NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Yeah, Tidal Terror is a beast of a level, loved it to bits.

I just beat BOMBS AWAY! before and wow, that level is insane. It's the first time the pig has offered me help ( how dare he ) of course I declined his helping hand and finally finished it. The end part is fantastic. :D

Another level to give me some grief was Crowded Cavern. The first part was simple but the last part with the bat was brutal. He kept shooting me out of the sky. :(

Im just about to fight the world 4 boss.

Congrats Ash! :) I really hope you enjoy DKCR, it really is something special indeed, what's more... I'm glad that you were able to bag a - nearly - free copy of the game as I can think of few more deserving than yourself as Editor-in-chief of N-Europe.

Of course all of us here at N-E put in a lot of work for the site but recently I feel that you've done a brilliant job of stepping up and accepting the huge amount of responsibility that running this site involves. :D

So I hope that somehow you'll find the time to play through and enjoy the game as it really is a hell of a lot of fun.

Aww you're too kind! :blush: Thanks :) I'm just trying to keep this place ticking along and make sure I don't keel over.

And yeah that's the thing. Lord knows when I'll play this. Seldom have time to game lately and the only game I am playing is Mickey because I'm reviewing it ^_^

Onto the volcano world now. Having to go back for more lives as it's just insane now.

It is wondeful and I'm loving it but really missing the obligitary snowcapped world and yes, the peripheral Cranky may as well not be in there.

The variety on show is sublime and although this means it (at times) plays wholly different to DKC on the SNES it's 'possibly' just as good. Just...still...not...feeling the cartoony style. The pre-rendered look was (and still is) wonderful and unique.

Should have this completed tomorrow. By completed I mean 'the story arc' not the actual secretathon it offers.

Also: DARKSNOWMAN...ARE YOU PLAYING THIS?!?!?

photo1.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

I can confirm that moustaches and facial hair are what is required to make high quality games.

Muncher Marathon was a right bitch. The level itself isn't that bad, it's when you start trying to get the KONG letters and puzzle pieces things start to get hectic.

The boss of world 5 has probably been the weakset so far. It's not a bad fight but it just pales in comparison to the rest of them. Mole Train FTW!

On to world 6 I go....

All done! Well the mian story anyway. My final completion rate was 84%

Some of the last leves were brutal, I lost tons of lives at various points. One of the early levels from world 8 butchered me, took me a good 10-15 lives to get it sorted.

In the Factory world I loved the level Music Madness! It was great how all of the obstacles were in time with the music. Awesome!

Overall it's a fantastic game with plenty of challenge but as I said earlier it still doesn't feel like a DKC game. Sure, it has cheeky references here and there but it still feels different. This is by no means a bad thing, as I said the game is fantastic and I would love to see a trilogy made by Retro.

Now im off to try and get 100%...yes I know there's 200% but there's no way in hell im trying to get gold on the time attack stages! :D

Think I'm going to put this away until after my forthcoming exams as it's beginning to rub me up the same way New Super Mario Bros. did and that's definitely not a good thing, as I disliked both of the NSMB games. Like those games, I can't quite put my finger entirely on what isn't clicking with me but as it's been 10 years or so since I played a DK game, it's definitely not nostalgia related. The only issue I can really put my finger on is that stupid 'shake the Wii-mote to ground pound/roll/blow' setup. Anyone know if that can be changed in any setup? It's a terrible idea and really, the roll should have been put as a double tap of the left or right on the d-pad.

It's probably platformer fatigue, as I have played a ridiculous number of platformers in the past weeks, so hopefully by putting it away, I can come back to it in a few weeks with fresh eyes and enjoy it. Hopefully.

..wait.. is there no snow? :weep:

After all the snow we've had, I'm a bit glad of this :P

At last! DKC:R (and ridiculously large T-Shirt :heh:) GET!! :bouncy:

Still haven't got mine, hope it arrives later today don't want to wait until Monday :(

Still haven't got mine, hope it arrives later today don't want to wait until Monday :(
Unlucky man, fingers crossed it shows up for you soon.

there's no way in hell im trying to get gold on the time attack stages! :D
Hehehe! Time attack is already one of my favourite aspects of this game. :grin: Also, how funny is DK's animation at the start of a level. Genius! :laughing:

Anyway, not really much I can say about the game that hasn't been said already, obviously though I'm absolutely loving it. :hehe: I mean it plays great, looks and sounds incredible... it's just so slick. :awesome:

Sunset Shore absolutely blew me away! :o

Yeah it's been all over the trailers and ads, but nothing compares to actually playing it.

And the music... Damn! This goes straight into my collection of awesome Wii Music, what a superb track. :love:

Broadcast Yourself
Audio

The copy I ordered from GAME still hasn't arrived either.

I've been doing the earlier levels again to grab the things I missed and they seem really easy after doing the later worlds. There are hearts, checkpoints and DK barrels everywhere. :D

I forgot to mention earlier that even though the enemies are pretty cool I still miss and prefer the Kremlins, they just seem to have more character. Also, the music isn't a patch on the original games. Sure, there is a good tune here and there but nothing as memorable as the original tunes.

88% done now.

My wrist hurts! I have been trying to get gold on level 1-3 for over an hour now, just can't nail it! My best time is 56 sec and the gold is at 54 sec. I know where I make my fatal errors but I just can't avoid them - the place with the two vertically jumping frogs and those three birds is just killing me, litterally! Now I've put the game down.

I, too, wish they would have assigned roll to a button, mainly because it's not always as responsive as one could hope, but secondly because those damn waggles hurt my wrists.

The music is great, though, and the Temple Stage on World 1 was absolutely fantastic to play! Lost a good deal of lives there but what a level! Phew. Can see this game going down to be one of my most played games right next to Brawl; time attack is addicting.

The K levels are freaking awesome! No checkpoints, no barrels, just pure platforming bliss. I just did 5-K and my palms are sweating and my heart is racing, very intense. :D

If you're paying £10 for bananas you're being overcharged...

You're forgetting travel expenses, I live out in the suburbs, would've cost me best part of a tenner to get in there.

Anyway, finally got my copy, so off to play it now.

Wow that's an insane unlockable! This game is like Mario Kart with all the time attack and now that. Hah. This is nice. Looking forward to getting back the game later this afternoon; I just have to write on my BSc thesis and walk through the snow to get the Toy Story 3 blu-ray.

Edited by MindFreak

Just finished the jungle, and I'm loving it. Was a bit rusty to start off, but getting in to the swing of things now, and it's just brilliant. I get why they called it DKC returns, but it should be DKC4, it's right up there with the original games.

You're forgetting travel expenses, I live out in the suburbs, would've cost me best part of a tenner to get in there.

Anyway, finally got my copy, so off to play it now.

Ah okay. For me it was (in a way) free as I used my bus pass and theres a bus from near my house that goes to Tottenham CR.

Anyway. Still not opened it.

Finished the main game today. Wow, this has been a really challenging game and I'm loving it. Going through to get all the KONGs now then will go through and get all the puzzle pieces

Got this yesterday. Only for it to be taken from me as it was a Christmas present from my folks :heh:

Really looking forward to this! Will welcome more 2D side scrolling platforming!

This game is sickeningly tricky. I am disgusted.

I know right. Especially those Rocket levels