N-Europe

Experimental thread lock

Mr_Odwin

We are listening to you
stop asking us.
We cannot be reasoned with
we are trying to be polite.

I feel that.

The more you go on about it, the longer we will take and the less you will be grateful.

Looking forward to it.

We're all repeating ourselves! You are saying you're pretty happy with it but thread [x] should be back. We are saying the experiment is not over, things are slowly being discussed backstage, be more creative in the mean-time.

It's not as if certain threads could be allowed as part of the experiment. One could assume experiment might imply adaptation. But obviously anything people may suggest is being listened to as you said, just not caring what they say. What a system.

Don't worry, here's something special for everyone. Lock this thread like you did with all the others. Then you wouldn't get all these suggestions you're just ignoring (After listening to) and the current "experiment" will end/new one begin sooner and we can all be more "grateful". Genius. Assuming you go out on a limb and take notice of this.

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh I read the replies and considered them before drawing my conclusions.

Name several photo thread themes and prove me wrong.

I don't get what you're asking/implying... That there's only been one photo-related thread since this all started? Who's fault is that? The UIG would go weeks, months without any such funsies. I don't get what your point is, here...

I'm suggesting that the mega threads, such as UIG, can be replicated in parts in such a way that you trim the excess that nobody gives a shit about, such as That Night You Went Out And Got Drunk (I'm sure I said that already) and skip to the fun bits. That only one attempt has been made at such a thread does not prove that the UIG is better, it just proves that users can't be arsed.

No I asked this general question:

I also still think the forum looks a bit cluttered. Once again the music threads come to mind. Is there any thought yet on if this may change after the experiment or is it just something you guys are resigned to the fact will happen?

Ah!

Yes! I see. Sorry. Yes, we're deliberating about what to do next. The experiment is not the end of change, it is to assess the weight of favoured discussions and to consider a subforum thing. I initially thought we'd covered this in previous pages in regards to potential sub-foruming some stuff, but looking back I see there was no 'official' voice, just other people saying what I, at least, thought on the matter.

We don't want to go promising that things will go this way or that because we don't feel like we've seen enough of the life without the old massive threads, and personally I don't think I've seen enough creativity yet.

Also I wasnt asking for threads back. Id waited for a while and was stating how I thought the experiment was going and which things I felt were missing still. Thats not asking for things, thats commenting on your experiment which is what this thread is for.

I guess part of my response was just general annoyance at the fact that this thread was still getting responses... not aimed at you, just the general thing, that "I get it" feeling washes over me whenever I read up on this thread and it just angers me - I forget that you guys are a bit clueless about what's being done about it, but I can't go making promises for anyone while we're still weighing our options up.

It's not as if certain threads could be allowed as part of the experiment.

I don't know what you mean. Can you say this bit again but so that I can understand, please?

One could assume experiment might imply adaptation.
Experiment does not demand adaptation... But you're not being pedantic here, you're just assuming things and trying to incite some sort of... response... Which is here!

But obviously anything people may suggest is being listened to as you said, just not caring what they say.
Well actually, it's more that anything anyone is saying here is also being echoed ahead of time by us lot in the background, only we're actually trying to be more productive than you (specifically you when I say that, Murray, as others aren't trying to incite anger/pity).

What a system.
NO YOU!

Don't worry, here's something special for everyone. Lock this thread like you did with all the others. Then you wouldn't get all these suggestions you're just ignoring (After listening to) and the current "experiment" will end/new one begin sooner and we can all be more "grateful". Genius. Assuming you go out on a limb and take notice of this.

Sorry, didn't read this bit.

I don't know what you mean. Can you say this bit again but so that I can understand, please?

What I mean is that this experiment is basically saying "Out with the old. Do new stuff now", with no possibility of compromise of keeping some of the older things. Just to see how it goes before the full potential change.

Experiment does not demand adaptation...

I said imply. Not demand.

you're just assuming things and trying to incite some sort of... response... Which is here!

(specifically you when I say that, Murray, as others aren't trying to incite anger/pity).

Now who's assuming. And I can confirm that you assume wrong. I'm not trying to incite anger or pity at all.

Sorry, didn't read this bit.
We are listening to you

It shows. Waddaya think though? Since (I don't believe) it's echoing anything mentioned before.

I'm suggesting that the mega threads, such as UIG, can be replicated in parts in such a way that you trim the excess that nobody gives a shit about, such as That Night You Went Out And Got Drunk (I'm sure I said that already) and skip to the fun bits. That only one attempt has been made at such a thread does not prove that the UIG is better,

Well I enjoy seeing all posts in the user image gallery. And I for one posted in it if I had seen it hadn't had posts for a while. Which is bull anyway, I just checked the last ten pages of the thread and they span about 3-4 weeks, up until it being locked. Thats shit loads of posts.

it just proves that users can't be arsed.

Thats completely ridiculous, and I'm genuinely surprised you're saying that. There are only so many themed photo threads you can get without it being ridiculous. Say you go on holiday and want to post your pics, you'd need to do a holiday snap thread. Bought some new jeans you want to show off...new thread. Its silly. Its really not a subject that demands multi threads. UIG was fine.....but you think its because we can't be bothered? You wouldn't like to see what I can be bothered to do....

......But equally I don't want to get in trouble, so I won't do anything about it. So nuh.

What I mean is that this experiment is basically saying "Out with the old. Do new stuff now", with no possibility of compromise of keeping some of the older things. Just to see how it goes before the full potential change.
The compromise comes later because then it truly combines what we all, hopefully, will feel are the best elements of the old and the new, so I guess in this respect we can say we agree that we're not talking about different things?

I said imply. Not demand.
By putting 'could', 'assume', 'might' and 'imply' in your sentence (and the singular 'one') you were emphasising what exactly? That you're aware that many people will interpret the 'experiment' differently? I took the implication of your statement to be that YOU could assume the implication -- that this was your view, thus you were demanding change because you assume experiments = change. Whether the = is causal, implicate or necessity is irrelevant. Just pedantic nonsense that...

Now who's assuming. And I can confirm that you assume wrong. I'm not trying to incite anger or pity at all.
... leads me to trust your form of dialogue is constructed to be passive-aggressive - Backed up by the well-if-we're-both-hypocrites-then-you're-still-worse rebuttal.

[it shows. Waddaya think though? Since (I don't believe) it's echoing anything mentioned before.

See, here I can't tell if you missed the 'joke' or not. I pretended to not have read it in order to avoid several sentiments that I mentioned previous; that of your attempt to draw reaction through pedantry and lack of context. But you thought I really did ignore you?

Thanks, jayseven. :) While I was a bit annoyed at your previous post, you really do seem (to me, at least) to understand how we feel and what we're saying. (By "we" I mean the general forum population.) I expect we might see other changes later in order to try to fine-tune the forums?

Yep, pretty much!

Well I enjoy seeing all posts in the user image gallery. And I for one posted in it if I had seen it hadn't had posts for a while. Which is bull anyway, I just checked the last ten pages of the thread and they span about 3-4 weeks, up until it being locked. Thats shit loads of posts.

Ok, let me try and calm this down a bit. There are positives and negatives to all of the threads that were locked. Some had more positives than negatives, but in an effort to try and truly see how the forum operates without the massive threads, nigh-on all were locked.

Potential areas of interest that have arisen are; how do newbs feel when faced with a few massive threads vs. loads of little ones? How does the community feel change? Does teh quality of new threads increase? Does the quality of posts decrease? Will people post more or less? What sort of threads are made often? Are some topics neglected with the new style? Are some neglected with the old?

... And so on. If you ask for my personal opinion -- or any mod/admin -- you may get different reactions between them, or between the opinion we hold and the role we hold. I miss several big threads but I respect the decision made and am very excited by how the forum's changed and what the future may hold.

The point we've said several times is this is not permanent. The reasonings behind your individual opinions on the matter is not something I want to tear apart, but I think I'm cornering myself here and opening myself up for a fight rather than a debate.

Thats completely ridiculous, and I'm genuinely surprised you're saying that. There are only so many themed photo threads you can get without it being ridiculous. Say you go on holiday and want to post your pics, you'd need to do a holiday snap thread. Bought some new jeans you want to show off...new thread. Its silly. Its really not a subject that demands multi threads. UIG was fine.....but you think its because we can't be bothered? You wouldn't like to see what I can be bothered to do....

The part of this that I want to concentrate on is the 'subject that demands multi threads'. I'm kind of arguing that the 'subject' the UIG covered, that is, pictures of us, is just one 'tag' the thread really had. It was an amalgamation of a variety of types of subjects in one thread. Again, there are pros and cons to this. Instead of hyperbolic retorts to sections of my posts, give me some recognition of my argument if you want a fair debate. Was the UIG perfect? Can you not name some cons for the big threads?

......But equally I don't want to get in trouble, so I won't do anything about it. So nuh.

Another reason why the 'experiment' isn't over. Inflated thread production doesn't give us a true picture of teh pros and cons, and leads us to future alterations that simply aren't constructive. The forums were, while our home, not perfect by far. It isn't now, either, but it isn't bad enough either, is it?

Edited by jayseven

I think people miss the point that at the moment, we're seeing how the forum works without ANY big threads. It's not supposed to be the new, perfect forum or the way things are going to be forever - it's supposed to rule out the variable "big threads" entirely for a time in order to really highlight the pros and cons of the move. It's a controlled experiment. Later on, I imagine that new and improved experiments will be executed in order to further see what works and what doesn't.

I think people miss the point that at the moment, we're seeing how the forum works without ANY big threads. It's not supposed to be the new, perfect forum or the way things are going to be forever - it's supposed to rule out the variable "big threads" entirely for a time in order to really highlight the pros and cons of the move. It's a controlled experiment. Later on, I imagine that new and improved experiments will be executed in order to further see what works and what doesn't.

I see things as always, differently. I started out dis-liking it all, then i moved into the territory of liking it. It's one of them things to be fair. Have the mods done the right thing with closing all the huge topics?. Yes, there is a buzz around and there are a lot of topics being created to dicuss what-ever people wish to discuss, be it about space or drunks.

I know this isn't the be all and end all of N-E, the mods are working hard and hopefully will find a perfect balance between old and new which will bring peace and harmony* to all on N-E, and hopefully will bring in new members.

Another thing which has crossed my mind several times, and i probably have posted it before is this. Were the huge topics scaring newcomers away, or is this new flux of topics scaring them away with too much choice. Sometimes, and i've seen this to occur as well that new members see all the topics and run off scared.

*Note: These 2 words were used in the most light possible way.

Another thing which has crossed my mind several times, and i probably have posted it before is this. Were the huge topics scaring newcomers away, or is this new flux of topics scaring them away with too much choice. Sometimes, and i've seen this to occur as well that new members see all the topics and run off scared.

My uneducated guess is that this is somewhere about 50/50. I think some people find the bigger threads more inaccessible while others are overwhelmed by the larger amount of active threads.

By putting 'could', 'assume', 'might' and 'imply' in your sentence (and the singular 'one') you were emphasising what exactly?

The lack of demanding.

... leads me to trust your form of dialogue is constructed to be passive-aggressive

As mentioned before. Nothing but happy thoughts.

See, here I can't tell if you missed the 'joke' or not. I pretended to not have read it in order to avoid several sentiments that I mentioned previous; that of your attempt to draw reaction through pedantry and lack of context. But you thought I really did ignore you?

Nah not really. But I won't lie to ye, almost for a second the moment I read it.

I'm surprised that mods are still getting shit for this.

The forum has been so much more lively and interesting than it has been for years.

I've come to recognise so many new people and like so many others that I'd never paid attention to.

It hasnt changed my limp post count but i like coming in here and seeing lots of fresh discussions. The forums are just more attractive now.

I also used to hate when someone would make a specific thread and it would get locked or merged into an 'official' thread. Good riddance to that!

That's not in dispute. It's just that some members like to have kept certain threads. It may go against whatever the master plan is, but what can I say? People fear (some) change.

I wouldn't say I want certain threads back because I don't like change, it's more because it seems like the better thing to do for the forum.

I wouldn't say I want certain threads back because I don't like change, it's more because it seems like the better thing to do for the forum.

Apologies. I didn't mean to say that people dislike change for the sake of weariness of the unknown, naturally people will not be a fan of certain aspects for different reasons. Like you said, you're not a fan of some threads going because you believe things were fine as they were with regards to whatever threads you refer to? I hope I read that right.

Apologies. I didn't mean to say that people dislike change for the sake of weariness of the unknown, naturally people will not be a fan of certain aspects for different reasons. Like you said, you're not a fan of some threads going because you believe things were fine as they were with regards to whatever threads you refer to? I hope I read that right.

Indeed, I personally am in favour of the way things used to be, but for the sake of it attracting more members and being more of a community it seems maybe having a balance of the two is best.

I'm not sure why but I havn't been here the past few days. I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the new system or not but coming back seems easier to do than before. I've read the posts I missed here and I think people are just frustrated as to not being let in on how you (the mod team) think the experiment is going and potential changes you think might work. I also agree that UIG and PYP should be brought back but that's it. There is no need for seperate threads for every type of photo theme, types of stuff bought etc and they were popular threads that spawned thoughts. I don't understand why there's such hostility over re-opening these two threads.

Whilst I think these changes have been pretty good for the most part... the board certainly seems a lot quieter in the late evenings (like now)... with only a couple of threads recieving any activity... where as it always seemed pretty busy before?

I've noticed that as well, usually i've seen it to be a bit busier right up until 1am, then quietens down to a hush by around 2am. Now, it seems to be a few hours earlier for the quietness to occur.

I don't think we should go blaming all changes to activity on the change. We are in the midst of the summer whereby people go on holiday, students no longer are going out and returning and drunk posting etc etc. I know my routine has changed and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

Whilst I think these changes have been pretty good for the most part... the board certainly seems a lot quieter in the late evenings (like now)... with only a couple of threads recieving any activity... where as it always seemed pretty busy before?

It has been quieter, but I'm tempted to agree with Ashley on this. It'll get busier again. Also, I think most threads get created in the daytime? So, by the time the night comes around, most people have already read the replies and stuff.

What we need is...A night crew, to make threads during the early hours, to keep us owls entertained. :p