N-Europe

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Retro_Link

• Replies 874
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't wait for this beauty.. 2 player at once apprantly!!! Awesome

Yeah just read about that over at GoNintendo. Here's the details.

A New Country for Old Friends

Controlled by a group of evil Tikis, the animals in Donkey Kong Island have raided Donkey Kong's Banana Hoard and stolen his stash of bananas - and he understandably wants them back. Retro Studios brings Donkey Kongâ„¢ back in a new side-scrolling adventure with familiar characters and new levels that reignite the passion players had for the Super NESâ„¢ original.

FEATURES:

• Retro Studios faithfully restores everything that made the original series great, from barrel cannons to mine carts, and then builds on those elements with stunning graphics and new layers of depth to the world and game play. The game offers

the traditional side-scrolling experience everyone loved, but with levels created in fully rendered 3-D environments.

• Diddy Kong™ joins the quest. With his trusty backpack, he can produce a jet pack or Peanut Pop Guns to give Donkey Kong more abilities.

• For the first time ever, the franchise features the ability for two people to play together at the same time - one as Donkey Kong, one as Diddy Kong. Players can navigate the levels separately or as one unit. Diddy Kong can ride on Donkey Kong's back and hop off whenever he pleases, allowing novice players to ride on Donkey Kong's back through more challenging areas of the game. [* Additional accessories required and are sold separately.]

• Hidden items, puzzle pieces and other surprises are found all through the jungle. Spell out K-O-N-G by the end of each level to earn an extra bonus.

• Motion controls give players a real feeling of control. Players move Donkey Kong using the Control Stick on the Nunchuk™ controller and can shake the Wii Remote™ controller to make Donkey Kong slap the ground.

• Vibrant colors, beautiful graphics and fun characters draw players in. Even people who have never played a Donkey Kong game before can pick up a controller and start collecting loads of bananas.

• Every level offers new fun and new challenges. Sometimes Donkey Kong is running through the jungle, sometimes his action takes place on a tropical beach and other times he must become a master of timing as he jumps chasms in a mine cart.

So it looks like Jungle Beat without the bongos (or fur shading) but I'm more than happy. Would have been cool to see if Rambi/Winky and even the rest of the Kong crew return but with the 'Country' tag I'm confident.

This day has been astounding. DKC back on Nintendo is just...well, I never thought we would see it now. Brilliant.

It looks amazing. It's there! What I loved about the original DKC is there! My favourite E3 announcement by far.

But I think it's unaminous that Donley Kong County > DK64.

I'm more of a fan of Donkey Kong Provinces myself :heh:

Me, Ine and Vipey were in an MSN conversation about an hour ago, and we decided to watch the conference together.

You should have heard/seen us when this got revealed. We squealed like pigs.

Looks bluddy incredible. I thought we'd never ever see a proper DK Country game again!

Yeah just read about that over at GoNintendo. Here's the details.

I want to see more characters and stuff from the DKC trilogy confirmed for this one, but after reading those bullet points I'm actually dying to play it. :D K Rool will be behind it all, wait and see.

One thing though: I could be wrong here, but isn't it DK Isle? There's no way its been called DK Island all these years- doesn't sound right to me.

Of course they'll all be in it. This will be amazing. Retro made it!!

Surprised at your restraint snowman; I presumed you'd be lying on your back, body bent in two, trying to fellate yourself with this news!

I would be... but my back just won't bend far enough and like you said, Retro made it- and they made the Prime games, so I'm apprehensive, yet cautiously optimistic.

Thank god for no dixie anyway. That hair move was so cheap

I disagree...

It was refreshing to see a female character back then and the hair twirl opened up a ton of secret rooms and was possibly used far better than something like Tails' flying from Sonic. I wouldn't call it cheap, it was innovative if anything.

Either way, as Retro created 3 primes I'd be delighted if they made a trilogy if DKC games. Still, one is enough at the moment!

Thank god for no dixie anyway. That hair move was so cheap

For me, Dixie is one of the main characters in DK. She supported in DKC 2 and was the lead character in DKC 3. :heh: I thought Tiny Kong was one of the more bearable Kongs in DK 64.

It was refreshing to see a female character back then and the hair twirl opened up a ton of secret rooms and was possibly used far better than something like Tails' flying from Sonic. I wouldn't call it cheap, it was innovative if anything.

I remember tuning in especially to Movies, Games & Videos on Saturday to see some footage of DKC 2. It probably wasn't even 30 seconds worth of a preview, but its been ingrained on my brain ever since. They showed Dixie doing her twirl move and as soon as I saw it in motion, I was completely sold on DKC 2. :love: Not that I wasn't already... but back then you rarely saw footage of games, just screenies from mags.

The barrel blasting DK into the screen, onto the layer behind, was my favorite part.

Agreed! Hopefully they make good use of that mechanic and hopefully the game can be played at a good pace like the other DKC games.

I remember tuning in especially to Movies, Games & Videos on Saturday to see some footage of DKC 2. It probably wasn't even 30 seconds worth of a preview, but its been ingrained on my brain ever since. They showed Dixie doing her twirl move and as soon as I saw it in motion, I was completely sold on DKC 2. :love: Not that I wasn't already... but back then you rarely saw footage of games, just screenies from mags.

I'm sure I saw this one too. The episode I saw showed early footage of one of the underwater galleon levels. That guys voice talking over the show still haunts me.

Good times.

Edited by tapedeck

glad to see that there isnt a Bongo Controller in site.

dont get me wrong i actually kinda enjoyed DK Jungle beat

think that they should of had the control scheme is similar way to that of new super mario bro's. just tilt the wii-mote into a classic NES Pad ;)

I disagree...

Either way, as Retro created 3 primes I'd be delighted if they made a trilogy if DKC games. Still, one is enough at the moment!

She completely made the characters unbalanced. I mean who on earth would want to be diddy, I know he was faster but in a game like DKC where you take almost every step with caution, speed isn't what you need. If anything you need to slow down and dixie slowed your jumps.

In sonic it's different, tails never really gave you an advantage. Sonic never really required precise jumping moves, flying with tails REALLY slowed down the game and nobody wanted that. Tails was handy for getting to bonus areas or unreachable ledges.

I have no problem with the character itself, Hurrah a female character but problem is she was too good.

She completely made the characters unbalanced. I mean who on earth would want to be diddy, I know he was faster but in a game like DKC where you take almost every step with caution, speed isn't what you need. If anything you need to slow down and dixie slowed your jumps.

In sonic it's different, tails never really gave you an advantage. Sonic never really required precise jumping moves, flying with tails REALLY slowed down the game and nobody wanted that. Tails was handy for getting to bonus areas or unreachable ledges.

I have no problem with the character itself, Hurrah a female character but problem is she was too good.

I always used Diddy - he was much faster (speed was actually quite vital in many parts of DKC2) and I found his attack was much better. Also, you were better off using Diddy first just in case he got hit because then you could fall back on Dixie whose jumping abilities were, as you not so well phrase, better.

For some reason I often underestimate my love for this series, but this was the game on the entire conference that as soon as I saw it I knew I would buy it.

First Gameplay: (off screen)

Lol those dudes will never reach the final boss.

In DKC you could just as easily say that Diddy was better than Donkey.

well he was :)

I always used Diddy - he was much faster (speed was actually quite vital in many parts of DKC2) and I found his attack was much better. Also, you were better off using Diddy first just in case he got hit because then you could fall back on Dixie whose jumping abilities were, as you not so well phrase, better.

I suppose everyone used diddy first.

Well just a thought.. doesn't seem like she'll be in it anyways.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!