N-Europe

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

Beast

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing it in 3D.

I've read reviews and they've said that the 3D is well-used and does work and one of my friends who won a competition to see it has also said it was good in 3D. There's a special on at the cinemas right now where they're showing both Deathly Hallows movies back-to-back.

I wish I could go! :(

Just got back from it. In 2D. Definitely the best of the lot. A definite 7/10.

It's only flaw is really how weak the end of the plot was, which was already the book's problem. That contrived conclusion was definitely the movie's only fault, as in every other field it was quite the example to follow when it comes to a successfull light-fantasy blockbuster.

But hey, it's better than the book. Which isn't hard, since the last one is... well, just absurdly mediocre.

I'll rate the whole serious, while I'm at it.

Philosopher's Stone - 5/10 - Not bad. Just average, the very definition of a 5.

Chamber of Secrets - 5/10 - Worst of the lot, quite average and uninteresting, but not bad.

Prisoner of Azkaban - 6/10 - This is when the series starts coming into it's own. A slightly above average quality film, nicely directed and quite fun.

Goblet of Fire - 5/10 - Second worst... butchered the book, this one. But still okay.

Order of the Phoenix - 5.5/10 - A step up from the previous ones, the tone gets darker, and overall everything starts feeling more fleshed out, cool.

Half Blood Prince - 6/10 - keeps climbing the rope of greatness in incremental steps, a solid fun film.

Deathly Hallows Pt.I - 6.5/10 - You can really set this one apart from the others... it's actually getting quite good now.

Deathly Hallows Pt.II - 7/10 - A culmination of a decade's work, whose only (if major) fault is the weak conclusion point of the main storyline, which is completely forgettable and predictable.

Saw the film tonight and thought it was pretty good. It's been ages since I read the books though (only read them once when they came out) so pretty much forgot most from them. Went to see it with my sister and her boyfriend who realised in the middle of the film that they didn't see the previous one (and they never read the books). So that was a bit difficult. =P

But yeah film was good. I don't think any of the HP films are great, just nice popcorn flicks that I'll probably only really watch in the cinema and not really again after that (unless they happen to be on and I'm bored or something). Cinema just adds a bit more than just watching it on a tv heh.

I don't mind 3D apart from when it genuinely ruins a film. I know a lot of people (like Rez) will say it ALWAYS ruins a film

Oh I don't think it ruins films its just completely and utterly pointless, adds a surcharge and I wish the whole fad would fuck off.

Having said that, this entire movie was black, so I imagine if the screen isn't well lit enough then people seeing it in 3D will be fucked.

--------

I thought it was pretty good. Sound is a bit annoying at time (slow motion swoosh past big battles/not actually hearing it properly as if its in a bubble kind of thing is used at LOADS of it) and....there is only fleeting glimpses of the main battle. Important stuff happening off screen.

But yeah. Couple of moments of epicness. Generally fairly good. I still think Azkaban is the best though.

---------

General movie going public never cease to amaze me though, once again proving that they don't know when to laugh/hearing PATHETIC sniffing of people crying from the most ridiculous scenes. (I can understand getting teary/crying at bits if you're a hardcore fan...but the scenes at which I heard sniffing) honestly...just....quite pathetic.

But yeah. Good.

Jut got back from this in 3D. Was actually used surprisingly well, and a lot more consistently than I expected. Films like Thor had whole scenes without any 3D, whereas I'm pretty sure this was 3D constantly. The screen wasn't too dark at all (there was one part that you couldn't see the characters, but after taking the glasses off and seeing no difference, I assumed this was purposeful)

Basically the 3D was good, and in a few parts it was absolutely brilliant. The film itself was also good, I enjoyed for the same reason that I didn't particular like the other ones - it followed the story of the book very closely and missed very little out (the other films missed ridiculously large amounts out, is what I mean). This one stayed mostly faithful to the book and I'm sure the fans will be pleased with it.

One thing I thought was a shame was the nature of the trailer...

The trailer showed a few parts of the film, such as the spell-clashing battle between Harry and Voldemort and the part where they jump of the battlements (for some reason). When Harry goes to the Forest to die I couldn't help thinking that even people who hadn't read the book would know that Harry was going to be fine because those scenes hadn't happened yet. In the book there were a few moments where you questioned what would happen, and while you kind of expected Harry to live, there was always a sneaking suspicion that he wouldn't. In the film there was no suspicion of that, as we'd seen a few bits from the trailer that showed him clearly alive and fighting.

Anyway, I just thought it was a shame as that was one of the most excellent part of the books when Harry came back.

Other than that I thought it was excellent, definitely the best of the 8 films and the ending, although a bit cringe, was better than I expected.

Prisoner of Azkaban is also my favourite of the bunch, even after seeing part two this morning. I think it's a culmination of the story, seeing the characters finally begin to mature with the film, and the, at least I feel, brilliant direction. I also loved how it dealt with the more humorous moments of the story. I think the whole back in time bit just clicked with me perfectly, and worked so well on screen.

Anyway, I enjoyed the final film. Probably going to go back to watch them all again at some point. I'm going to miss Hermione. She's just one of the most perfect characters, and so enjoyable to watch.

I used to love Prisoner of Azkaban even bought it on DVD when it came out because it was my favourite. Watched it recently and was disappointed didn't realise how poor it actually is. :p Alas.

Excited for the final film though looks like the best of the lot. I've seen the start like twice already. I am going to see it on Thursday. :D

Just back from seeing it. Initial impressions are very good. Although I wouldn't say the 3D in it is bad it doesn't really add to the film and you'll most likely be concentrating on other things on screen to notice it much. That said, it's not used like a gimmick like in Saw 3D but it's effects are subtle nonetheless. It's always satisfying to see everything wrap up but I still think Goblet of Fire is my favourite. For me, it was the events of that book/film that really moved the story forward.

I liked this having not really enjoyed any of the films since the first one d having not read the books. I'd be happy watching this one and the last one and leaving it at that.

Also: If I look as similar in 19years I'll eat my wizarding hat.

I loved it, it was pretty well done and I wasn't bothered by the things that were missing, it was incredibly sad as expected and really well done.

Although dark film - ouch on the eyes when the blinding white lights come into play. OW! I suppose it didn't help I'd done a night-shift and had been up for 24 hours but...

I watched this last night... haven't seen so much of 5 minutes of any of the others combined but my friend wanted to see it and it was looking like this or Bridesmaids... so very much a rock and hard place situation.

Given I know very little of anything Potter, I was surprised at how easy it was to follow and that I didn't walk out of there thinking I'd wasted my time because it wasn't a bad film. It did seem a touch long at times though. There were a couple of instances when I thought it might be the end of the film, but it wasn't.

And the last scene, 19 years on... really? If the only thing different to my appearance in 19 years is my haircut, I'll be amazed.

But biggest gripe of all - no Batman trailer :(

Edited by Captain Falcon

I watched this on friday. I saw it in 3d which was ok. 2D would do the film the same justice i feel.

I never read the books so the film was a surprise. I thought that the story line was pretty weak and predictable. There were many places she could have thrown in the OMG i never saw that coming moment but she is not a great author so it probably goes to show.

Film was a solid 7/10 not a transformers or an X-men first class. but i would say 2nd or 3rd best film so far this year.

Went to see it last night was good but was hoping/expecting more from it. For it being the final chapter I was expecting more epicness from it.

I think part of it for me ayway was the music score let it down. It seemed like they were trying to play on the "it's the last part" emotional chord of the fans with lots of slow reflective type music. It needed more epic/actiony type sounds.

Some parts seemed like JK was trying too hard to shock people but didn't do it right. Like some of the deaths. Harry just comes back from the fight to find some people dead, it all felt a bit "meh" so what to be honest. If they really wanted to shock people we should have actually seen those people die during the battle. Like Drakos friend in the fire that was shocking/surprising/good.

Harry being a Horcrux(sp?) was predictible (note: I never read the books) but a great chance to really shake things up. I expected Harry and Voldamont(sp?) to both die that would have been unexpected and would have shown the author had some balls. I mean after killing Dumbledore killing Harry should have been easy. But no he just happens to have the Resurrection stone at the last minute. :heh:

Though what I don't get about that is he dropped it? So how did he survive after Voldy "killed" him if he wasn't holding the stone?

And that bit in the white/heaven trains station with Dumbeldore.... did anyone else expect Neo to appear?

Snapes death was a surprise, while even though I never read the book I did know he was actually a bit of a double agent (think I read a plot summary somewhere) but I didn't know/expect he would die. I was expecting him to jump in during the final battle and help Harry or something. So I was surprised by that and in a good way too.

One thing I never really got however was Harry's relationship with Rons sister, it felt so forced and they had so few scenes/moment together through all the films. I was actually hoping he'd end up with Luna at the end just to mess things up a bit :heh:

Overall though from the first film there is a set up for something epic to end it all and for me I didn't feel like that promise was kept. It ended with a whimper more than a bang (to borrow the phrase)

Went to see it last night was good but was hoping/expecting more from it. For it being the final chapter I was expecting more epicness from it.

I think part of it for me ayway was the music score let it down. It seemed like they were trying to play on the "it's the last part" emotional chord of the fans with lots of slow reflective type music. It needed more epic/actiony type sounds.

Some parts seemed like JK was trying too hard to shock people but didn't do it right. Like some of the deaths. Harry just comes back from the fight to find some people dead, it all felt a bit "meh" so what to be honest. If they really wanted to shock people we should have actually seen those people die during the battle. Like Drakos friend in the fire that was shocking/surprising/good.

Harry being a Horcrux(sp?) was predictible (note: I never read the books) but a great chance to really shake things up. I expected Harry and Voldamont(sp?) to both die that would have been unexpected and would have shown the author had some balls. I mean after killing Dumbledore killing Harry should have been easy. But no he just happens to have the Resurrection stone at the last minute. :heh:

Though what I don't get about that is he dropped it? So how did he survive after Voldy "killed" him if he wasn't holding the stone?

And that bit in the white/heaven trains station with Dumbeldore.... did anyone else expect Neo to appear?

Snapes death was a surprise, while even though I never read the book I did know he was actually a bit of a double agent (think I read a plot summary somewhere) but I didn't know/expect he would die. I was expecting him to jump in during the final battle and help Harry or something. So I was surprised by that and in a good way too.

One thing I never really got however was Harry's relationship with Rons sister, it felt so forced and they had so few scenes/moment together through all the films. I was actually hoping he'd end up with Luna at the end just to mess things up a bit :heh:

Overall though from the first film there is a set up for something epic to end it all and for me I didn't feel like that promise was kept. It ended with a whimper more than a bang (to borrow the phrase)

1) I have to agree, i really would have liked to have seen more of the fighting between other characters. I know it is a Harry Potter film but i feel that it was too much about him.

Watching the twins fight and die would have been awesome for me. They are the jokers but watch em kick arse when needed, take few down with them.

2) Horcrux thing was predictables as well as the snake being a horcrux. I would like to have seen another character kill Voldamorte. Luna would have been a good twist.

3) Yeah the whole death scene was really wierd. No ryhme or reason really. it just happened.

I think the whole love thing with harry and ginny was explore in the order of the pheonix. So i dont think it needed explaining. There was something there in the earlier films too.

I think the whole love thing with harry and ginny was explore in the order of the pheonix. So i dont think it needed explaining. There was something there in the earlier films too.

Oh yeah I know that but it still always felt very forced like Harry had to end up with someone oh lets just make it his best friends sister, in comparison to Herminie(sp?) and Ron which felt a bit more natural.

Excellent film, and the 3D didn't bother me at all for once, it was quite seamless and unobtrusive.

I've not read the books but having read up on how the final confrontation happens in the book, I'm very glad the film adapted it for the big screen and upped the scale.

Half Blood Prince was mind-numbingly awful and boring, with no real plot and pacing issues all over the place, and DH Part 1 wasn't really a film in its own right, so it's a good thing the pay off with Part 2 made up for both.

But no he just happens to have the Resurrection stone at the last minute.

:heh:

The ressurection stone doesn't bring you back from the dead, it allows you to converse with deceased friends and family. Thought that was obvious but I guess not.

Voldermort destroyed the Horcrux within Harry, he didn't kill Harry himself.

The ressurection stone doesn't bring you back from the dead, it allows you to converse with deceased friends and family. Thought that was obvious but I guess not.

Voldermort destroyed the Horcrux within Harry, he didn't kill Harry himself.

Really that's all it does? I assumed he got it at that point so he would know he could destory the Horcrux in him and survive.

Seems very silly that Voldy would only destroy the Horcrux without dealling a fatality on Harry? I thought the idea was to actually "Destroy" the Horcrux that is holding part of Voldy's soul.

Didn't all the other objects get destroyed? Not just Voldys soul part was destroyed but the object it was in left intact?

In all honesty that feels even more of a cop out than him getting an object that could revive him from death at the last minute. I would have prefered if the stone had revived him now :heh:

If JK had the balls what she should have done was have both Voldy and Harry die.

Voldemort was using the Elder Wand, a wand whose Master by that point was Harry. The Elder Wand can never fatally wound it's master, so all it did was destroy the Horcrux. It makes perfect sense and isn't a cop out in the slightest. It fits in well with the HP backstory which you should prob pay more attention to.

Watch this scene from Part 1, that explains the Deathly Hallows and what the Ressurection Stone does:

Edited by Ronnie

Voldemort was using the Elder Wand, a wand whose Master by that point was Harry. The Elder Wand can never fatally wound it's master, so all it did was destroy the Horcrux. It makes perfect sense and isn't a cop out in the slightest. It fits in well with the HP backstory which you should prob pay more attention to.

Ah right, didn't consider the Elder Wand component, in that case it does make sense so... maybe it could have done with Harry saying "and that's how I survived" or something when he was explaining about him actually being the Elder Wands master.

Though I was actually wondering about that too but forgot earlier. How would disarming Drako of a different wand make Harry the master of the Elder Wand? But ah I'll just it go now.