N-Europe

Being skint...it sucks!

flameboy

so a few months back I flew the nest and moved out....couple this with trying to sustain a long distance relationship to Canada (so saving for flights etc...and alost about to start saving for residence application for moving over) I've found myself being uber skint. I've got spreadsheets and alsorts trying to best balance the books...yet next month after bills etc....I have just £15 to live off for food... madness...however it is doable I guess...I've started to come up with cheap recipes for stuff etc...

anyone else in a similar poorness situation?

Definitely.

Last term I stupidly spent all my student loan, mostly because I'd never had that much money before (in first year I had half of what I got for last term). So I spent it all I now have £20 to last until the 20th, which isn't too bad when I'm not really going anywhere.

I do dream of the days when I have a full time job to support myself. Sigh.

I do dream of the days when I have a full time job to support myself. Sigh.

Sometimes

I would rather be skint

Sell all my games consoles so I don't need to fuel such an expensive hobby

Sell my car and buy a couple of bikes

And not have my full time job.

I once had to last a week and a bit at uni on £10. 8p Noodles saved my life.

I know this lifestyle all too well. Glad those times are behind me.

Saying that my cousin is now at uni and he claims to always skint. He hasn't really put 2 & 2 together and come to the realisation it's down to all the steak he keeps buying.

Felt the pinch alot this year with moving with my girlfriend.

I'm determined to still put £200 a month into my ISA despite our bills, and i'm still plowing £65 into my Pension.

i've owed my mum and dad money all year, been paying them off £100 a month.

i now only owe my mum £170 and my dad £80, so i've slowed the repayments down to £50 a month.

but i'm an idiot and decided that now i had a little extra to myself to buy stuff for myself (halo reach, couple of retro nes / master system games, some dvd's)..... so yeah i'm now out of pocket again :sad:

Sometimes

I would rather be skint

Sell all my games consoles so I don't need to fuel such an expensive hobby

Sell my car and buy a couple of bikes

And not have my full time job.

I think eventually when I do have a full-time job, I will be saying this, hopefully if I get into 3d modelling professional I'll be happy and earning lots of money.

one day..

I knew the feeling, always kinda counting the pennies towards the end of the month. Not anymore though, starting being more frugal with my money and it just kinda built up without me noticing. I'm no way well off but I've enough that I don't really have to think twice about buying most things (Read: not houses).

I've learned to always have some money saved somewhere for an "emergency", that was after i learned the hard-way that money is needed for life. I did scrape by a few times in my earlier years, namely when i had £50 to last a month (that was before house-keep and stuff). Usually had £20 to last.

I've learned to always have some money saved somewhere for an "emergency", that was after i learned the hard-way that money is needed for life. I did scrape by a few times in my earlier years, namely when i had £50 to last a month (that was before house-keep and stuff). Usually had £20 to last.

Yeah I mean I'm very much living with no chance of saving. I did have savings but at some point decided it wasn't worth all that keeping them as was living with my parents, So I spent savings on a HDTV a PS3 and in the end towards my travelling to South Africa. I kinda never recovered from that. Like I said after rent, bills, council tax etc...I'm left with £15 for food! I wanted to get a love film subscription but can't see that happen anytime soon.

My only saving grace and the thing I take solace in is that within a year to 2 years I hope to be far more financially stable and that will set me in good stead for a clean start in Canada with my girlfriend.

That's before you smoke it I assume? :p

That aside - you've lived on little before Jay, surely there's some tips you can pass on?

Ha :) I don't smoke weed anymore, btw!

When times are rough, learn to cook. It's ridiculous how much you can save by having a decently stocked cupboard. Yes, it may take you an hour to cook dinner, but if it saves you £3-4 then it's worth it.

I don't really have any other tips. When I was really poor I still bought cider most nights, and smoked rolled cigarettes. I refrained from buying games more than £20, didn't go clubbing, walked everywhere, read teh books I had rather than buying new ones.

When I had my student loan I did all sorts of over-spending that put me in the trouble I was in -- including spending over £270 on an xbox because it was red, so I certainly can't fault others from having their luxuries.

But yeah -- investing £20 in herbs and spices and tins of chopped tomatoes, chick-peas, coconut milk, tuna, ratatouille and pasta meant I avoided buying pasta sauces for the sake of an extra 5 minutes of chopping time. When I had £15 to last a month (including fare to work, so I always had to borrow £20 off a mate anyway) I was alright for food - though I did essentially cut down to a meal and a half a day. Because I bought cider, for calory intake.

I think we always have costs we can cut out, but until we're so fucking poor we don't bother, and often by then it's too late, even cutting those things out doesn't do enough.

Long lost of little interest.

Ha :) I don't smoke weed anymore, btw!

When times are rough, learn to cook. It's ridiculous how much you can save by having a decently stocked cupboard. Yes, it may take you an hour to cook dinner, but if it saves you £3-4 then it's worth it.

I don't really have any other tips. When I was really poor I still bought cider most nights, and smoked rolled cigarettes. I refrained from buying games more than £20, didn't go clubbing, walked everywhere, read teh books I had rather than buying new ones.

When I had my student loan I did all sorts of over-spending that put me in the trouble I was in -- including spending over £270 on an xbox because it was red, so I certainly can't fault others from having their luxuries.

But yeah -- investing £20 in herbs and spices and tins of chopped tomatoes, chick-peas, coconut milk, tuna, ratatouille and pasta meant I avoided buying pasta sauces for the sake of an extra 5 minutes of chopping time. When I had £15 to last a month (including fare to work, so I always had to borrow £20 off a mate anyway) I was alright for food - though I did essentially cut down to a meal and a half a day. Because I bought cider, for calory intake.

I think we always have costs we can cut out, but until we're so fucking poor we don't bother, and often by then it's too late, even cutting those things out doesn't do enough.

Long lost of little interest.

yeah my cupboard is well stocked its the best tip for saving money. I often find you can make stuff just as good as branded stuff.

I've just come out of a really horrible feud with my bank regarding them being cunts and removing my Student overdraft with only a month's notice. For the next 18 months I'll be paying the bank £55 a month in order to clear the overdraft, so I'm going to have to ensure I have the money in my account on collection date. It seems really weird to be paying off a debt in such a way, and actually quite horrible. As if I've taken my first step on the long road of debt and money problems. It feels awful and I wish I didn't have to deal with it.

Welcome to the real world, kiddo, I suppose..

I've just come out of a really horrible feud with my bank regarding them being cunts and removing my Student overdraft with only a month's notice. For the next 18 months I'll be paying the bank £55 a month in order to clear the overdraft, so I'm going to have to ensure I have the money in my account on collection date. It seems really weird to be paying off a debt in such a way, and actually quite horrible. As if I've taken my first step on the long road of debt and money problems. It feels awful and I wish I didn't have to deal with it.

Welcome to the real world, kiddo, I suppose..

thats exactly what I'm doing to clear my credit cards....as you say welcome to the real world.