Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

What Amounts To Success? (thrip)

Oxigen_Waste

Well said, Falcon.

It's blatantly obvious that becoming a father is a big achievement. To say anything else is overanalysing for the sake of it, so well done, Mokong.

I am not a father and don't want to be yet. I am happy, but I am not successful. There's no contradiction in that to me.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's wrong that a thread like this was even made/ripped. It's totally unfair on Mokong to have a thread for people to come in and slate him for what he considers to be achievements. I think what has happened to you over the past year is great, and you should be proud of what you've done. IMO, getting married and having a kid is a miles better than having a amazing job/money. (Not like i have any of those things, but from my point now, i'd say so ;))

I would like to believe in the goodness of Jay and that he meant the thread to live up to the title he chose, which is quite different to "is Mokong successful?" The thread should be about how each individual chooses to measure their own success, rather than a criticism of others based upon your own yardstick.

For the record, I believe that choosing to live the life of a family man, and doing your best at it, is succeeding at life. I wish I can someday find that sort of happiness.

To have something to add to the discussion: The argument that someone made - that anyone can be a father - is laughable. Anyone can impregnate a woman, but raising a child in a stable environment is a much harder task.

One more thing: From my time here, I've grown accustomed to Oxi_Waste's attitude, but those who haven't will be understandably pissed. He words his opinions as if they were fact (and I am still not sure if he subconsciously believes that), which makes him sound like an asshole. But you really shouldn't take what he says personally, or else you'll pop a blood vessel.

Well said, Falcon.

Well someone had to. Originally I wanted to write something stronger but I didn't want to be seen to have been dragged down to the level of someone else.

I would like to believe in the goodness of Jay and that he meant the thread to live up to the title he chose, which is quite different to "is Mokong successful?" The thread should be about how each individual chooses to measure their own success, rather than a criticism of others based upon your own yardstick.

I'm not sure how much of this was taken from the other thread, but given it was well on it's way there with just the first post, let alone by the time we get to the fourth, it was clearly a massive misjudgment on Jay's part.

But no offense Jay, it's nothing personal. You just fail at the life of a mod, that's all ;)

I just want to clarify that I don't think Mokong has "failed" at life or whatever. On the contrary, I think he's done a great job with everything so far. He's happy with his life and the things he's achieving, and I don't think it's anyone's business to tell him otherwise.

I was just explaining my own goals in life, which are different heh.

I'm sorry Eenuh but it's difficult not to take something like that personal when his name has been brought up directly and then he's accused of "failing at life".

If that were aimed at me, I'm not sure I would have been quite as contained as Mokong in my response because it was nothing more than another forum member once again trying to prove their superiority over someone else by belittling their life and achievements because they don't match theirs.

Maybe I'm doing the same in my response but after reading that, I felt compelled to say something. I can't honestly say I've read a post that has annoyed as much as that one has... and people on here do post an alarming amount of rubbish at times.

I agree completely with this. Oxygen, it did come across as quite an arrogant post. Maybe you should re-read your posts sometimes and think about how your words may sound.

I think it's wrong that a thread like this was even made/ripped. It's totally unfair on Mokong to have a thread for people to come in and slate him for what he considers to be achievements. I think what has happened to you over the past year is great, and you should be proud of what you've done. IMO, getting married and having a kid is a miles better than having a amazing job/money. (Not like i have any of those things, but from my point now, i'd say so ;))

I also agree with this. But, no doubt the thread-ripping issue will be ripped into its own thread. ;)

Oxygen, just out of curiosity, what would you say you've done that has made your life a success. Not a trick question or me having a go, but I think it's very easy for you to sit there and slate somebody else's life. It's very easy to criticise. Also, about the travelling issue you raise, for some people they may not have the drive to do such a thing or to them it just isn't feasible. Also, aren't you yourself just creating another "order" by saying that Mokong should be doing this or that whilst at the same time pointing out what you think society dictates us to do. Mokong probably doesn't do what "society wants" or even what "you want." He's done what he has wanted. And, I think he's been very successful at that. If he's set a marker for himself and has got to that point, then surely he has been successful in that?

Also, stereotypes: Who gives a shit. He's an Irish-Philipino with amazing hair. Yes, and he's also Franklin. There's only one of him. If he can say that he is Franklin, then he is unique and doesn't belong to a stereotype. What he has done in life and where he comes from only equates to a fraction of the person that he is. I think you were too quick to judge, despite whether you think you are right or wrong. You only know so much about him, and the bits that you do know only come to a small portion of who he is.

I just want to clarify that I don't think Mokong has "failed" at life or whatever. On the contrary, I think he's done a great job with everything so far. He's happy with his life and the things he's achieving, and I don't think it's anyone's business to tell him otherwise.

I was just explaining my own goals in life, which are different heh.

I don't see why you'd have to justify yourself Eenuh, you don't want children, you, like myself view parenthood differently and for some of the thread it was a good debate on such, unfortunately it became too personal.

I may make another thread on women not having children, as it seems to be an issue I deal with personally and it'd be quite interesting to see people's views without being so heated in this thread.

I'm not sure how much of this was taken from the other thread, but given it was well on it's way there with just the first post, let alone by the time we get to the fourth, it was clearly a massive misjudgment on Jay's part.

Up until Diageo mentions Down Syndrome, that was from the other thread.

@Oxi_Waste: You do sound arrogant, man. I know you're blunt and crude regarding everything, but you really should be more careful in your wording when dealing with stuff like this.

I find it quite weird being discussed as someone successful on here, thanks though to you guys who have mentioned me.

From my point of view I'm actually not too sure what amounts to success. I think it's doing something individual, and attaining a level very few people can reach. I'd consider top sports people, successful company owners, world leaders as successful people. I don't consider myself successful at all, but I do feel like things are on the right track for me to achieve the things that I would consider to be successful.

On Mokong's 'success' being discussed in here, ie. the family thing - It's something I don't consider successful at all, though it's definitely something I respect and want for myself. It just doesn't register on my success radar I guess. Still a great thing though.

Mokong: try not to take things too personal.

Sorry Ine, but like Captian Falcon said

this

I'll bet he's happy (for now)

and this

If anything, I'd personally say he's failing at life for slowing himself down with kids at such a young age. It's like he's having a kid just to add some excitement to the formula.

Made it seem very personal.

I think it's wrong that a thread like this was even made/ripped. It's totally unfair on Mokong

Don't worry I don't mind it. I was actually consider ripping myself as it was way off tangent to the original thread and have just engulfed that one.

Again, I wasn't judging you, I was judging what I thought you represented. But it turns out I was right in my hunch.

Sorry but again, the two parts I quoted for Ine above did make it feel like your whole post was a judgement of me and my family.

You say you have no lack of ambition and then say that it's not gonna bother you if you can't achieve more. That's compromising. I can't even think of a metaphor that surpasses the reality you just confirmed.

I'm sorry when you talk about "achieving more" I thought you meant money wise, I made a good living in my previous job, currently in the job hunting market thanks to the recession, but I know I will find something of similar or greater value wage wise. Just cause it's not going to bother me if I can't get "more" doesn't mean I won't still try. But money isn't the end all or be all of the world to me.

Children should be a consequence of living, not a driving force in life.

I don't get this part, sounds like your saying children are a punishment of life when you use "consequence". Obviously it's different for some, but for me family is a very important thing, central if you will, and being able to start my own is part of life not just something to add excitement or pour energy into.

But in the end you kind of lost me again. You finish top of your class in a course, and you settle for the first thing that gets thrown at you even before the offers came in (as the exam results weren't processed yet)??? You see, to me, that's settling. Accepting whatever gets thrown at you. You finish top and don't explore option? Again, how unamabitious is that, Mokong???? This isn't even funny.

Maybe I didn't go into as much detail. There were other exams during the year that were taken into account too... it was just the final exams and overall grading I was waiting for. I had my CV out there, I did have other offers, it just so happened where I did my work expereince offered me a better starting wage. And I take it as a positive that after only just doing work expereince there that they saw potential in me to be a good asset for them.

Before they even hired me full time they offered me part work that invovled a lot of responsibility, helping organise and accompany a local pilgrimage to Lourdes.

I enjoyed the work I did before being offered full time, I liked working with the staff there and I was familiar with their set up. Plus offering me more than my other potentials, I don't view that as "settling".

To me settling would have been if I stayed in any of my previous jobs before that one.

You know, the true meaning of traveling, not looking at foreign places through a plastic dome.

And excuse me for saying so, but with that type of travelling, it's irresponsible to bring a child along.

The "true meaning of travel" can be different to different people, there is no "true meaning" really. Don't get what you mean by plastic dome though, unless it's a meseum I've never viewed a destination through a plactic dome or glass wall. The backpacking thing was never my kind of thing, fair play to you though for the 2 years. I know a lot of people who've gone for a year to Australia, while I do plan to visit some places in Oz they year travel thing doesn't appeal to me. But if you want to talk about "roughing it", I can assure you I've done plenty of that over the years. Usually with a bamboo bed and no mattress or blankets or concret floors with not but a small pillow. As for bringing my child, you misunderstood me. I wouldn't bring him sightseeing to different places now, he's too small and won;t remember anything. Of course I meant when he's a bit older. He will be travelling to the Philippines in a few months though to visit his grandparents there but we're not planning any island hopping trips this time.

It's a shame it's an island, I'd really like to get to know Manila.

I don't see how it being many islands would stop you, Manila is great but there are better places outside of it and on other islands. Domestic flights are usually not that expensive or you can get a ferry. If you're thinking of it the Philippines is a great backpacking destination, I highly recommend it.

When I worked in the travel agents, I had a client go there last year and he's going back next year to see other parts he missed out on first time.

Now, you can't tell me with a straight face that having kids doesn't slow you down, of course it does, it's a universal truth, you have to give up a lot in order to raise a child, don't you make it sound like there's no sacrifices. It gets in the way of pretty much everything!

The only thing I've given up is a good nights sleep, haha.

Though I rarely got a good nights sleep before anyway.

B - really didn't have that much planned and didn't mind starting a family.

And since you planned the child and keep telling me it hasn't slowed you down, I'm guessing B.

Well that to me just says I've done enough in my 27 years already that I am happy to start a family now. Not that I didn't have anything else planned to do before having a child. To me anything else follows on from this.

you ever see an active volcano?

Do you mean "active" or "erupting"?

Have I seen a volcano? Yes

Have I seen an erupting volcano? No

Have I seen/been near an active volcano that was not erupting at the time? Yes

Have seen/been near an active volcano showing signs it could be getting ready to erupt? Yes, and we weren't much for wanting to stick around too long.

Taal Volcano in the Philippines, volcano in the middle of a lake, one year we were there we wanted to take a boat trip to get a closer look at it but they wouldn't let boats on the lake as water temps had risen which is a sign it could erupt soon. Luckily it didn't but they weren't taking any chances.

I don't see that as being on my "must do" lists though.

Sky dive? No, not done that, again don't see it as essential to my life expereince.

But something similar I guess, Bungee Jump and

? Yes I've done those. Edited by Mokong
Automerged Doublepost

If you have an issue with the thrip and are unable to actually contribute to the thread's topic - or perhaps unable to get past all the long posts and just want to have a whine at me, then you can just PM me.

We're sorting out our thripping policy backstage. Mokong's fine with the thrip, so surely that's all that matters in this instance.

If you have an issue with the thrip and are unable to actually contribute to the thread's topic - or perhaps unable to get past all the long posts and just want to have a whine at me, then you can just PM me.

We're sorting out our thripping policy backstage. Mokong's fine with the thrip, so surely that's all that matters in this instance.

The issue of whether Mokong would have been fine with it should never have even had to come of come up though. Whether he approves or disproves is neither here or there. It's the fact he had to in the first place. That's what matters here.

Just to say that I've replied to that post on Captain Falcon's wall, as an effort to put this thread back on track.

In your opinion, what does it mean to be successful? Is it when you've finally grown that beard? Written that book? Bought that suit? Become the boss? Run your own business? Perhaps being successful is being able to tie your shoelaces, eat your meal with real cutlery or perhaps cross the road? By gosh and by golly, it sure is hard to understand a thread title!

In your opinion, what does it mean to be successful? Is it when you've finally grown that beard? Written that book? Bought that suit? Become the boss? Run your own business? Perhaps being successful is being able to tie your shoelaces, eat your meal with real cutlery or perhaps cross the road? By gosh and by golly, it sure is hard to understand a thread title!

To me, success can be many different things, but I like to think that there's short term success and then long term success. For example, last year, I gave myself a list of goals that I wanted to reach by the same point next year.

They were:

- To get a full time teaching job

- To move out of my parent's home (I moved back in August after finishing uni)

- To get out of Newport/PooPort if I could

- To get a car

- To get out of my overdraft

I achieved all of those, so it was a successful year for me. Although I am now back in the overdraft after buying the car...sheeeet. It might not seem like the most exciting goals, but that's what I want to achieve. I want stability and I think in order for me to achieve "the best times" I need to get the basic stuff right first. I'd love to be able to take Ine to a part of the world that she or I have never been to before, or be able to buy a telescope that we can use so that we can see the stars, but right now we can't achieve those goals without doing all this other stuff first.

Having coached a lot of individuals and helped them in both incremental and larger ways, there are an unlimited array of what could be deemed 'successes'.

As stated earlier, tying your shoe laces can be a success. Remember when you were little and you tied your laces? Now it's not seen as a success in current context.

Life is a little like that no? Perhaps what we deem as successes are only the goals we reached for and achieved.

Food for thought: if the opposite of success is failure and 'failure' is just a way of letting us know that we aren't ready for something yet (or have something to learn), does that mean success is just confirmation we learned something or mastered something?

In this idea it could be said that Mokong talked to and continued to learn about his partner and is now learning to raise a family with her. And now to be a success at parenting they must learn.

Success thus equals (to me and the people I've coached) proof that learning/mastery took place. When you succeed you FEEL good which is just emotional confirmation of learning anyway.

Success is doing what you want, and enjoying it.

If you aren't happy in your life, then you're failing.

Money and possessions aren't a measure of success, loving what you do is more important than the sum of your belongings. I'd even go as far as to say that the more you're worth the potential for unhappiness grows exponentially, you attract free loaders and gold diggers, rather than people who want to know you for yourself, and that never ends well.

I'd much rather be happy with good friends and poor than be rich and surrounded by free loading wankers. That's far more successful in my book.

What are people's views on success then? I mean, what would make you say "I was successful because...". What are your goals?

I think for me it currently would be:

- learning to drive, I've delayed it for way too long

- finally finishing education and getting my teacher degree

- maybe finding a job in a school

- getting my art portfolio together

- getting a job as an illustrator (my main goal)

- moving out and living on my own

- travel to different places in the world

These are some of my current goals. They may not seem like much, but for me they mean a lot, especially finding a job and moving out. It's about time I start living on my own I think.

No, perhaps a poor choice in wording there, it was more congratulation Mokong for doing something they wanted to/made them happy! Just because I don't believe having a child/marriage a good thing doesn't mean other people shouldn't be happy to do so and want to do so. I apologise for my poor sentence there! edit: Besides I have no clue about Mokong's life! So that'd be very silly indeed to insult them so.

Besides success is and always has been subjective, my life is grittled at because I do not want children or a husband, others get the same for the opposite. It is the way of the world, not everyone is going to have the same view.

..and also success is the wrong word, success is to me like winning a trophy and Mokong isn't a competitor! He is a husband and father. :bowdown: and for that it should be deemed as only the best of things, just like not having a child and a husband/wife with a good life should be, neither are the same, but they seem very different right now and for that I am happy, because it means I can be just as happy not having a child or being a wife. Because yes it is something I wish I could think about having, but for various reasons I don't ever want to mention I don't see that happening!

I felt I had to come here and justify myself to you when I quite frankly only joined in the debate about whether one ''should or should not have children'' as it is and always will be a something that irks me, I never see myself having a child, a family, for that I do get questions, people doubting my life. So I joined in the debate.

I hope dannyboy - that answers your questions. :bowdown:

Reading your reply made me look back at my own post and realise that it, too, was worded badly and didn't convey what I intended.

I never thought you were questioning Mokong's life, nor do I in any way question yours. I admire the life ideals of you both. :)

I simply meant that it sounded like you measured success by how likely you thought it was for you to achieve - as if you were calling yourself chronically unsuccessful! I didn't really believe this was the case, but I wanted to check nonetheless. :) And then I came off as questioning your life ideals and/or accusing you of looking down on Mokong's! :(

I guess success for me is when I can put my hand on my heart and say "right, I'm exactly where I want to be, now I can relax and enjoy it".

The dream job, nice house, fast car, loving wife, beautiful kids, proud parents, exotic holidays are a few of thing is would like to "get" (get sound like the wrong word yet I don't feel achieve is any better) at some point.

Nice house, exotic hols and fast car probably come as a result of the dream job. Whereas the beautiful kids come from the loving wife. I know the non materialistic items would bring me greater joy than the credit card swallowing ones but it still doesn't mean I wouldn't like them.

Right now, I'm a student without employment, single, living in halls when I'm not at my parents place, driving a 1.1L car and I don't own a passport.

So in that regard, I'm a mile off achieving anything on that list and given I'm not getting any younger, it doesn't look too rosy.

But hopefully, when I finish my time at uni, I can get that dream job and then start the spending spree. And whilst the odds of her being "the one" are slim, there is a girl that I like who likes me too and we are slowly exploring the idea of a future so maybe there is room for hope there too.

I think Zapp Brannigan said it best with "If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate!"

Hopefully, it will only take achieving two goals to make the rest naturally follow.

The question I have to ask is will I consider myself successful if I don't get all those things. And then I have to look at what I put into my life. Did I do everything I could to reach such targets. If I did everything I possibly could but didn't get what I set out for, have I failed? Surely if I did everything I could, I lived my life to it's maximum potential and in that way, not achieving them wouldn't be failure - it would be inevitability.

It would also be nice to leave a legacy of some kind but how outside of their children, how many people ever really manage that.

Edited by Captain Falcon

Gah, this thread (or thrip) has actually angered me - Mokong has just had a kid, which is excellent news and some of you feel the need to piss on his parade! He's just been through what is undoubtedly the most emotional year of his life as well, shame on you, you jerks.

And I hate how people feel the need to measure success by measuring it against everyone else. Success is a personal thing, and provided that you've achieved what you want to or are at least on the way to achieving it, then that's all that matters. I've had friends who have turned around to me in the past and told me that I'm "the worst-off in life at the moment" for not being able to do this, or not having that. They are clearly not very good friends (funnily enough, the people who said that aren't actually friends anymore), if all they do is use me as a comparison board for their own miserable lives.

I measure success against my own personal goals and standards, not someone else's. I suggest you all do the same too!

Okay, haven't been around for a few days, comin back home for christmas and going to see the missus first and all, sorry for the late replies, but better late than ever, right?

I'm sorry Eenuh but it's difficult not to take something like that personal when his name has been brought up directly and then he's accused of "failing at life".

I'm not accusing him of failing at life, come on... I'm just saying, if I was in his situation, I'd consider myself to be failing. Sorry if it's harsh, but I'm honest in my opinions. And this is just an opinion, there's no ultimate answer as to what success is, as long as you yourself feel accomplished, right?

It's blatantly obvious that becoming a father is a big achievement. To say anything else is overanalysing for the sake of it.

No and no. In order to be a big achievement, it must be unnusual. Climbing the everest is a big achievement... doing what 75% of males will eventually do... is an occasion, a tiny achievement.

What will be an achievement, however, is in 20 years time when we check to see if he's raised a good man. If he managed that, then yes, it will be a big achievement. And I'm not overanalysing it, it's just obvious, as I see it.

To have something to add to the discussion: The argument that someone made - that anyone can be a father - is laughable. Anyone can impregnate a woman, but raising a child in a stable environment is a much harder task.

This. In a nutshell. He said it. And what's bugging me is that he hasn't done that... YET. I'm not saying he won't, hell... I EXPECT him to raise the kid well, but as of yet, I don't think it's anything praiseworthy.

One more thing: From my time here, I've grown accustomed to Oxi_Waste's attitude, but those who haven't will be understandably pissed. He words his opinions as if they were fact (and I am still not sure if he subconsciously believes that), which makes him sound like an asshole. But you really shouldn't take what he says personally, or else you'll pop a blood vessel.

Na, I tend to make a huge distinction between opinion and fact, actually. It kept popping up in the film/music thread when people defended something as good just because they liked it... I never try to defend anything that's shit even if I love it. (It's that whole "I absolutely love Dragon Ball, but factually, it isn't that good" thing or anything similar) I'm quite impartiall, actually!

And in this thread, all I said is pure opinion, no facts here, nor have I ever claimed there were. :P

I agree completely with this. Oxygen, it did come across as quite an arrogant post. Maybe you should re-read your posts sometimes and think about how your words may sound.

Never compromise! Always say what I mean... brutal honesty is the way to go! :grin:

Oxygen, just out of curiosity, what would you say you've done that has made your life a success. Not a trick question or me having a go, but I think it's very easy for you to sit there and slate somebody else's life. It's very easy to criticise.

Me? Nothing. I've finished everything I started and done it well. I'll be finishing my educationn next year, but I don't think any of what I've done so far has made my life a success, yet. So far, I'm just another brick in the wall. But apart from the marriage and kid part, I've lead somewhat the same route mokong's lead (and most of us have, it seems), except I went straight to uni, I didn't pause between high shcool and uni.

Never compromise! Always say what I mean... brutal honesty is the way to go! :grin:

Also, aren't you yourself just creating another "order" by saying that Mokong should be doing this or that whilst at the same time pointing out what you think society dictates us to do. Mokong probably doesn't do what "society wants" or even what "you want." He's done what he has wanted. And, I think he's been very successful at that. If he's set a marker for himself and has got to that point, then surely he has been successful in that?

You're all overthinking it. I was just defending what I think amounts too succes. I never meant that everyone should think like me, I'm just arguing for my point.

Made it seem very personal.

Sorry. It wasn't supposed to be and I didn't intend it to seem like a personal attack. Sincere apologies, Moko!

I'm sorry when you talk about "achieving more" I thought you meant money wise, I made a good living in my previous job, currently in the job hunting market thanks to the recession, but I know I will find something of similar or greater value wage wise. Just cause it's not going to bother me if I can't get "more" doesn't mean I won't still try. But money isn't the end all or be all of the world to me.

We completely agree, on this point.

I don't get this part, sounds like your saying children are a punishment of life when you use "consequence". Obviously it's different for some, but for me family is a very important thing, central if you will, and being able to start my own is part of life not just something to add excitement or pour energy into.

When I say consequence, I mean that, personally, I think children must be earned through life experience. I don't think people should have kids until they've "lived" enough... nor do I think children should be the main goal in anyone's exitance, but that's another debate. Does that make sense?

Maybe I didn't go into as much detail. There were other exams during the year that were taken into account too... it was just the final exams and overall grading I was waiting for. I had my CV out there, I did have other offers, it just so happened where I did my work expereince offered me a better starting wage. And I take it as a positive that after only just doing work expereince there that they saw potential in me to be a good asset for them.

Before they even hired me full time they offered me part work that invovled a lot of responsibility, helping organise and accompany a local pilgrimage to Lourdes.

I enjoyed the work I did before being offered full time, I liked working with the staff there and I was familiar with their set up. Plus offering me more than my other potentials, I don't view that as "settling".

To me settling would have been if I stayed in any of my previous jobs before that one.

Well, as long as you're happy with it, it's all good, I guess.

Still, I would've waited for other offers before taking that one. Just in case.

The "true meaning of travel" can be different to different people, there is no "true meaning" really. Don't get what you mean by plastic dome though, unless it's a meseum I've never viewed a destination through a plactic dome or glass wall. The backpacking thing was never my kind of thing, fair play to you though for the 2 years. I know a lot of people who've gone for a year to Australia, while I do plan to visit some places in Oz they year travel thing doesn't appeal to me. But if you want to talk about "roughing it", I can assure you I've done plenty of that over the years. Usually with a bamboo bed and no mattress or blankets or concret floors with not but a small pillow. As for bringing my child, you misunderstood me. I wouldn't bring him sightseeing to different places now, he's too small and won;t remember anything. Of course I meant when he's a bit older. He will be travelling to the Philippines in a few months though to visit his grandparents there but we're not planning any island hopping trips this time.

The plastic dome thing is pretty much a metaphor for the fact that most people visit places and never really "see" them. They just visit the places and don't stick around to understand them as a fraction of a whole. You know, that whole "every place has a feel to it" thing...

You see, that's slowing yo down. You can't go on many types of trips now because of him... my bros are 14 and it's a nightmare going anywhere with them! Let's be honest, family trips are a negative thing for most kids.

I don't see how it being many islands would stop you, Manila is great but there are better places outside of it and on other islands. Domestic flights are usually not that expensive or you can get a ferry. If you're thinking of it the Philippines is a great backpacking destination, I highly recommend it.

When I worked in the travel agents, I had a client go there last year and he's going back next year to see other parts he missed out on first time.

The downside with it being an island is that I'll cost me a lot more to get there and get out. I like traveling in "groups". I visit 5 or 6 countries that are near each other at a time and it costs me the same as it would if I visited 2 of them separately... and with the Ph's, the fact that it's an island is an obstacle, for me. But I'd still love to go there.

The only thing I've given up is a good nights sleep, haha.

Though I rarely got a good nights sleep before anyway.

Well that to me just says I've done enough in my 27 years already that I am happy to start a family now. Not that I didn't have anything else planned to do before having a child. To me anything else follows on from this.

Time will tell! :heh: (half joking)

Do you mean "active" or "erupting"?

Have I seen a volcano? Yes

Have I seen an erupting volcano? No

Have I seen/been near an active volcano that was not erupting at the time? Yes

Have seen/been near an active volcano showing signs it could be getting ready to erupt? Yes, and we weren't much for wanting to stick around too long.

Taal Volcano in the Philippines, volcano in the middle of a lake, one year we were there we wanted to take a boat trip to get a closer look at it but they wouldn't let boats on the lake as water temps had risen which is a sign it could erupt soon. Luckily it didn't but they weren't taking any chances.

I don't see that as being on my "must do" lists though.

Holy fucking shit, you're a king!!! I meant the volcano as a metaphor for the extreme, but you've actually been at a volcano? Oh shit, that must've been awesome!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

+1!

Sky dive? No, not done that, again don't see it as essential to my life expereince.

But something similar I guess, Bungee Jump and

? Yes I've done those.

Never glided, but come on, BJ is awesome, isn't it? (no jokes about blowjobs, k?) :D SDing is better, though!

___

I don't think I need to add anything about what I think amounts to success, do I?

Na, I tend to make a huge distinction between opinion and fact, actually. It kept popping up in the film/music thread when people defended something as good just because they liked it... I never try to defend anything that's shit even if I love it. (It's that whole "I absolutely love Dragon Ball, but factually, it isn't that good" thing or anything similar) I'm quite impartiall, actually!

And in this thread, all I said is pure opinion, no facts here, nor have I ever claimed there were. :P

1. You don't need to believe your opinion is factual for it to come across as such. It can be as simple as others perceiving you to be talking in an excessive "I know I'm right" tone. Just saying.

I never try to defend anything that's shit even if I love it. (It's that whole "I absolutely love Dragon Ball, but factually, it isn't that good" thing or anything similar)

2. You're doing it again :heh: How is "Dragon Ball is not good" a fact? It's a light hearted action series, and does a pretty good job at being what it is. What, exactly, makes something "factually shit"?

Sorry for the off-topic.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!