NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

I have just played through the first level and I couldn't find all puzzle pieces, and I think I looked pretty much about everywhere but apparently not. Couldn't play any more, though, as my girl friend wanted to watch Beverly Hills (for the nth time).

Is it just me, or does Donkey Kong float rather much when jumping? I had trouble landing on one of the first blue destroyable blocks, simply because when I jumped straight up and tilted the control stick a little (nunchuck), he jumped over it. Maybe I just have to get used to it but I found it a little weird.

Well so far I've got to the third area and all I have to say is...

OMFGLOLHAXTHisGAmeISSoAWesomeTBFtbh!

[/ReZ] :D

Seriously though, I completely understand, it's like... the game is so awesome that you go to type something about how amazing it all is and that's all that comes out because you're still in awe at just how brilliant it is!

I mean... I've only just played the first level of the third area and it's just so good, there's so much I want to say about it but I just can't because a) I just can't seem to find the words b) I don't want to spoil anything for anyone who's playing/gonna be playing this c) I just want to get back to playing the game...

...right now.

kthxbai!

*update*

This game... just keeps getting better and better... also it's clearly well designed because I keep dying - frequently - and that happens is I remark to myself 'oh well...' because I know it's always my fault and not the games, so I just keep on playing... and smiling. :)

Did anyone get the GAME Oxford Street deal (it was also on at one other GAME and one GameStation)?

Ashley managed to trade some bananas in for a copy. :heh:

You're all killing me.. seriously :eek: I kinda wish I had ordered it now so I could be sitting here playing it in a delicious DK t-shirt..

What is the quality of the t-shirt like, Ganepark32?

You're all killing me.. seriously :eek: I kinda wish I had ordered it now so I could be sitting here playing it in a delicious DK t-shirt..

What is the quality of the t-shirt like, Ganepark32?

The t-shirt itself feels alright (very soft) but the print is really plastic-y and shiny. It's pretty good considering it was free with the game, although it's not of the same quality as the one I got for Mirror's Edge. Obviously, that'll go away after a few washes. Don't think I'm going to wear it really. Not out of the house anyway.

Played through the first world and 3 levels of the second and... well, I don't know. I haven't played a Donkey Kong game, Country or otherwise, in 10 years or more so it's not that I feel disappointed through comparing it to the last one I played (which was the DKC 2 port on the Gameboy). It's just not grabbing me yet, which is annoying considering I had to trudge through the snow and take a 20 mile+ bus journey to get it.

Obviously, I'll keep playing but maybe I've just had my fill of platformers for now seeing as in the run up to this being release, I've played Super Meat Boy, Splosion Man, Sonic Colours, Robox and Epic Mickey. I think having played all those platformers so close together may have desensitised me to them for the time being.

Oh, and does anyone else think of Metroid Prime when they hear the hypnotising song from the Tikis? I can't help but think of the music from the Prime games every time I hear it.

Just discovered Time Attack mode - and it's pretty darn hard! :eek: Tried out the first three levels, and only got a gold medal in the third one, after a lot of practice. Really brilliant feeling getting the gold, though, and I enjoyed watching the replay back - such a shame you can't save them!

OMG.

BOMBS AWAY. HAHASHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH LOOOOOOOL mazing LEVLEINGzomgf!!!!!!!

Having just finished the 'Bombs Away' level I can confirm that 100% agree with this statement and I wholeheartedly endorse it as the level in question 'be totally sick yo' and other such 'radical' phrases used to describe such genuine feelings of euphoria...

[/formal]

I love this damn game so much! :D

I'm close to making bold statements....but for now....I will say, that this game....probably has *the* best designed 2D platform levels ever.

You call that 'close' to making bold statements?

I'm one of the fucking idiots who also asked for this for Christmas and now regretting it...

I don't care, had it pre-ordered for ages anyway, I'm not going all the way in to central London in this weather in the hopes of saving about £25.

If you're paying £10 for bananas you're being overcharged...

I went. I rationalised it by saying "well I wanted to be at the studio for 8:30 so if I get there for 8 and if its too busy I'll just hop on the bus" (stop is right outside anyway). I stayed in the end though and was chatting to people. Wasn't that cold, only my feet felt it. Didn't particularly enjoy waiting until 9:30 though. At 9am they began setting up the POS. Back in my day we used to do that BEFORE the store was supposed to open.

But yes, DKCR for 72p :D!

But yes, DKCR for 72p :D!

Congrats Ash! :) I really hope you enjoy DKCR, it really is something special indeed, what's more... I'm glad that you were able to bag a - nearly - free copy of the game as I can think of few more deserving than yourself as Editor-in-chief of N-Europe.

Of course all of us here at N-E put in a lot of work for the site but recently I feel that you've done a brilliant job of stepping up and accepting the huge amount of responsibility that running this site involves. :D

So I hope that somehow you'll find the time to play through and enjoy the game as it really is a hell of a lot of fun.

-------------------------------------

Also a small side-note... was anyone else not just a little bit disappointed that the game doesn't come in a yellow box? :p

My copy arrived from Play Asia. Prepare for disappointment. I'm only 4 levels in and this comes no where close to the past DKC games, in fact, it's unbelievably average. I had much more fun with NSMB and Kirby's Epic Yarn... There's just something missing. Will play a bit more tomorrow and see if there's much improvement.

I lied. It's AAWWWWEEEEEEEEESOME!

I've just reached the 4th world and so far so good. However, a few things are niggling me.

The first is the lack of variety when it comes to the bonus stages, I also would have preferred the bonus barrels to be marked differently.

Second, Cranky Kongs banter isn't half as funny as it used to be. Im also not keen on the design of him either, looks like the one from DK Jet Racing.

Lastly im not keen on the roll move using the waggle. At times i've found it to be a little unresponsive, much like DeBlobs jump feature and I would have liked to have just been able to press a button to achieve the same thing.

Other than that i'm really enjoying the game and yes some of the levels are sheer genius. Im still not feeling it as a DKC game though.

Agree EXACTLY with all of those points. Roll being waggle is ridiculous, and makes time attack even fucking harder. Stupid fucking waggle.

Out of interest, what control method are you all using and have you tried the others?

Wiimote only and nah I haven't tried any others.

So I played a little more and got up to the end of the second world and it's now beginning to click with me. Blowhole Bound and Tidal Terror (and that level with the big Octopus) really have been the best levels so far and really helped to get me enjoying the game. Everything up to that point had been rather 'meh' for me.

It's still not at that level of being 'special' or 'amazing' for me but it's moving in the right direction and hopefully there's some more interesting levels to come that continue to build on the ones I've mentioned.

But that Blowhole Bound level, it was such a simple idea but I thought it was really well done and exciting, especially when it started to destroy the platforms you were jumping over. Similarly with Tidal Terror, which genuinely did make you go, "Oh s**t! Quick, get to cover."