N-Europe

Zechs's Top 25 Wii Games

Zechs Merquise

You think that's shocking... he didn't even like Monster Hunter either :hmm:

-1 hunter for the N-E Brotherhood :cry:

Whaaat?

Monster Hunter Tri.. Dead Space: Extraction.. Little King's Story..? Not for me, thanks :heh:

I'll deliver my 'Top 25' at some point to show that there's more than enough quality on Wii to not even have to look near any of those :indeed:

Are you...allergic to quality gaming, or something? :heh:

I can understand possibly not liking Tri, for the online aspect. Extraction, ok, its on rails. Maybe not for everyone. But, Little King, as well?!

This is fucking heresy!

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only game on there I was surprised about, especially it being so high, was ExciteTruck. That game looked so painfully average. I was also not bothered in the slightest for the sequel, which I thought looked appalling.

I think Mario Kart Wii is the greatest racing game of all time. Never have I had so much fun with a racer, and the online was amazing.

Also, I'd love to see more people add their top games, it doesn't have to be 25, it can just be ten or even five! If more people do it, we could even rename the thread!

Edited by Zechs Merquise

I don't have a problem with on rails :heh: I have House of the Dead 2&3 Return, House of the Dead: Overkill, Ghost Squad, Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles, Resident Evil: Darkside Chronicles and Link's Crossbow Training and have enjoyed them all, for the most part :heh:

I just didn't connect with Dead Space: Extraction and had no real desire to give it any more time :hmm: There is just something about the setting that does not appeal to me :sad:

As far as Little King's Story goes, it must be noted that I haven't played it.. but I don't really have any intention of trying it either! I've looked into it in the past and I don't particularly like how it looks. It probably isn't a game for me..

Having said that, I'm sure many of us have games that get plenty of praise that we just don't warm too. Advance Wars probably falls into that bracket for me, as does the "10/10 Football Perfection" of FIFA 11 which helped resurrect PES 6 on PS2 :heh:

I think Mario Kart Wii is the greatest racing game of all time.

Hopefully this comment will take some of the heat off me :laughing:

The only game on there I was surprised about, especially it being so high, was ExciteTruck. That game looked so painfully average. I was also not bothered in the slightest for the sequel, which I thought looked appalling.

I think Mario Kart Wii is the greatest racing game of all time. Never have I had so much fun with a racer, and the online was amazing.

Also, I'd love to see more people add their top games, it doesn't have to be 25, it can just be ten or even five! If more people do it, we could even rename the thread!

ExciteTruck is exhilarating. There's a real sense of speed and the Wii controls, for such an early game in its lifespan, were awesome. It was simple, but it also had a lot of depth to it. It wasn't just a simple case of getting from point A to B, but how you got there. You could smash into other trucks for points, drive close to the trees (I can't hear a siren anymore without thinking of this game) and the massive aiiiiiir. I spend more time driving through the air than on the ground. Its brilliant.

Mario Kart is overkill. It's far too random and unpredictable. You feel screwed out of victories and it quickly stops the game becoming fun. Also, some of the tracks are just not simply fun to drive through, because there's either too much going on, or simply the track design doesn't suit the game.

ExciteTruck absolutely destroys Mario Kart in terms of track design, handling and fun. If you win a race, it is because you are awesome. If you lose, it's because you sucked. In Mario Kart Wii, you cannot say that. If you win, you got lucky. If you lose, you were probably screwed by a blue shell, inches from the finish line.

The only thing that Mario Kart has over ExciteTruck is that it is far better in multiplayer. It has online. That's the only thing that stops the game from being absolutely perfect.

ExciteTruck is exhilarating. There's a real sense of speed and the Wii controls, for such an early game in its lifespan, were awesome. It was simple, but it also had a lot of depth to it. It wasn't just a simple case of getting from point A to B, but how you got there. You could smash into other trucks for points, drive close to the trees (I can't hear a siren anymore without thinking of this game) and the massive aiiiiiir. I spend more time driving through the air than on the ground. Its brilliant.

Mario Kart is overkill. It's far too random and unpredictable. You feel screwed out of victories and it quickly stops the game becoming fun. Also, some of the tracks are just not simply fun to drive through, because there's either too much going on, or simply the track design doesn't suit the game.

ExciteTruck absolutely destroys Mario Kart in terms of track design, handling and fun. If you win a race, it is because you are awesome. If you lose, it's because you sucked. In Mario Kart Wii, you cannot say that. If you win, you got lucky. If you lose, you were probably screwed by a blue shell, inches from the finish line.

The only thing that Mario Kart has over ExciteTruck is that it is far better in multiplayer. It has online. That's the only thing that stops the game from being absolutely perfect.

You're so wrong!

Mario Kart is a game that tries to balance itself so you don't have a system where people who aren't so good get demoralised and end up quitting. Yes, occassionally you'll end up losing a race because of a blue shell or a lightening bolt - that's happened to me many times and frustrated me.

But I also had two 9999 accounts, which goes to show that the best still rise to the top and the worst still sink to the bottom. Mario Kart had an amazing selection of tracks, all of which had stuff going on in them - that's Mario Kart. But never did I feel the stuff going on ruined the racing. In fact with multiple routs, shortcuts and environmental hazards - it made for a fun and compelling game.

I think Mario Kart Wii is an all time classic and really goes the extra mile with content, number of course and online. Also the single player appeal is massive. I never stopped until I had all the cars, bikes and characters and three stars on everything. What's more the Mii integration was great.

I'm not saying excittruck was bad, hell I only played it once! But I hate using the Wii Remote on its side for racing. Give me the option of using a pad! Mario Kart had the Wheel, it had the Classic Controller and it even had the GC pad. It gave something for everyone.

Mario Kart Wii is the best game in the series and defo the best racing game ever. I also think it's the best selling racing game ever too, with over 27 million units!

An official thread is in the works so we can get everyone lists/comments and then the staff will put the best bits and and final count on the main site.

You're so wrong!

Mario Kart is a game that tries to balance itself so you don't have a system where people who aren't so good get demoralised and end up quitting. Yes, occassionally you'll end up losing a race because of a blue shell or a lightening bolt - that's happened to me many times and frustrated me.

But I also had two 9999 accounts, which goes to show that the best still rise to the top and the worst still sink to the bottom. Mario Kart had an amazing selection of tracks, all of which had stuff going on in them - that's Mario Kart. But never did I feel the stuff going on ruined the racing. In fact with multiple routs, shortcuts and environmental hazards - it made for a fun and compelling game.

I think Mario Kart Wii is an all time classic and really goes the extra mile with content, number of course and online. Also the single player appeal is massive. I never stopped until I had all the cars, bikes and characters and three stars on everything. What's more the Mii integration was great.

I'm not saying excittruck was bad, hell I only played it once! But I hate using the Wii Remote on its side for racing. Give me the option of using a pad! Mario Kart had the Wheel, it had the Classic Controller and it even had the GC pad. It gave something for everyone.

Mario Kart Wii is the best game in the series and defo the best racing game ever. I also think it's the best selling racing game ever too, with over 27 million units!

Ok, I've been trolled. Is this comment a joke? I mean, you can argue Super Mario Kart is one the finest racers of all time by virtue of the fact that it's a great kart came and a great racing game, but the Wii version? Seriously?! When you've got games like Forza, GT and F-Zero GX out there, you're calling one of the worst MK games one of the best racers ever?

Unimaginative game design, poor graphics and as has been mentioned numerous times, it's not a great racer at all, with the barrage of items set to total overkill which takes away from the racing. SMK and MK:DS are out and out Karting games, with the latter slighty ruined by too much blue shell (at least 1 a race), but in terms of handling and speed sensation, they are years beyond MK:Wii.

Best racer ever? Lol, nowhere near. It's so far from perfect.

You're so wrong!

So, it's a system to favour those who are not so good with the game. As you say, "to stop them getting demoralised."

The system in ExciteTruck is better.

It's called Be Better At The Game.

If you're better at the game, you're more likely to win, yes. In theory. However, Mario Kart doesn't rely on theory or logic. It relies on random. You know that if you're in last place, you're going to get a Bullet Bill to push you all the way up the track. Multiple routes and shortcuts are good, but there are only a handful of tracks that are actually fun to play. When you take into account the number of racers, the number of human opponents (if you're online), the overdose of weapons (bullet bills, lightning strikes, clouds, etc) and the actual track design, it makes the races more chaotic - and not in a good way. It was pure overkill.

It had the makings to be a classic, but it really isn't. It's not even the best Mario Kart, as Mario Kart DS was a better game with better tracks, and that had online (not a great online system, but it still had it).

Bikes. That's another thing. From what I remember, you are FORCED to use them in the game, if you want to unlock characters and more tracks. As an optional extra, great. But, why should you be forced to use vehicles you don't want to use?

If you played it only once, then you have done yourself a massive disservice. It is a fantastic game. Also, why would you hate using the wii remote on its side? You don't even have to think about it in ExciteTruck. You just do it. Its natural (well, closer to actual driving natural), much more so than using an analogue stick and shoulder buttons. Mario Kart may have all these great control options, but what's the use if the actual game isn't that fun to play anyway?

Obviously, you're entitled to your opinion and all that. But, I didn't have that much fun with it. Every now and again, it is quite fun. But, it's not consistently awesome. Brawl is consistently awesome. Mario Kart DS was. Mario Kart Wii is most definitely not. If you had some kind of option to turn the weapons down, like in brawl, the frequency of it, then that would be great. But...it's a fucking mess. So much so that I didn't even buy it. Ine's got it.

Sega All Stars Racing was much more fun than Mario Kart Wii anyway.

Actually, you know what, I think I agree with this to an extent. Granted, the online wasn't nearly as good (was a bit difficult to pick up matches in the Wii version) as MKWii but I think I enjoyed the tracks a lot more. With MKWii, the only one that's sort of stuck in my mind is Koopa Cape whereas more of the tracks in SASR have stuck. Similarly, as much as I love playing as Mario and Co., being able to play as Billy Hatcher or what's-his-name from Jet Set Radio was much more fun.

Don't know where I stand on the Excite Truck vs MKWii though. Been too long since I've played the former to choose (although I'm sure I saw it dirt cheap somewhere so may go and pick it up as I remember it being a hell of a lot of fun). If the multiplayer options were better in Excite Truck, then it'd easy choice but as they are, I think MKWii just takes it.

Will have to sit down and make my own top 25 but I think Flinky's list is more in line with my thinking (Dead Space: Extraction, Silent Hill, Zack and Wiki, Cursed Mountain, De Blob :santa:). Very good list there. More people really should give Cursed Mountain a go. Think it's £5 in Gamestation pre-owned. Definitely got an Eternal Darkness vibe and the whole Buddhist mythology behind it is rather interesting.

Sega All Stars Racing was much more fun than Mario Kart Wii anyway.

I have similar problems with games like Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing and Sega Superstars Tennis.. they both feel like cheap imitations :hmm: I didn't find either of them particularly satisfying to play..

You know when you start a game and you're, say, around 5 hours in and you can just tell it's going to be something special..?

That's what it's like playing Xenoblade Chronicles for me just now. I imagine it will make it into my top 25 quite easily, where in there I won't be sure until I'm done playing it but so far so... wow!

• 3 weeks later...
You're so wrong!

I'm a little late to this thread, but I just wanted to say how much I agree with you here. I'm not sure if I'd say MK Wii is the best racing game of all time ( I can't pick a favorite ) , but its certainly the most fun I've had with any of the racing games I own and I really feel its the best Mario Kart Nintendo have made so far. From 12 player racing online, uploading/downloading time trials with friends or worldwide, tons of characters,karts and bikes to unlock and then local mutliplayer which has more options then any of the previous MK games. Plus the stuff you mentioned in your post.

I really liked the way the online racing is done, with an endless series of races with people dropping in and out of it. I like that you can have a friends room and have so many options to set what karts or bikes people can use and what items with show up and the weight class. I also like that the game has a new competition every fortnight (which is still running to this day), so you always have something new to try out.

I think the only thing I didn't like was the lack of a normal battle mode. I do like team battle but they should of had the option to play classic battle mode in there.

Also, really surprised to see Sonic and Sega All stars mode mentioned as being better here, my experience with that game was it had incredibly cheap AI, poor tracks (in both design and that almost all of them where sonic related) some not very well balanced items and an annoying commentator. but hey, at least we got to see Ryo Hazuki again.

Edited by Helmsly

Also, really surprised to see Sonic and Sega All stars mode mentioned as being better here, my experience with that game was it had incredibly cheap AI, poor tracks (in both design and that almost all of them where sonic related) some not very well balanced items and an annoying commentator. but hey, at least we got to see Ryo Hazuki again.

I admit I never plated the Wii version (it was the 360 version), but I never had a problem with the AI - it's pretty normal for kart games. If you don't like it, just turn rubber banding off. The commentator can also be turned off.

The tracks weren't the best karting tracks but still miles ahead of those in MKWii - which are easily the worst Mario Kart tracks. The only ones I remember is the dreadful mall level and the snowy remake of the Donkey Kong level from Double Dash!!

Edit: It also had a great - and quite long - mission mode.

Edited by Cube

Excite Truck is a great game. Not easy to immediately go back to and get into, but a great game nonetheless. The music on my SD card could do with a little update. For me Excite Truck has a "next gen" feel to it that a lot of other Wii games have lacked - snigger, two Gamecubes duct taped together.

Over 100 hours into Xenoblade Chronicles and I'd say it's in my top 3 now for sure... what a game!

I've only managed a fraction of that so far but its probably definitely in my top five Wii games, top ten for sure. DQ X, SS, and TLA will no doubt barge their way into my top ten too. :o

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!