NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

So....how many worlds does this game have? How many levels?

Is each world a specific theme right?!

Is each world a specific theme right?!

- Tallon Jungle

- Chozo Temple Tempest

- Magmoor Monkey Mines

- Phendrana's Row

- K. Rool's Sunken Frigate

- Phazon Chute Panic

- Kremling Krater

The only thing I'm getting wrong is the inclusion of the Kremlings. :sad:

Supposedly there's 9 worlds, and it's been reported that there's over 70 levels.

Amazing. Listen to the retro tunes on show...

This borders on 'remix'...taken from the Tidal wave level.

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Main title:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Jungle Hijinx:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Map Screen:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Forest Frenzy Returns:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Temple Music:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Factory:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Aquatic Ambience Remix:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Life in the Mines: (Makes me miss Winky more!) - Better than the original?

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

Edited by tapedeck
K.Rool typo

Which online retailer is most likely to get this to me the earliest?

I hear this guy is pretty good at delivering...

400884-freeze_super.jpg

He does international shipping these days.

Play/Game are pretty good, right? You may get it Thur then.

I suggest going into town and getting it with a ton of bananas.

I picked up this months ONM and read their review of the game, well I say read, what I mean is I started and then closed the magazine in disgust.

They were going on about how certain things have changed since the original trilogy, which is fine, but then they wrote this.

The Kremling Crew is nowhere to be seen-you're mostly pounding the skulls of the native wildlife instead-and underwater levels are out too ( thank God )

It was at this point I stopped reading the review and disregarded everything they had wrote up to then. The DKC games are well known for their great platforming and how well the games underwater levels play out.

The guy reviewing the game either hasn't played the originals or doesn't understand what makes a good underwater level. Either way he shouldn't be reviewing this game and is now on H-o-Ts Hitlist!

*lights cigar and cocks shotgun*

People just hate water levels i guess.

I also don't like them usually but i enjoyed DKC's style of water levels, even if they're not my favourites overall.

Mario or Zelda's water levels on the other hand *shudder*

People just hate water levels i guess.

I also don't like them usually but i enjoyed DKC's style of water levels, even if they're not my favourites overall.

Mario or Zelda's water levels on the other hand *shudder*

The swimming levels on the NES games were a pain but from SMW onwards, they aren't bad - the Sunken Ghost Ship level before the Valley of Bowser being perhaps the notable exception. Just go in as Fire Mario and you're laughing pretty much.

Now Zelda on the other hand, yeah, they do tend to be a nuisance.

Underwater levels are usually a stress with oxygen and dodgy physics but DKC got it right. Enguarde made a huge difference and it was more like playing a fun flight game just gliding about. The music obviously helped set the mood.

I guess it's like Endless Ocean. Can be utterly relaxing or a threat. I prefer the former.

Decided to pre-order from Shopto as I didn't see anywhere else quite as cheap and potential chance for early dispatch. Come on!

Less than a week to go - new signature time!
Nice. icon14.gif

Time for me to jump on the DK hype train too... :grin:

My copy arrived from Play Asia. Prepare for disappointment. I'm only 4 levels in and this comes no where close to the past DKC games, in fact, it's unbelievably average. I had much more fun with NSMB and Kirby's Epic Yarn... There's just something missing. Will play a bit more tomorrow and see if there's much improvement.

Less than a week to go - new signature time!

Nice. icon14.gif

Time for me to jump on the DK hype train too... :grin:

Please, I've been rocking my DK sig for ages now...

:heh:

Please, I've been rocking my DK sig for ages now...

:heh:

Fashionably late? :hehe:

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing the site adorned with your awesome DKC:R banner, Eddage.

I'm actually quite tempted to put it up right now, but that wouldn't really be fair on old Mickey. :heh:

Been playing the NTSC version with my bud. We're at World 7 now. I love it, to me it capture a lot of the essence and feel of the original DKC, but adds a bunch of cool current-gen stuff.

One thing we're yet to understand though, is why Diddy has jetpacks and peanut guns while Donkey has nothing.

I find it strange that Nicktendo didn't like it as it's probably the best Wii game I've picked up in a loooong time.

I picked up this months ONM and read their review of the game, well I say read, what I mean is I started and then closed the magazine in disgust.

They were going on about how certain things have changed since the original trilogy, which is fine, but then they wrote this.

It was at this point I stopped reading the review and disregarded everything they had wrote up to then. The DKC games are well known for their great platforming and how well the games underwater levels play out.

The guy reviewing the game either hasn't played the originals or doesn't understand what makes a good underwater level. Either way he shouldn't be reviewing this game and is now on H-o-Ts Hitlist!

*lights cigar and cocks shotgun*

ONM aren't to be trusted, they gave the re-released Super Mario All-Stars 90% and went on about how the games included have updated visuals.

THEY ARE SNES VISUALS! IT IS A SNES GAME!

ONM aren't to be trusted, they gave the re-released Super Mario All-Stars 90% and went on about how the games included have updated visuals.

THEY ARE SNES VISUALS! IT IS A SNES GAME!

Yeah, I loved that review. All the way through it you could tell they were trying to justify that package and their score. Classic!

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I'm only on world 4 coop with a roommate. We've both just been lovin it all the way through. I'm not comparing it to the originals because that's just setting it up for disappointment. It has a lot more of a connection to Donkey Kong Jungle Beat (visuals and boss stuff) which isn't a bad thing.

Right now we're at a part involving lots of minecart madness. :P The only thing that's slightly flawed with this kind of stuff is that we're playing Co-op.... and the minecart/rambi parts are really single player only. So you end up just trading off who goes next and such... which isn't a big deal at all... except that when you die it's 2 lives lost.

The game is laid back enough to where you don't really care that you die 892347 times on the same stage. We were playing the same map for like a half hour just because we kept dieing. It just kinda fueled us to get better at it and such.

Combine that with Player 2's controller randomly disconnecting and sending us both into failure and it ended up just being heaps of fun haha.

My copy arrived today! :D Played through the first world and the first two levels of world 2, and I'm really loving it. I think it's on course to be my GOTY...

I've just realise that it's only 3 days until this officialy comes out here... *is somewhat excited* and the fact that I ordered from Shopto coul potentially mean it arrives a day or two early *Is doubly excited* though it will probably arrive here on release day in all likelihood *calms down somewhat* or get delayed because of more unforseen snow... *returns to normal apathetic state*

But still, DKCR! whooo etc! :D

Just got an email from GAME saying they've dropped the price of the game (currently listed as £34.99 on the site) by £5 but they charged me the old price which I'm guessing they meant £39.99, but I preordered when it was £29.99 so I guess I'm getting this for £25 in effect, unless they have charged me £39.99 when they shouldn't have?