NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

I'm "stuck" on the shitty Forest Temple. Hate it. Its so god damn pointless NOT giving you a DK barrel at the beginning. I hate.

I'm "stuck" on the shitty Forest Temple. Hate it. Its so god damn pointless NOT giving you a DK barrel at the beginning. I hate.

Hate it when it does that. Take the Final Boss for example. It gives you a DK Barrel at the start of the level, then you have a bit where you wouldnt need it, and then you have a checkpoint just before the boss with no barrel. It's evil

This is the exact place I left the game at earlier, because I like to complete each level AND get all the K-O-N-G letters before moving onto the next and then only moving onto the boss stage when the Temple is complete.

Earlier I ended up amassing about twenty-odd lives on the stage before that - the one with the spiders - and then just throwing them away due to careless mistakes which really wouldn't have happened as much if I'd started out with both DK and Diddy.

One I get past this point I'm sure I'll be able to make some nice progress but being 'stuck' due to a slight design oversight does annoy me somewhat, especially as for the most part everything in the game is perfectly paced and important items are precision placed.

I've been limiting myself to one world per day since getting the game, so I just reached the end of World 7 today - some great levels in that one. Also had a quick look at World 8 - I can't believe Retro have managed to make a lava level look fresh! I've only unlocked one of the K-levels so far, so still got loads to do. :D

Does this game use Super Guide at all?

Yup, if you die 8 times in a row, Senator Pig (not his official name) pops up and offers to let Super Kong take over and nail the level. Obviously, collectables obtained in Super Guide mode aren't saved.

Yup, it's like that on various levels. 5-K is probably the hardest K level so if you do that your set. :)

The DK barrels and checkpoints in the game are sometimes out of wack. I was quite surprised just how many times I hit a checkpoint and there was no DK barrel sitting there.

The checkpoints can be a little unfair, especially when going for the KONG letters or puzzle pieces. Sometimes you will get the first letter and then get a checkpoint, other times you have to get 3 and then a checkpoint surfaces. With the puzzle pieces it's not a problem as they save as soon as you get them but the KONG letters...having to get all again if you die is a pain.

Speaking of checkpoints, why is there a pig there? Surely they could have used one of the Kong crew like say Funky Kong or even better use Cranky and have him come out and make remarks about never having a checkpoint system when he was a lad. You then could have had Swanky or Candy run the shop.

Still can't believe how they butchered Cranky in this game. :cry:

ok ive been travelling for the past 10 months but get back to the uk in about a week. If im going to buy one wii title thats been released this year is this the title to get? It looks pretty awesome and I loved the DKC series on the snes.

It's a great game but if you haven't picked up any games this year on the Wii then I think Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the way to go.

Speaking of checkpoints, why is there a pig there? Surely they could have used one of the Kong crew like say Funky Kong or even better use Cranky and have him come out and make remarks about never having a checkpoint system when he was a lad. You then could have had Swanky or Candy run the shop.

Still can't believe how they butchered Cranky in this game. :cry:

Cranky doing the Super Guide run himself would've been hilarious! :grin:

I can't believe they didn't go with that actually.

I've been limiting myself to one world per day since getting the game, so I just reached the end of World 7 today - some great levels in that one. Also had a quick look at World 8 - I can't believe Retro have managed to make a lava level look fresh! I've only unlocked one of the K-levels so far, so still got loads to do. :D
I'm only up to World 3. Re-playing stages and time attack is holding me back. :hehe:

I should probably just play through the whole game before doing that stuff, but after finishing a stage I always think of a way I could improve or do something differently, so back I go. :heh:

oh yeh i completely forgot about Galaxy 2.....i guess ill just have to get both.

HA! I love this.

"I can only get one"

"Wait....they both came out? Well that doesn't count." :p

ok ive been travelling for the past 10 months but get back to the uk in about a week. If im going to buy one wii title thats been released this year is this the title to get? It looks pretty awesome and I loved the DKC series on the snes.

Monster Hunter Tri. About 400 hours played, it's unbelievably good...

End boss is a complete wanker. You actually have to have the reaction speed of a robot to be able to jump the

Double hand squash. Seriously. I've done it twice out of like...30 attempts.

Why are the hearts coming out random?

End boss is a complete wanker. You actually have to have the reaction speed of a robot to be able to jump the

Double hand squash. Seriously. I've done it twice out of like...30 attempts.

Why are the hearts coming out random?

Then roll out of the way lol

Then roll out of the way lol

Rez doesn't do Waggle, but if he did, it would probably be the best waggle in the world.

Urgh, I now see what you guys meant about 5-K. It's bloody impossible without Diddy and even then it's tricky as fuck. It's doing my head in.

Urgh, I now see what you guys meant about 5-K. It's bloody impossible without Diddy and even then it's tricky as fuck. It's doing my head in.

I did it without Diddy as I couldn't be bothered to keep exiting the level and then coming back in, it took a hell of a long time though. I think I used a potion from Cranky's shop to help me along the way.

Rez doesn't do Waggle, but if he did, it would probably be the best waggle in the world.

Wait....what....you can roll out of the way of the

Double hand squash?

How does that even make sense.

Anyway, the waggle has definitely soured the game a bit for me. Its such a stupid control method. I did the boss yesterday. Need to grab the last K temple and then had back to 5-K. Then get the Jigsaws.

Wait....what....you can roll out of the way of the

Double hand squash?

How does that even make sense.

Anyway, the waggle has definitely soured the game a bit for me. Its such a stupid control method. I did the boss yesterday. Need to grab the last K temple and then had back to 5-K. Then get the Jigsaws.

Oh, I thought you meant the slam. For that, I just go to the side quickly and jump on the hand, bouncing off of it until it moves

Bounce and Blast can FUCK OFF. Seriously. Fucking stupid arse piece of shit level. Fucking hate it.

I have just completed the Bombs Away level in World 4, however, I only got the K-letter and a couple of jigsaw pieces; that level is going to be a pain to get everything in!

Also, had a go on multiplayer in this for a couple of hours, and I am not that impressed. I prefer to play this alone. Mostly because we went from 66 lives to 0 in a matter of minutes; it's rather unfair that if you die and don't come back and the other person still alive also dies, two lives are lost, even though the first player didn't come back; that is three lives lost at a time. Luckily, lives aren't that hard to come across but that still semms rather unfair to me.

But the game simply wasn't as fun and chaotic as NSMBWii (which in co-op wasn't even that fun - Coin Mode was and is all that mattered/matters).

Bounce and Blast can FUCK OFF. Seriously. Fucking stupid arse piece of shit level. Fucking hate it.

I managed it easily with Diddy & Banana Juice. The Banana Juice was just for peace of mind. I didn't even get down to 7 on it which meant I would have been fine