N-Europe

Pikmin 3

Retro_Link

• Replies 797
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So to play this, do I need 3 hands? One for the Wii Remote, one for the Nunchuk and one for the GamePad?

The showing confused me a little - it mentioned using MotionPlus control, and then using the second screen to check the map etc. I take it you have a choice of which one to use, but surely, you'll have to sacrifice better control for more game data, and vice versa.

The showing confused me a little - it mentioned using MotionPlus control, and then using the second screen to check the map etc. I take it you have a choice of which one to use, but surely, you'll have to sacrifice better control for more game data, and vice versa.

Didn't you get the memo? Nintendo is going to sell you a third arm attachment. It's called the Gamer Arm Pro.

Seems like you have choice. Oh, and a hell yeah for pointer controls of course. :)

0.jpg?cache=16.400848721115135

4.jpg?cache=20.2091967373123

5.jpg?cache=15.90789411791999

7.jpg?cache=98.08575418323956

10.jpg?cache=62.64955809754616

8.jpg?cache=22.496083330041077

13.jpg?cache=17.348554289724845

Players can play using Wii Remote Plus and Nunchuk-based controls or the Wii U GamePad controller. With new intuitive controls that make it possible to aim at objects directly, players can command their tiny, yet powerful, squads in different ways.

The GamePad acts as an overhead map and radar to track Pikmin movements in real time. Players can slide a finger across the touch screen to quickly switch between areas, giving greater flexibility in commanding multiple groups of Pikmin.

The greater processing and HD capabilities of the Wii U console are put to extensive use, resulting in a more intricately designed world, enhanced ant-like movement of the Pikmin and precisely detailed overhead views for enabling easier strategic use of the Pikmin.

After completing a stage, the replay feature allows players the option to review their results using the GamePad and TV. Fast-forward, rewind or pause while assessing the previous mission to decide on other paths.

In addition to the five original types of Pikmin encountered in previous games, the new Rock Pikmin bring powerful new abilities and are able to crack hard outer shells of enemies and break through solid barriers.

Mission Mode challenges players to earn the most treasure in a given time.

I think the game is looking very pretty, and I am very much looking forward to trying it out when it is released. I don't think there's much else for me to say, other than I look forward to seeing more and that I'm interested in where Olimar is.

Since I don't have much to say about the game itself, I guess I'll go what could arguably be a little off-topic and mention that I highly enjoyed the opening segment it had for Nintendo's presentation. It always brings a smile to my face seeing that Nintendo charm both inside and outside of their games, and you can just tell that Miyamoto was genuinely having fun on that stage introducing this game to everybody. It's seeing and experiencing these moments that make me really appreciate this company and what they do.

Yeah, I realise I sound rather sentimental. =P

Edited by Sprout

I love the Rock Pikmin. So lovably derpish :D

The visuals are beautiful, but very underwhelming from a technical perspective (its Wii roots are obvious)

I'm so glad to see that they're sticking with the original Pikmin 3 control concept (motionplus) and that the Wii U tablet is used in an additive manner (and a very creative one at that! I never would've expected it to be used as a second TV with a stand, while the Wiimote/Nunchuck is the primary controller! :D )

The demo was far too brief though and gives little information on the wider game structure (wherein lied the biggest innovation with Pikmin 2)

Looks great, but they didn't show enough. As it stands, I'd still say that NSMBU was the Wii U game of the show for that very reason.

This game looks great. But how long has it been in development?! Fuck me. It looks pretty identical to the old pikmin, doesn't seem tone much innovation in the game. And it's not using the gamepad at all, very very disappointing really. Also, with 4 leaders, this is a perfect 4 player co op game... And if you can't send those replays to friends online then what's the point?! A lovely intimate way to show friends how to do something or complete a level.

I'm sure it'll be great, but it'll feel like a wii game, have wasted multiplayer potential and a pointless video saving feature (like Starfox 3DS' face feature/online in general). Nothing more annoying the wasted potential!

The visuals are beautiful, but very underwhelming from a technical perspective (its Wii roots are obvious)
Really?

It already looks way better than the Wii's best offering, Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, which also probably have the most visual similarity to this game out of the Wii library.

I was hugely impressed by the visuals, love the depth of field and the vegetation to make it almost an almost Macro experience.

I couldn't see the Wii pulling them off and it's a nice indicator of what the Wii U can go on to do with future Nintendo games and Retro Studios.

This game looks great. But how long has it been in development?! Fuck me. It looks pretty identical to the old pikmin, doesn't seem tone much innovation in the game. And it's not using the gamepad at all, very very disappointing really. Also, with 4 leaders, this is a perfect 4 player co op game... And if you can't send those replays to friends online then what's the point?! A lovely intimate way to show friends how to do something or complete a level.

I'm sure it'll be great, but it'll feel like a wii game, have wasted multiplayer potential and a pointless video saving feature (like Starfox 3DS' face feature/online in general). Nothing more annoying the wasted potential!

It does use the game pad. In fact, I'd argue that the two different control schemes offer two completely different experiences.

I liked what I saw of this and can't wait to see more. No doubt will pick this up when its out.

It does use the game pad. In fact, I'd argue that the two different control schemes offer two completely different experiences.

I liked what I saw of this and can't wait to see more. No doubt will pick this up when its out.

Really? It seems the Wii U pad will control like the gamecube and the motion plus like the new play control versions. The screen is a map.

Unless I'm missing something.

The visuals are almost photorealistic...how can you be disappointed?

The visuals are actually a lot more stylised than Pikmin 1 & 2, which was the complete opposite of what I was expecting!

It makes me think of Skyward Sword, but it still rooted in realism. Sort of a plastic/rubbery look to everything and that can also be seen in the artwork too (look closely at the Pikmin themselves. They're not clay or CG, they're made of rubber!)

I really like it myself. The art is what really carries the look of this game (because the environment models look like they were reused straight from the Wii - albeit using higher resolution versions of the source textures)

Had a good play on this today, the graphics are awesome, sometimes when the camera pans around to give you new views it really does look stunning. The gameplay controls were a little fiddly though, I found it quite awkward at times. I enjoyed it though, it's a definite purchase for me.

Interesting. Seems that the Wii U Pad controls actually use the Wii U Pad's IR pointer!

http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/impressions/30530

The game is playable with either the Wii remote and Nunchuk or the Wii U GamePad; for my playtime, I chose the GamePad. Interestingly, in either control scheme the on-screen cursor used for selecting and throwing Pikmin is controlled with the IR pointer. Trying to point with a two-handed controller was cumbersome at first, but over the course of the demo it became a lot more manageable. Assuming the Wii Remote and Nunchuk scheme is the same as it was in the New Play Control Pikmin games, I think that will probably be the better way to play, with the GamePad close by for use as a map.

Good to see that they're not betraying the original design of the game by changing it to accommodate the Wii U Pad, but isn't it using the Wiimote motionplus for the cursor (ALA Skyward Sword) rather than the IR pointer?