N-Europe

Press enter to post your comment.

Charlie

So a new feature on Facebook has recently been rolled out to everyone which means there is no longer a 'comment' button and instead you just need to press enter.

Pretty simple idea, something we've been doing on Google all our lives but naturally the whole of the Internet are going up in arms about it. The fact of the matter is that the vast majority of comments don't use more than 1 paragraph anyway and if you do need to shift+enter starts a new line.

It has raised the classic argument with people saying "if it ain't broke don't fix it". To these people I say if the whole world used that argument then Facebook would still look like it did the day it came out and no features would ever have been modified. And this wouldn't just stop at Facebook, mobile phones wouldn't exist in the form they do at the moment.

What do you guys think about:

a) Pressing enter to post a comment rather than a button

b) "If it ain't broke don't fix it"

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fucking annoying, yesterday I begun a wall-o-text smashed enter to get a new paragraph and my unfinished masterpiece was posted without me realising. Cheers Facebook.

I find it annoying, like 50% of Facebook's new features and facelifts. But I'll adapt and eventually get use to it.

It's fucking annoying, yesterday I begun a wall-o-text smashed enter to get a new paragraph and my unfinished masterpiece was posted without me realising. Cheers Facebook.

I find it annoying, like 50% of Facebook's new features and facelifts. But I'll adapt and eventually get use to it.

^^^^ Nuff said.

It's annoying when you don't realise it and press enter to make a new paragraph then are confused why you post already posted.

But like Ramer, I'll get used to it.

I'm more worried about the mostly "semi-computer literate" users of FB, the people who just barely know how to use a computer and likely don't know "shift+enter", they'll be well confused by this and think something is broken

I'm more worried about the mostly "semi-computer literate" users of FB, the people who just barely know how to use a computer and likely don't know "shift+enter", they'll be well confused by this and think something is broken

A lot of these people don't use multiple paragraphs anyway and just bash away on the same line.

The vast majority of comments only use one line so this just makes things simpler and if you do need to start a new paragraph then you can either use shift+enter or just start a whole new comment.

Changes are good if there is a point to them.

What is the point of this?

It saves time if the post is one paragraph long, which the majority of the time it is. Actually I wasn't told about this change happening and I knew by just looking at the screen. Even if you don't see it on the first click does everyone just keep their head down for the entire comment?

Edited by heroicjanitor

It saves time if the post is one paragraph long, which the majority of the time it is. Actually I wasn't told about this change happening and I knew by just looking at the screen. Even if you don't see it on the first click does everyone just keep their head down for the entire comment?

I was looking at the screen the whole time, just didn't notice it had gone.

As long as you can press Shift + Enter it should be fine. Isn't that how the old Facebook (MSN messenger) worked anyway?

People are fighting for their liberty in Libya. Japan suffers a terrible disaster and a nuclear crisis. The Cricket World Cup is on...

There's a cricket world cup?

As long as you can press Shift + Enter it should be fine. Isn't that how the old Facebook (MSN messenger) worked anyway?

So, they've gone backwards with progression?. Does it make sense, only time will tell.

Personally, when i found out this feature early yesterday, thought it were pretty neat. I mean, as most people only post 1 paragraph as an update it makes sense to do this.

But, it can get annoying having to press "Shift + Enter" to get a new paragraph. As i discovered by littering someones wall with messages/paragraphs all separate because of the feature.

I'll get used to it, like many of the features facebook bring out for the end-user. But i do wish they'd fix some of the existing features before adding new ones. I've only just got used to the new Photo viewer they bought out.

People gripe with new layouts, i don't care personally. I like change.

There's a cricket world cup?

Yes, its on now!!.

People are fighting for their liberty in Libya. Japan suffers a terrible disaster and a nuclear crisis. The Cricket World Cup is on...

...why is this even vaguely important?

You could say that for just about anything.

If you wanna start a new line just SHIFT+enter and walla...

I suppose the aim of this is trying to make comments more instaneous. Ye must have noticed the update where when you post a comment it literally posts straight away.

You could say that for just about anything.

If you wanna start a new line just SHIFT+enter and walla...

I suppose the aim of this is trying to make comments more instaneous. Ye must have noticed the update where when you post a comment it literally posts straight away.

walla? Voilà?

Soon it will update as you type.

Didn't Google Wave try that?

I don't mind the change. It'll be annoying if I need to post more than one paragraph but as people have said there's always shift+enter. I don't know why facebook can't make some of their 'pointless' changes optional though.