Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Amy Winehouse Found Dead

Dante

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That self destructive personality made her the singer and songwriter she was. Anyone separating the two, saying that she shouldn't have drank so much and taken so many drugs, is being an utter dolt. (As for anyone calling her an idiot for being a drug addict, you cannot conceive her reasoning or what she or anyone who has been in a similar position has gone through. Passing judgement on someone you have very little real idea about; you're just as bad as the media's malign armchair pop evangelists.)

In the words of Neil Young, "It's better to burn out than fade away." While not universally true, Amy Winehouse certainly burned out. That's more than most people will do.

Anyone bringing Norway into it too, is an utter dolt. These are completely unrelated. They affect different people in completely different ways. In fact, I'd love to hear it explained how it is easier to sympathize with the 90+ people who were randomly killed in Norway than with an individual who has culturally been a part of most people's world (even passively) for quite a while, especially considering she was known for her music, a medium that draws on 'intrinsic' and personal theme in life. Personally, I'm pretty indifferent to both events.

I am truly upset at the news.

I have never been this upset by a celebrity or musician passing away.

Think its probably to do with the fact that in my opinion she was one of the biggest talents within music in terms of writing and that voice.

Her music reached out to millions of people (me included) and I will never forget when I discovered her for the first time.

I always hoped we'd see her at the height of her musical ability again (did she ever even reach it?) and now the news of her death has kind of been like a punch in the face that unfortunately, she will not have the chance to overcome the demons that were in her life and reach that place.

I always rooted for her and hoped she would make it out of the dark place she was clearly in.

Amy Winehouse was very special and extremely gifted, but I don't think she ever believed she was good enough.

It is such a sad loss. :(

RIP.

Edited by Aneres11

I'm in this camp:

http://tylercoates.tumblr.com/

(that isn't the original poster btw)

I understand there's a difference between self-righteousness and sense/logic, but when it comes to this tragedy comparison, I get annoyed by the moral battles. I wasn't touched per se by any of Amy Winehouse's stuff, but I understand the crowd who liked her. It's possible to feel sad for all tragedies - unknown groups, celebrities, or singular fatalities -in an equal way. They all bear different meanings and their personal impacts vary with individuals. You can't fight the fact that horrible events may feel more distant than those which are comparatively frivolous but perhaps closer to home somehow.

Blah dee blah.

Edit: realised Daft covered most of the above just now

Edited by dwarf

Nobody asked him to shed a tear, and yet he came here to effectively bemoan those who might've done themselves (maybe a slight exaggeration) as if they weren't justified in doing so.

I don't salute Moogle at all.

The circumstances can't be comprehended.

Hey, for all I know she had a fantastic life and really enjoyed all the substances she took. Or she took them to distract herself from serious problems. Whatever the reason, the hate in here seems a bit much.

It's clear it's not a surprising event, so can people stop saying they are not surprised.

I'm not offended by people hating on her, I don't allow myself to be offended easily.

I just think it's stupid to belittle her death in relation to an event that's completely unconnected. The timing is coincidence, yet it makes everyone blind.

On my FB when there's this type of double-incident it feels like there's two crowds, one that posts a R.I.P status about a celebrity death, and the other which takes to rationalising the fact that the person is just one of many. It's such a wank argument, it really is.

There's no point in pretending to bereave some well respected person if you don't particularly care for them, but there isn't anything that wrong in showing that you're sorry for someone if you appreciated what they did.

When Amy Whinehouse pushes the Norway Crisis off the news, then rant all you want, but any reputable news sites refrain from being so ignorant.

There's more I could say but I might look like I'm caring too much and I don't want to preach like a prissy killjoy.

Edited by dwarf

I always hoped we'd see her at the height of her musical ability again (did she ever even reach it?) and now the news of her death has kind of been like a punch in the face that unfortunately, she will not have the chance to overcome the demons that were in her life and reach that place.

I always rooted for her and hoped she would make it out of the dark place she was clearly in.

I was rooting for her too...wanted to hear a new album so bad. She's not my favourite singer ever, I only know/love a handful of her songs, but her ability can't be denied.

I feel like she was so out of it on drugs that she wanted this...at least she left us her music to remember her by.

The most horrible thing is that even in death the judgement and hate doesn't stop. I truly pity her. People can be such cruel things. I wish 'they''d show a little more sympathy and respect. As mentioned, a death's a death. It is sad.

(I'm recalling Stalin's quote in relation to the idiotic comparison with Norway. Something like "One death is a tragedy, hundreds is just a statistic." Cold, but true. People did know her, Amy Winehouse. Listen to her music and you'll probably know more about her than you do yourself.)

Personally, I do find it surprising. She had a terrible time in recent years but, to be fair, in the past year it seemed she had moved on. Particularly during those months she spent in some place by the beech far away. sigh

Yes. My name is (partly) inspired by the great album of the same name. I needn't say how much I adored her. She was the first artist I truly got into.

Interestingly, I found out while working today. It's my new job. I'm a waiter. 1st day I'm told about Oslo -- the place I plan to visit in about a week. 2nd day -- I'm told one of my favorite singers has died...

I just wanna write pages and pages about this :( I'll stop though.

It's bittersweet. She always looked so unhappy. Perhaps she can finally rest in peace. No torture.

I just think it's stupid to belittle her death in relation to an event that's completely unconnected. The timing is coincidence, yet it makes everyone blind.

How do you know it's unconnected? All the news reports I've seen have said the death is "unexplained"

Let the speculation commence!

Amy Winehouse’s music affected a lot of people’s lives. I think it is very arrogant to belittle people who have been saddened by her death. Everyone has a singer or actor or other “celebrity” who’s death would devastate them. Just because you don’t like her music, or her lifestyle, doesn’t mean you should make fun of those who have. I’d be bed-ridden if Janelle Monae died, and I’ll cry a bunch if David Bowie, Beck or Prince dies before I can see them live.

Celebrity deaths are not unimportant just because they are one person. All deaths are. Millions of people died today, it’s ridiculous to suggest we should treat them all equally or rank them in importance.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!