanks again for all the tips, if the whole disk gets copied over that's pushing me towards digital. Will keep an eye on the store for any discounts or if the price isn't much more than retail.

I suppose if I can upgrade the HDD and transfer everything across to the new one, maybe 500GB will be fine to start with.

Yeah I feel a little silly for getting it though. Only played Tearaway, Wipeout and LBP and as great as those games are, it was a waste of money. PS+ sounds like it might make up for it though...

Thanks again for all the tips, if the whole disk gets copied over that's pushing me towards digital. Will keep an eye on the store for any discounts or if the price isn't much more than retail.

I suppose if I can upgrade the HDD and transfer everything across to the new one, maybe 500GB will be fine to start with.

PS+ will guarantee that you've got stuff to play on it. There's also the possibility of being able to use the Vita for remote play, so off-tv play, although I've never done that. I'm tempted to get a Vita as I've got a decent backlog of games now and I'm interested in how some of the cross-platform games work.

You can just get a 500GB model now and upgrade in the future if you think you need to. It's a relatively simple process, but it can be quite time consuming redownloading everything. It's what I did and whilst I do semi-regret not getting a bigger HDD straight away, it wasn't too big a deal and not really one that I'm kicking myself over.

I delete and re-download stuff whenever I need. It's easy. If you have fast internet with no download cap, that's a pretty viable option.

Same here. Even though i upgraded my PS4 HDD to 1tb, i still go about my old ways of deleting and re-installing games as and when required. Space will not be an issue for me.

So...Sony will increase PS+ prices for the one and three month subscriptions.

Won't affect me personally as I only do 12 month subscriptions. It still sucks, because I think this means that the 12 month deal will become more expensive eventually.

Also: Does Sony do anything with the money to improve PSN stability? Lots of outages and issues in the past few months which were incredibly annoying.

For all the things Sony has done right, this (PSN stability) is the one thing they need to improve a lot.

So...Sony will increase PS+ prices for the one and three month subscriptions.

Won't affect me personally as I only do 12 month subscriptions. It still sucks, because I think this means that the 12 month deal will become more expensive eventually.

Also: Does Sony do anything with the money to improve PSN stability? Lots of outages and issues in the past few months which were incredibly annoying.

For all the things Sony has done right, this (PSN stability) is the one thing they need to improve a lot.

Well there was a problem a while ago where messages would take ages to send, receive or view. I've not seen the problem for a long time, so they might have stealth fixed some things.

Overall it works pretty well now, nothing that affects me anyway.

I was talking about this on another forum and while I do think Sony need to sort out download speeds on their service, I do think you can see the difference when actually playing games online from last gen to this gen.

That's weird because for me, I get max speeds. I'm on 40 Mb or something too.

Edited by Sheikah

It takes a game/update about as long to install as it does to download for me. I'm right by the exchange, though. And I live in London, which can't hurt.

Occasionally I'll get a slow download but it's usually the exception instead of the rule.

Playstation Now also worked flawlessly for me, so I'm obviously in a good area.

But it's obviously an issue for a fair amount of people. I can't imagine how frustrating it is. I totally agree stability needs to be sorted the fuck out. But then I also think PSN is less of a problem than individual game's online stability – I'm looking at you Destiny, you often laggy piece of crap.

@Ronnie, there's a summer sale taking place on the PSN store.

Here's a few things that you might be interested in:

The Order - £22.49

Tomb Raider - £10.79

Assassin's Creed Black Flag - £12.39 (do eet)

Shadow of Mordor Legion Edition (not sure what edition that is) - £22.49

Dragon Age: Inquisition - £22.49

Alien Isolation - £14.39 (hnnnggggggg)

Go here and click on Deals and Offers. I've not checked out Vita stuff, but there may be one or two things there.

There's also some great deals for FIFA and PES, but I don't think you'd be interested in either.

Bloodborne is also totally legit.

One of the greatest games I've ever played.

With no offence intended to @Ronnie, I'm 99.9% sure that Bloodborne would destroy him.

I was almost not ready for it. However, I've come to love it and agree that it is one of the best games I've ever played. That was after about a 10-hour period where it was the worst game I ever played.

The gaming equivalent of puberty.

@Ronnie, there's a summer sale taking place on the PSN store.

Here's a few things that you might be interested in:

The Order - £22.49

Tomb Raider - £10.79

Assassin's Creed Black Flag - £12.39 (do eet)

Shadow of Mordor Legion Edition (not sure what edition that is) - £22.49

Dragon Age: Inquisition - £22.49

Alien Isolation - £14.39 (hnnnggggggg)

Go here and click on Deals and Offers. I've not checked out Vita stuff, but there may be one or two things there.

There's also some great deals for FIFA and PES, but I don't think you'd be interested in either.

Thanks for the heads up, hoping to pick up my PS4 next week so hopefully these will still be around then.

edit: Bloodborne doesn't really seem my kind of game tbh, sure it's great though

Will pick up Tomb Raider, The Order and Black Flag at that price, I'd like to get into Dragon Age but it seems a bit too RPG heavy which isn't really my kind of thing.

Edited by Ronnie

edit: Bloodborne doesn't really seem my kind of game tbh, sure it's great though

Even if it doesn't seem like your kind of game you should give it a try sometime if you can (at a mate's or wherever). Maybe you'll be pleasantly surprised.

With no offence intended to @Ronnie, I'm 99.9% sure that Bloodborne would destroy him.

I was almost not ready for it. However, I've come to love it and agree that it is one of the best games I've ever played. That was after about a 10-hour period where it was the worst game I ever played.

The gaming equivalent of puberty.

I thought it was a pile of crap until I beat Cleric Beast (literally about 8 hours in after about 20 attempts). That adrenaline rush..I also missed out the first short cut (by the house full of laughing women) which didn't help.

Thanks for the heads up, hoping to pick up my PS4 next week so hopefully these will still be around then.

Will pick up Tomb Raider, The Order and Black Flag at that price, I'd like to get into Dragon Age but it seems a bit too RPG heavy which isn't really my kind of thing.

If you were going to pick up any RPG, get The Witcher. I'm not sure I'll bother getting Dragon Age now after that.

Good choice on those games. If there's any advice I'm going to give you, it's to approach everything with an open mind on this system. I don't really consider any game off-limits any more and I'm loving it, tbh.

There's also a deal for The Unfinished Swan, but I can't see the price because it shows that I have already purchased it. Go for that, too.

ALL OF THE GAMES.

I thought it was a pile of crap until I beat Cleric Beast (literally about 8 hours in after about 20 attempts). That adrenaline rush..I also missed out the first short cut (by the house full of laughing women) which didn't help.

I didn't love it until...Blood Starved Beast, I think. Definitely didn't enjoy it up until Cleric Beast, started to warm to it when going up against Father Gascoigne. But, I felt like a fucking hero taking down Blood Starved Beast. Did a proper fist-pump, jumped off the sofa and did some sort of victory war cry. Srs.

Loved it from that moment onwards.

I'm not one for boss fights, but Bloodborne did them superbly. Never felt so much satisfaction taking them down.

Fair enough will keep an open mind but atm a lot of first person games freak me out, ditto horror ones and I find RPGs way too intricate and intimidating. Action/Adventure, puzzles and platformers or mild third person shooter/RPG like Mass Effect works for me.

Ok so I've narrowed down my first game into my PS eduction to four games: the Order, Watch Dogs, Batman or Infamous SS. Leaning towards the Order for the presentation and more sinplistic game play to get me started. Infamous is also tempting though and Batman third in line in my head atm. Any suggestions would be appreciated ! Not so much quality wise, but what would make a good first start.