Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

What Have You Bought?

Ashley

Concert tickets, to compensate for the fact North Sea Jazz sold out:

- Imam Baildi (some Greek band I've never heard of, but it sounded good, and I was in a experimental mood. Plus the singer is absolutely gorgeous).

- Roy Ayers (the legend)

- Jessy Lanza (I've been hearing her on the radio. I love her stuff)

- Nicola Conte (I've heard of him, I actually have something of him on vinyl, but I'm not too familiar with his stuff, but it's definitely my style).

Probably going to check some other concerts / festivals though.

Camera stuff:

- A few roll films for my dad's old camera.. Well it's basically my camera now.

- A very specialized battery adapter for that camera (they don't make the batteries anymore that the camera uses).

- A Metabones Canon FD to MFT adapter, to use the FD lenses I have available on a Blackmagic Pocket camera.

- A 128GB Sandisk extreme pro SD card.

So.. So now it's time to go out there and shoot stuff.

PxBiXOR.jpg

Found out a few days ago there's a way to purchase the gwent decks even if you bought expansions digitally. A simpe screen capture of my transaction history worked as proof of purchase and two days later I get an e-mail with a code that allows me to buy both Blood and Wine and Hearts of Stone gwent decks. Think they are due shipped at end of May. 27 euros, including shipping.

You can do it here: http://redeemgwent.com/

406655_nds_a.png

Dont know whats going on with this 3DS I bought on Amazon. The price had gone down the day before I bought it so I figured I'd grab it at the cheaper price. Since I bought it though its had a daily price reduction. I understand missing out on a deal but this just seems really weird. I've sent a complaint email to Amazon about it, see if they'll offer me a bit of a refund.

Not really a purchase, but I got myself my first ever credit card, at the age of 29.

Can't wait to max it out while shopping at the mall and have Daddy come and bail me out.

What type of card? I actually think credit cards are great when used properly. I've got four. One I started with, just to get my credit rating up, a normal one. Should close that. A Post Office Platinum card, because you can buy things abroad and you don't get charged any exchange rate. A Tesco Clubcard credit card, because it was 0% interest on purchases for 26 months and you get extra clubcard points for spends in store and elsewhere (but fewer than you used to).

Most recently got a Virgin Money credit card, 30 months 0% finance money transfer, they literally just put £3k into my current account, small charge (1.59%) and then give me 30 months to pay it back. The wonders you can get with a decent credit rating.

As soon as my house purchase is out of the way, I'll be getting another one, Sainsburys 0% purchases card.

As long as you pay the balance off in full monthly and are sensible, or on a 0% card at least pay off the minimum (set up a direct debit), they are very useful.

I got a Clarity Card from Halifax, since they offer 0% on transactions abroad. I got it so I could pay for stuff when I'm in Canada (car hire seem only to accept credit cards anyway), and not have to worry about taking loads of cash.

I can't imagine I'll use it much after my holiday though. Does anyone know if you get penalised for having a credit card that you don't use? It seems unlikely, but everything about credit cards and ratings seems bizarre.

Image isn't loading for me @Ashley :( Where you off now? As someone who hasn't been on holiday in 2 years, I'll probably be jealous no matter what it is.

I got a Clarity Card from Halifax, since they offer 0% on transactions abroad. I got it so I could pay for stuff when I'm in Canada (car hire seem only to accept credit cards anyway), and not have to worry about taking loads of cash.

I can't imagine I'll use it much after my holiday though. Does anyone know if you get penalised for having a credit card that you don't use? It seems unlikely, but everything about credit cards and ratings seems bizarre.

Good call, that's exactly what my PO card was for. The only issue I did have in Australia was their card readers ask you what kind of account it is, Savings, Checking or Credit and iirc Checking was the right choice. Also, you probably don't need telling this but, make sure you have another way of getting money while you're over there in case the card doesn't work for some reason, you don't want to be using a CC to withdraw cash from an ATM (huge fees).

No you don't get penalised for not using it. Having several fairly young credit accounts has a minor negative effect on your overall rating, so after a few months of non-use it will actually be better than it is now.

I have occasionally used my PO card other than abroad, for ordering imports online, since you won't have to pay a transaction fee (usually your bank will charge you a flat fee or paypal's conversion rate will not be as good as it is with the card).

Edited by Shorty

Image isn't loading for me @Ashley :( Where you off now? As someone who hasn't been on holiday in 2 years, I'll probably be jealous no matter what it is.

Tried changing the image. Lisbon between 7th-11th June.

Don't forget you have recently bought a bike and a house. I won't have those things so I'm buggering off a lot instead ;)

Good call, that's exactly what my PO card was for. The only issue I did have in Australia was their card readers ask you what kind of account it is, Savings, Checking or Credit and iirc Checking was the right choice. Also, you probably don't need telling this but, make sure you have another way of getting money while you're over there in case the card doesn't work for some reason, you don't want to be using a CC to withdraw cash from an ATM (huge fees).

No you don't get penalised for not using it. Having several fairly young credit accounts has a minor negative effect on your overall rating, so after a few months of non-use it will actually be better than it is now.

I have occasionally used my PO card other than abroad, for ordering imports online, since you won't have to pay a transaction fee (usually your bank will charge you a flat fee or paypal's conversion rate will not be as good as it is with the card).

Yeah I'll be taking a fair amount of cash anyway, and I can always use my debit card and swallow the one off fee for doing so. Fingers crossed it does work though, it's always a bit of a stress having to take wallets full of cash out each day to pay for everything when on holiday.

A Good Tip.

Yeah I normally split everything up and hide it in various pockets, bags and socks. And check everything obsessively every few minutes. And keep an eye on every shifty looking person.

Yeah same, got a Halifax clarity a few months ago. The best card for going abroad I think. Was incredibly useful in Japan (great for drawing out cash over there too since you can pay off interest right away online). Contrary to popular belief, withdrawing cash abroad with this card is much more cost effective than exchanging money in this country beforehand. Good to have some cash as a backup though.

Edited by Sheikah

After I didn't have time to play video games at all for two weeks, I went completely insane and bought all of these games within the span of a week:

Video%20games%20May%202016_zpsy8eupoiw.png

I genuinely don't think I've bought that many games over a period of about three months before. Have fun!:)

Just bought train tickets.. It's been too long since I've been out of the country.

1,5 day in Paris, then 3 days Marseille..

I don't know how much of use this is to you UK people, but the Thalys had a sale because of their 20th anniversary.. A lot of tickets (to all destinations) were € 20,-. You still have a few hours to make use of it. If you can get to Paris for cheap, you can go to destinations like Antwerpen, Amsterdam, or Köln for an additional € 20,-.