N-Europe

Practicality vs Fun

Goafer

Not the band Ashley, calm down.

So I've decided to sell Jidderbug as I can't be arsed with it. It needs a bit of work and since it's a custom car, it needs custom parts making. The original plan was to sell Jidder and my current daily car (Polo) to buy a nicer daily car since the Polo is a bit embarrassing. That would free up more time/funds for my Scirocco and ensure I look suave at all times with the new daily car. Also, the new daily car would in theory be up for a trip to the Nurburgring as I've always wanted to go back.

But...

A decent priced Beach Buggy has come up, causing me to totally go off on a tangent and imagine the fun I could have in it. I had a Buggy a while back and it was great fun, although for 9 months of the year it sat in a garage waiting for good weather.

DSC00496.jpg

I'm fairly certain this is a non existant dilemma, as the Buggy will certainly sell before I can sell Jidder. Plus the embarrassment of driving the Polo outweighs the desire to own another Buggy.

So what would you do? Do you always choose practicality or fun?

I don't know what a Jidderbug is, I'm afraid, but I am extremely intrigued. Do you have a photo of it?

I love the idea of having a buggy, but how often would you use it, do you reckon?

225038_10150580345960341_6745813_n.jpg

I don't think I'd use a buggy very often. I had one a while back and it didn't really get used. It was great fun when I did use it though. I just found myself worrying about the weather a lot since they don't tend to have roofs.

The thing is, I have my Scirocco for fun so I don't really need another fun car. My current practical car is shit and embarrassing, so it really makes sense to replace that one.

Is it going to be your only car? As boring as it may be, you'd have to go for practicality really.

No, I'll be downsizing the fleet to 2 cars. A sensible daily and my Scirocco as the project/fun car (which could also be used daily if need be).

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

Well, seeing as you're going for a dual setup, it does by far make the most sense to replace the practical car with another practical car. I recall you complaining about not driving the fun cars enough as it is. You're like a geek who keeps his toy in the box for fear of ruining it. :heh:

If the Scirocco originally came in packaging, rest assured it would still be in it if I had my way.

You can't possibly want to sell Jidderbug.

I don't really want to, but it needs quite a bit of work to make it safe/road legal. If it were just replacing parts I could do it, but it needs a few things fabricating and I don't have the skill/space/time/equipment to do it.

Whilst it's an awesome car, it's a lot of hassle and not really something I can be bothered with. My Scirocco has always been my favourite car, so I think it's time I stopped playing silly buggers with Jidder and concentrated on that instead. It's not like the Scirocco needs anything doing, but there are always little jobs to be done. With Jidder gone, I can get the Scirocco exactly as I want it.

Fun. Always fun.

I think I'd agree. The example I gave probably wasn't the best, as the practical car would actually be more fun in the long run as it would mean my daily journey would be more enjoyable and it would lead to an epic road trip. The buggy would just be fun in short bursts, whilst leaving me miserable in my daily journey in the Polo.

I think I still believe in doing things fun while I'm still young and reckless, but I think my idea of what is fun is changing/I'm getting wiser. In my youth, things like Beach Buggies seemed like fun, but now due to my experiences I'm realizing that they actually sit in garages most of the year, only to surface on the rare sunny days.

I would go for fun every time, while possible of course. I miss the Lotus so much, it was an unbelievably fun car and really not practical at all. If I move back to the UK one of the first things I'll do is start looking in to buying a fun car again.

Dat Buggy

dat-ass-meme.jpg

Yeah it's all about fun, if you can afford the buggy, Sirocco and a daily car... then do it. You'll only have the buggy taxed and insured for what... 1/2 of the year? At that? So shouldn't hurt the wallet too much.

@Goafer

Sorry I don't have time to read the rest of the thread...

Think about your professional career as a photographer too... You want to roll up to meetings looking professional. This is the reason salesman always drive nice, clean cars. First impressions count. If you are seen driving up in an old banger of a car a potential client will think you are cheap and can't afford a good car. Why can't you afford a good car? You don't get enough jobs. Why don't you get the jobs? You aren't good enough.

People don't consciously think that way but that is the way the mind works and they will jump to the end part without even thinking about it. I know a lot of you guys knock my thought process in stuff like this but this is the way the mind works - it's basic marketing. If someone hands you a paper-thin business card and someone hands you a sturdy one, both same industry. Which one are you going to phone first when you come back to them a few weeks later and can't remember the people? Again, people don't consciously think that a good business card means they will do a better job than a poor business card. It just happens when they can't remember the people involved.

It's all about perception. What do people perceive you to be? What will they remember about you?

Can't you get something both practical and fun? Hot hatches are great for this. Something like a Saxo VTS/106 GTI maybe, or a Clio sport. Or if you're looking to spend a bit more money and aren't as bothered about insurance/petrol costs then something like an Impreza.

I'm already looking at them. I've currently got my eye on a new shape A3 (the "executive choice") or an old shape S3 (the "mental fast choice").

@GoaferThink about your professional career as a photographer too... You want to roll up to meetings looking professional. This is the reason salesman always drive nice, clean cars. First impressions count. If you are seen driving up in an old banger of a car a potential client will think you are cheap and can't afford a good car. Why can't you afford a good car? You don't get enough jobs. Why don't you get the jobs? You aren't good enough.

It's not really a problem at the moment, since I usually use the Scirocco to meet people. It's not exactly an executive saloon, but it is in great condition. You'd be surprised how many people I get saying they used to own one or always wanted one. It's quite a good conversation piece.

For the record, I do agree with you though. Cars can be just as important as clothes in setting up an image.

Edited by Goafer

I'm already looking at them. I've currently got my eye on a new shape A3 (the "executive choice") or an old shape S3 (the "mental fast choice").

Just in case you didn't know, the VW Golf is the same car as the Audi A3 (and the Seat Leon as well). In fact the Audi TDi engine is the Golf GTD engine. So unless you specifically prefer the looks or interior of the A3 then you might want to look at a Golf as they can sometimes be bought for a bit less.

Edited by MoogleViper

Just in case you didn't know, the VW Golf is the same car as the Audi A3. In fact the Audi TDi engine is the Golf GTD engine. So unless you specifically prefer the looks or interior of the A3 then you might want to look at a Golf as they can sometimes be bought for a bit less.

Yeah I know they're pretty much the same car. I'm not a huge fan of modern Golfs though to be honest. I'd love a MK1 or MK2 (again), but they're very similar to my Scirocco (same chassis, engine and interior).

Plus Golfs tend to have higher insurance costs due to their image as the original hot hatch. Or at least the old GTIs do. Couldn't comment on the new ones.

Currently the S3 is winning due to the fact that it looks more fun than the A3.