N-Europe

Your 2011 media highlights

spirited away

Bit of an obvious idea for a thread I know, but I thought it'd be interesting nonetheless.

By saying 'highlights of the year', I'm more interested in the experiences that have defined your year the most, not their year of origin (your picks could be classics).

I'll get the ball rolling (feel free to add your genres - comics, plays or whatever).

Album of the Year: The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds

I've just recently finished reading Brian Wilson's "searingly candid" autobiography, which is what makes this album all the more astounding and affecting for me. The fact that the trademark Beach Boys sound is so hauntingly incongruous to Brian's truly horrific childhood is truly testament to the character of the man. It's a sublime album; this is songwriting at its best.

Single of the Year: Howlin Wolf - Smokestack Lightnin'

Still one of my favourite Blues songs. Such raw power in the vocal. It brought a massive smile to my face when they opened Misfits season 2 episode 2 with the song. :)

Film of the Year: Pulp Fiction

Ridiculously, I hadn't seen the film until earlier this year at university. Instantly fell in love with it. Travolta has surely never been better.

Game of the Year: The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim

Honestly one of the best games I've ever played. Never have I played in a game world as well-realised, believable and rich with adventure than that of Skyrim. It's one of those games where you set out to achieve something and instantly forget what that was, as you get side-tracked again and again, pulled by the allure of the unknown. So much of my time spent playing Skyrim is spent 'in that moment', where you lose all track of time and just become immersed in the fantasy of it all.

Book of the Year: Stephen King - The Long Walk

A brilliantly harrowing tale of the inexorable trudge of 100 boys through adolescence and ultimately, to to their death. This book introduced me to Stephen King, which I'm extremely grateful for.

Film of the Year: Pulp Fiction

Ridiculously, I hadn't seen the film until earlier this year at university. Instantly fell in love with it. Travolta has surely never been better.

I still haven't seen it - but I now have the Blu-Ray from Lovefilm so I'll be changing that soon.

Album of the Year: SOCOM 4 (Original Soundtrack) - Bear McCreary

Oddly, I haven't bothered playing the game past the fourth (or fifth) level because it's very poor. The soundtrack, however, is glorious.

Single of the Year: Florence and the Machine - What The Water Gave Me

I just love this film.

Film of the Year: Green Lantern

Looking back, I haven't seen that many films this year. This one stands out as it was amazing (it was the Blu-Ray version).

Game of the Year: The Legend of Elder Scrolls: Drake's Deception

I honestly can't choose between Skyward Sword, Uncharted 3 and Skyrim. All are outstandingly brilliant games. The freedom in Skyrim is mind-blowing, the campaign in Uncharted is jaw-dropping (great multiplayer, too) and Skyward Sword is a fantastic Zelda game.

Book of the Year: ???

I haven't read a new book this year. Which is quite shocking. I do have the kindle version of Michael Crichton - Micro ready for over the Christmas period.

TV of the Year: Chuck Season 4

Chuck is pretty much TV perfection, and season 4 is the best series so far. So many great plot elements, loads of hilarious moments and a ton of drama. Chuck seems to manage to get the perfect mix of everything an amazing TV show needs.

Website of the year: reddit.com

It was much earlier this year, perhaps last, that Shorty told me about reddit - I had a look but was very confused as to what was going on. A few months ago I went back on, got a couple of firefox add-ons that shorty recommended and now it's integrated into my daily routine rather nicely. /b/ got too monotonous/nsfl and generally I felt like I was sifting through shit to get to the odd diamond post, while reddit provides me with instant humour or interest if I want it. I know some btards who are fuming at the whole thing, but hey!

Game of the year...

A tricky one indeed. Bastion was hugely mesmerising, but I think Deadly Premonition will hold the key to my heart because it was such a quirky little experience - plus not enough other people have played it, and because it's a bit niche in terms of appeal it means I can be all hipster about it. Also, I've not got Skyrim yet...

Book series of the year: the Culture novels, by Iain M. Banks

Read all of 'em, and books 2-5 just got better and better, then the constant level of quality was always extremely high.

TV Series of the year: Game of Thrones

While Breaking Bad was utterly fantastic, again maintaining a high level of excellence throughout, Game of Thrones was something I skipped for ages thinking "blah blah fantasy blah." I felt very foolish after i watched the first episode! Mate's lent me the first two books, but I'm hesitant to read them before I watch them, now. Another friend has read all of the books (to date?) and basically threatens to ruin the whole thing every now and then.

Album of the year: None...

iPod's headphone input socket doesn't work anymore so I've not listened to much music at all. Mostly whatever I listen to in my girlfriend's car -- she likes country and western, so that's a lot of Sugarland and Dixie Chicks (Kings of Leon is an agreeable middle-ground).

Website of the year: reddit.com

It was much earlier this year, perhaps last, that Shorty told me about reddit - I had a look but was very confused as to what was going on. A few months ago I went back on, got a couple of firefox add-ons that shorty recommended and now it's integrated into my daily routine rather nicely. /b/ got too monotonous/nsfl and generally I felt like I was sifting through shit to get to the odd diamond post, while reddit provides me with instant humour or interest if I want it. I know some btards who are fuming at the whole thing, but hey!

Reddit videos is part of my daily website routine. Such an easy way to find the best of the web.

Game of the year

Probably Skyrim for me, it's the only game I've waited for and bothered to actually play, I did find Terraria and Team Fortress 2 to be good games, as I quite like that TF" had the Halloween and now Christmas parts.

Film of the year

Difficult, I think Harry Potter Part 2, I've read the books since I was 9, so to see it all end in the cinema was quite heart-breaking, beautifully done too, which was nice. (Except the ending.)

Book of the year

Game of thrones, by far, I love them, very well written.

Album/track of the year

Bastion soundtrack, which is odd, as I've not actually played Bastion, but it's wonderful music. It also ties in with HP part 2 music, which is also very very pretty. Definitely a game/film music type of year, seems to be all I listen to these days.

Website of the year

Tumblr. I love blogging images/quotes etc, I wish it was a little easier to get at older posts, but I love it, very good community on there for the most part and it's good to communicate.

TV series of the year

For me it's Supernatural, I didn't actually like it when I watched season 1 way back when, but it's now one of my favourites, I prefer pretty much all the more side characters (Bobby, Crowley, Ellen, Jo etc.) it's just a damn good show, especially since the last couple of seasons.

There's some really good favourites you've guys have, Pulp Fiction, Skyrim, Stephen King, Bastion..

Thinking about it, really it's been quite a good year, but honestly..@Cube ..I thought Green Lantern was awful..

This is only tangentially related, but still neat:

The 45 Most Powerful Images Of 2011

I thought "media" was referring to news media :blush:

These are unbelieveable. Thanks for posting.

Been looking for an excuse to do my years highlights. Lovely stuff.

Album of the Year

bon-iver-3.jpg

Bon Iver - Bon Iver Such a step forward from Emma, which was great anyway. So much of it sounds completely fresh, drenched in synth and falsetto, yet weirdly forceful. I get something new from each listen. It's ending, Beth / Rest is the most ridiclous, risky way to end the album, but it sounds incredible, saxophones 80s synth et all. Totally brilliant.

Notable: Drake - Take Care, James Blake, St Vincent - Strange Mercy

Game of the Year

Pokemon Black and White Partly due not not actually playing that many new games... whey videogames forum. But yeah, alot of fun, even if the formula remains the same. Played it for hours.

Notable: Red Dead Redemption

Book of the Year

jennifer_egan_goon_squad_sq.jpg?1304355718

A Visit From the Goon Squad - Jennifer Egan - Really close between this and Sense of An Ending, both have similar central themes of passing of time, getting old and all that depressing jazz. Really lively, readable, touching, great. Also gets bonus points for including a 70 page powerpoint slide and it not being just a shit gimmick. Hear it's now being made into a HBO series. Int-er-est-ing.

Noteable: Julian Barnes - The Sense of an Ending

Film of the Year

Submarine Probably the hardest thing to choose, since loads stunned me. But for outright enjoyment this is getting it. Everything about it, cinematography of rainy wales, the weird deadpan of the lead actor, Alex Turner's soundtrack. Smiled, laughed and loved throughout.

submarine-movie-poster-slice-01.jpg

Noteable: We Need to Talk About Kevin, Animal Kingdom, Never Let Me Go, Attack the Block, others I forget.

Song of the Year

Bon Iver - Holocene - Predictable artist for both music picks, but y'know. The buildup of instruments is immense, but it's the line and at once I knew, I was not magnificent... and I can see for miles, miles, miles that sticks out, really really beautiful.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio
Edited by dan-likes-trees

Album of the year - Talking Heads: Remain In Light

I had liked Talking Heads before I heard this record, but I genuinely think they might be in my top five bands ever now. It's just such a well crafted, ingenious and emotional album, not to mention seriously addictive. A very honourable mention goes to Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth.

Song of the year - Panda Bear, Bro's

One of my most played songs of the year, something very significant for a piece that's 12 minutes long. The first few times I heard i thought it was a bit 'meh' but the layers of the song gradually begin to reveal themselves with each listen. The central emotions in the song - a sort of anxiety brought about by hardship, and unadulterated joy - are played off each other to an achingly beautiful effect.

TV show of the year - Arrested Development

I finally understand why this is brought up so much on the forums. It's just outrageously funny, clever and original. It's fingerprints are all over shows like 30 Rock. NO TOUCHING!

Book of the year - Brave New World

I'm not sure I want to even try and do this masterpiece justice. So there, a masterpiece.

Edited by ipaul

My Movie Pick

Toss-up between Melancholia and Drive. I thought both were sensational, in different ways.

Oh wait. Actually I think We Need To Talk About Kevin, actually. At the top of this little pyramid.

My album pick

So hard! I'm planning my 'year review' for after the new year so have been listening to all my albums the last week or so. Hmm.

I think in terms of...being a WHOLE thing that stands out in enjoyment factor *not to say it's the best of the year*, it'll have to be

lady-gaga-born-this-way-cover.jpg

Other VERY notables:

Lykke Li, Kate Bush, Laura Marling, Bon Iver, Kanye/Jay-Z...but I just love BTW. I ROFL inside when people crave Fame-era Gaga instead of her current sound.

My song pick

CLEAR WINNER

I LOVE this song. Best chartpop song of the year. I find Calvin Harris an insufferable *thing* and this song just proves that he shouldn't sing his own songs. He can't sing, so stop doing it. Let Rihanna/Kelis sing them.

Anyway. So euphoric. A brilliant pop song to close out the year with.

Best Book of the Year

I've read quite a few books this year. I very much enjoyed reading the Sookie Stackhouse novels but I think this one goes to 1st to Die by James Patterson, which is something I've very recently finished. I thought this was a great read and such a pageturner. Currently reading through 2nd Chance right now.

Best Album of the Year

Without a shadow of a doubt, this would probably go to Lady Gaga- Born This Way or Sucker Punch Soundtrack. Both albums are just amazing and totally addictive. Actually, I think it'll go to Sucker Punch Soundtrack just because of Emily Browning's angelic voice in Sweet Dreams.

Best Song of the Year

Bruno Mars- It Will Rain or Leona Lewis's I See You. I really enjoy this song so much. It's so relaxing driving home from work to this.

Best TV Show of the Year

There's just too many to choose from but I think Dexter or Sons of Anarchy gets it. As always, they're just fantastic shows.

Best Movie of the Year

Definitely, DEFINITELY Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2. The movie was just perfect to me. I've seen it more than five times in the past two weeks and I still love it.

Best Game of the Year

I think this goes to Modern Warfare 3 but I've recently played Rockstar Table Tennis and found myself rather addicted to that. However, I'm sure this will change on Christmas Day...for Skyrim! :D:D:D

I'd say Ghost Trick was the game of 2011, but considering any game I've played this year counts, then Little King's Story takes it, no doubt. I've also been playing Rise of Nations a lot, so that deserves a mention.

Long Story short: LKS > Ghost Trick > RoN

I'm pretty sure I read 1984 this year, so that easily takes it (not to take away from other fine books I've also read this year, like The Gambler or Terra Sonâmbula).

The only series I've been watching recently are House and How I Met Your Mother. No new Animes, no new series, no catching up on Dexter... I'm not nominating anything in this field, honestly.

Movies are almost the same thing. I've been going to the movies less and less, and each time I go, it's generally "meh", except with Deathly Hallows Part 2 (and then it was the general level of awesome I expected, so no surprises there). Also, an honorable mention to Horrible Bosses (which was the only one to be better than expected).

After writing this paragraph, I've decided to watch Scott Pilgrim until the end of the year, in hopes that 2011 won't be a waste in terms of films.

Ok then lets see:

Website of the Year:

GiantBomb.com. I love their gaming coverage and its become my most used site for gaming information.

Book of the Year:

Probably go with the DC relaunch of Batman, actually got me interested in that character again.

TV Show of the Year:

Tempted to go with Smallville's last season for this but as always im still enjoying Chuck and will be sad to see it finish next year so i'll go with that.

Movie of the Year:

Dont think ive actually watched too many movies this year, new or otherwise but I did really enjoy Thor out of all the comic ones so that'll do.

Worst Movie of the Year:

Easy choice, Transformers 3.

Game of the Year:

Really hard as this has been an amazing year for games this year with some of my favourites being Batman Arkham City, Skyrim and Portal 2 along with Minecraft as usual and im still playing through Persona 4 at the moment but I think for this catagory i'll have to go with Mass Effect 2. I recently played through it and just loved every minute of it.

Biggest Disappointment of the Year:

For me this would go to Uncharted 3. I loved the first 2 games but had real problems with the 3rd game. Didnt like the new aiming, dodgy camera in certain places, difficulty was all messed up and certain scenes/levels just felt like they were shoved in the game because they had the tech they wanted to show off and not because of the story.

Edited by Happenstance

It's too early to do my films list yet. :) Here is my 20 favourite albums from this year that I have listened to:

1. Murs – Love and Rockets Volume 1: The Transformation.

2. St. Vincent - Strange Mercy

3. Dum Dum Girls - Only In Dreams.

4. Cults - Cults

5. EMA - Past Life Martyred Saints

6. Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues

7. PJ Harvey – Let England Shake

8. Lone – Emerald Fantasy Tracks

9. The Black Keys - El Camino

10. Lykke Li – Wounded Rhymes

11. Zola Jesus – Conatus

12. Laura Marling – a creature I don’t know

13. Youth Lagoon - Year of Hibernation

14. Neon Indian - Era Extraña

15. Chelsea wolf - Apokalypsis

16. Kimbra - Vows

17. Mastodon – The Hunter

18. Tori Amos – Night Of Hunters

19. Katy B – On a Mission

20. Japanese Voyeurs - Yolk

:grin:

Album of the Year : Skrillex, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites - more my just introduction to Skrillex than a particular album, but this was just....kind of amazing. I don't listen to a lot of music and I don't even know if his music is (dubstep) but I THINK it is, but it makes other dubstep disgusting...not that I ever liked it, but it makes other attempts at it seem forced and unbelievably fucking bland and just cut and pastey. I <3.

T.V. Show of the Year : Breaking Bad Season 4. Incredible acting, incredible story, incredible style, dialogue, drama, humour. Amazing.

Book/Comic Book of the Year : The DC relaunch has more than succeeded. Batman is fucking amazing, only 3 issues in but three of the strongest and most enjoyable Batman issues I have ever read...the writers style is so smart but so easy to read and an absolute pleasure. The artwork is beautiful. And Invincible, amazing...end of the Viltrumite War and the fallout has been good, and just starting to get amazing again.

Film of the year : Thor. I wasn't really looking forward to it a huge amount as I was never too interested in Thor, but it blew me away. Was as good as Iron Man which I would have never considered a possibility. Special mentions to 127 Hours, Limitless and A Very Harold and Kumar 3D Christmas.

Game of the Year : Uncharted 3 : Drake's Deception. Beautiful, stunning, jaw dropping graphics and character realism. Epic set pieces, incredibly fun, incredibly concise and the multiplayer has been drastically improved upon and had so much content thrown at it that it makes it a joy to play and level up in, and I cannot wait to get stuck into the map packs and the eventual NEW maps!

Edited by ReZourceman

Game of the year

Batman: Arkham City

By far the best game of the year and generation, everything was improved upon. The combat, the characters, the story, the bosses and the voice acting all top of the notch stuff, 10/10.

Movie of the year

Warrior

10/10

TV show of the year

Castle Season 3/Transformers prime/Young Justice/Spartacus: Gods of the Arena/Game of Thrones

I cant decide.

Biggest videogame disapointment

Uncharted 3

Borked aiming, poor pacing and some shitty level design. You can tell the ND team was split into two

Biggest movie disapointment

Captain America

I enjoyed it but compared to other super hero movies this year it just didnt compare. The action and special effects are pretty subpar and its pretty corny in places.

Edited by bryanee

Album of the Year : Skrillex, Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites - more my just introduction to Skrillex than a particular album, but this was just....kind of amazing. I don't listen to a lot of music and I don't even know if his music is (dubstep) but I THINK it is, but it makes other dubstep disgusting...not that I ever liked it, but it makes other attempts at it seem forced and unbelievably fucking bland and just cut and pastey. I <3.

That's because he's really not a dubstep artist, more of a blend of electronic genres. His songs with dub beats are horrible though. It's funny how much the Dubstep/Drum and Bass community hate Skrillex.

Game of the Year

Infamous 2 - An underrated little piece of stunning.

Movie of the Year

Melancholia - Unnnfff. The first 12 minutes alone are just crotch grabbingly good.

TV show of the Year

Stargate Atlantis - Started watching it a few weeks ago. Half way through season 4. So fucking good.

Biggest Game Disappointment

Batman: Arkham City - Boring. Terrible pacing. Poor story. Prime example of why bigger is not better. The Catwoman bits were appalling, destroying what little pacing there was (Her first mission is such an affront to the opening, makes me wish I bought the game second hand). I traded it in as soon as I completed it. In fact the only reason I pushed through to completing it was to trade it in (OCD). And this is from someone who loves Batman more than is healthy.

Ultimately the brilliance that was Arkham Asylum is diluted to homeopathic levels. Terrible.

Biggest Movie Disappointment of the Year

Green Lantern - Was wonderfully rubbish. Mark Strong was excellent, though. And even though it was a massive disappointment there was enough enjoyable aspects to take away.

Song of the Year

Bar Rebecca Black's Friday, Iron by WOODKID

Album of the Year

Little Hell by City and Colour

Cc-littlehell.jpg

There's probably more.