N-Europe

Headphones - Cans or Buds?

Cube

What is better?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. What is better?

• Buds
    • Cans
    • Are we talking weed and booze here? Wtf?

Wow, you're a douche. I really, really can't stand people who have their music loud enough for me to hear when they're using head/earphones. If anything, just being able to here the hint of the bass is much, much more irritating than people playing music loud on their phone.

It's extremely hard to find the correct volume as you have no idea how loud it is to other people. I play music at a volume that's right for me (which is loud in my ears). If anyone has a problem with the volume I'm playing my music at all they have to do is ask me to turn it down.

There's this thing called a volume switch on most mp3 players and phones these days, I'm told...

"

It's extremely hard to find the correct volume as you have no idea how loud it is to other people. I play music at a volume that's right for me (which is loud in my ears). If anyone has a problem with the volume I'm playing my music at all they have to do is ask me to turn it down.

Tada!

In all honesty I don't want to sit and re-adjust my volume for every single song, besides I spend about 5 minutes on a bus at most. Psh!

It's pretty easy - if a song comes on that seems considerably louder than the previous one, pop your ear phones out momentarily, and see if you can hear them when they're a few inches from you ear. If you can hear it, turn it down a wee bit. It doesn't take much effort to not be really anti-social.

Fish, you may have had loud music on without knowing. Sometimes it's just the bass getting out or the headphones being particularly crap at keeping the sound just into your ears (like mine =/)

Nope, I check how loud my earphones are. It's not the world's most strenuous activity, and that's why it annoys me when people consider others.

Your headphones will never annoy others if they're around normal loudness, regardless of track changes. If you can 'accidentally' annoy others through change in track then your headphones must be loud to begin with.

It's really annoying to hear the sound from people's headphones blasting out. Although not quite as annoying as chavs with poor quality phones playing rap music from their tinny phone speaker.

Your headphones will never annoy others if they're around normal loudness, regardless of track changes. If you can 'accidentally' annoy others through change in track then your headphones must be loud to begin with.

It's really annoying to hear the sound from people's headphones blasting out. Although not quite as annoying as chavs with poor quality phones playing rap music from their tinny phone speaker.

Agreed. At the end of the day, if their music is loud, it's them that's going to end up deaf when they are 40/50!

And it really ...worries me when people walk around town with the music too loud. One day they wont hear a car coming out of nowhere when they cross the road.

The loud car music doesn't annoy me as much because most of them are away before it can bug you too much. =P I do however detest sitting in with someone who insists on having their music at a deafening volume... My poor ears :angry::angry::angry::angry:

I find on public transport if I don't tune things out I get incredibly restless and paranoid, without music I probably wouldn't be able to sit near anyone.

This is more likely directed generally at me rather than it being an excuse for everyone, but you'd be surprised how loud music has to go to drown out somebody talking.

Although I always check that I'm on a bus/train that allows music, if there are signs for no music/phones I won't use them at all and force myself to put up with it.

Unless it's a really terrible song, I don't see the problem with hearing someone else's music....To bad the general populace has poor taste in everything.

The real solution is to just play your own music and not have to deal with any other music. It's win-win.

Which is why I always take my earphones out for two seconds to hear if it's audible outside my ears. That way you know if it's too loud. Still, it's actually not something that bothers me all that much, being able to hear other people's MP3 players. I mostly just worry about their ears.

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

The problem isn't always going to be volume- Shit headphones will leak sound whatever you do. Buy a decent pair with noise reduction and you're golden.

Have you ever found a pair that go in your ear that block all sound? I've found over the head ones but I hate them..:weep:

I don't even get why you need to be able to drown out all other sounds when listening to music... That way you're just completely unaware of what's happening around you (can't hear cars coming and all that).

When I listen to music, I have the volume really low, so that it's more like background music and I can still hear what's going on around me. I just find it very anti-social when people have their music playing way too loud. It -does- bother other people.

I think you can get in ear ones that 'aim' sound directly in to your ears (rather than just being speakers that fit in your ears) but I'm not sure what they're called.

I always used cans.

Hmm if you remember let me know, I use gummy ones at the moment (having a double tragus piercing makes things tricky) they tend to be comfortable, not the best for sound, but keeps it to a minimum at loud volumes.

Eenuh - I tend to find most people will take an earplug out as they cross the road, mostly I find it's easy for me to not do that because there's so many crossroads here in sheffield, I just wait for the green man.

I like both, cans are a bit of a nuisance to travel with, but they do deliver superior sound (god I love my Sennheiser cans)

little earbuds/earphones are handy to have when you travel a lot... I personally really dislike those rubber inner ear things, i would go for the more traditional plastic ones.

I disagree. I think sound through earbuds are excellent. Plus they're more handy than big headphones.

They are convenient but are in no way better. It's like how tapes were more convenient than records but sounded worse

I agree though I wouldn't be caught dead wearing headphones outside :D

Edited by mcj metroid

They are convenient but are in no way better. It's like how tapes were more convenient than records but sounded worse

I agree though I wouldn't be caught dead wearing headphones outside :D

Well, I just think headphones are less practical, that's the main factor. :heh: The sound quality of earbuds is easily great enough for me to outweigh the impracticality of headphones.

My heeeaaaadphooneesssss.....

I really like my headphones, they don't block out all sound but I wouldn't want them to. I'm clumsy enough as it is, I need to hear the cars coming. It even fits quite nicely with some tracks, like Autobahn :heh:

- Not so keen on earbuds. Often have problems with them falling out of my ears and the like, or the sound just generally being shit/not as good (yes, even with those overrated CX500s)

Edited by ipaul

Headphones. There is no contest.

Like most things, the more expensive the better. There's no point talking about sound quality unless you have had a good pair, because you will honestly have no idea what you are talking about.