NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Donkey Kong Country 3 has always been the best out of the series for a known fact, it has more of everything that DKC2 had plus even more. People are blind in thinking that DKC2 has more to offer.

Quantity doesn't always mean better. DKC3 is obviously amazing though.

DKC2 is just more iconic and more fun, the levels were more fun and more "stick out in your mind", like the Toxic Tower level etc etc.

Quantity doesn't always mean better. DKC3 is obviously amazing though.

DKC2 is just more iconic and more fun, the levels were more fun and more "stick out in your mind", like the Toxic Tower level etc etc.

This!

Donkey Kong Country 3 has always been the best out of the series for a known fact, it has more of everything that DKC2 had plus even more. People are blind in thinking that DKC2 has more to offer.

[/img]

It has the worst character design (enemies and boss are all fugly as hell and generic. They raped the kremlings big time in this one... and god forgive them for what they did to the zingers) and atmosphere of the the 3 DKC, making it bland to play.

I personally prefer DKC2 because of the awesome music and atmosphere it conveys... Even looking at that picture of DKC3 looks a bit.. am happy.

Plus I prefer the diddy and dixie combination.

LoZ aLttP was a terrible game.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. My least favourite Zelda.

Also, DKC > DKC 2 > DKC 3

I refuse to take further part in this silly "which is the best" debate. Call me when you're talking about the Mega Drive Sonic games, where the order is far more obvious.

I refuse to take further part in this silly "which is the best" debate. Call me when you're talking about the Mega Drive Sonic games, where the order is far more obvious.

I know it's off-topic but shoot :D Main platforming ones now.

Sonic 3> sonic 2> Sonic and knuckles > Sonic 1 > sonic cd

OR

sonic 3 and knuckles> sonic 2> sonic 1> sonic cd

But all are awesome!

LoZ aLttP was a terrible game.

I can see what you would think that. For me though it's one of the best zelda titles. The action starts STRAIGHT away.

Nowadays it takes us about 2 hours to go through an intro and get the damn sword.

For what it's worth, I agree with you. My least favourite Zelda.

I'll just leave this here...

zelda2.jpg

I know it's off-topic but shoot :D Main platforming ones now.

Sonic 3> sonic 2> Sonic and knuckles > Sonic 1 > sonic cd

OR

But all are awesome!

Oh hell no! Its: Sonic CD > Sonic 3 and Knuckles > Sonic 2 > Sonic 1

Trust me, if you've ever played Sonic CD, you'd know it's arguably the best 2D Sonic game, although it does run it very close with S3&K, and yes they are all awesome.[/off topic]

Getting back on topic, I'm still not really hyped for this. I did play DKC2 to completion and some of DKC3, albeit both of these were the fantastic Gameboy ports, and while I really enjoyed those, it's been years (almost a decade) since I last played one of them or a true Donkey Kong title and perhaps the series has kind of waned a little for me.

I know Retro Studios will do a good job with the game but I don't know, it's not really taken me. Kind of how I was never taken with NSMB. Wii even after playing it (although that was more to do with the fact it was pretty similar to the DS one and I hated that). I am getting the game when it's released but to say I'm eager to play it would be an overestimate. Doesn't help that I'm more excited for Epic Mickey, which comes out the week before.

That list appears to be completely in the wrong order :heh:

Trust me, if you've ever played Sonic CD, you'd know it's arguably the best 2D Sonic game, although it does run it very close with S3&K, and yes they are all awesome.[/off topic]

AH HIILL NAW!

I'd say sonic cd was overated but it didn't get a whole lot of attention. I hate getting mad off-topic but nah it's the worst of the originals I thought, still better than anything released after sonic and knuckles though.

Just to get us a little back on track now we've all agreed that A Link to the Past is the best SNES game :p

You get to see the map for the first area and Cranky's shop in this one too - both of which I'd not seen before.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Sonic and its games regarded to be even lower than that small layer of mould which grows on a piece of poo after a good few weeks?

You know, just like Darksnowman sees the Metroid series....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Sonic and its games regarded to be even lower than that small layer of mould which grows on a piece of poo after a good few weeks?

You know, just like Darksnowman sees the Metroid series....

Not the Mega Drive games - they are seen as some of finest examples of 2D gameplay from any generation.

It's the 3D games with their crap controls and multitude of hangers onners each setting new standards in appalling gameplay and the portable 2D games that are all about speed and holding right with nary a platform in sight.

Those are the ones that get the flack :wink:

Now, I haven't played Sonic CD (I was honestly referring only to the Mega Drive ones), but:

S3&K > S2 > S1

Is the obvious order, and no one seems to disagree.

If we add S3 and S&K the issue becomes more divisive. For me:

S3&K > S2 > S&K > S1 > S3

P.S.: FFIX >>> The other ones

Back on-topic: In preparation for DKCR, I replayed DKC 1 and 2. I am now replaying the Golden Suns also as preparation for Dark Dawn, but I will not forget DKC 3.

I think I should get on replaying the Kongs too! Make it my mission today or tomorrow!

I need to start playing the first DKC. I've only had it on VC since 2006.

Best SNES games:

1. Super Mario World

2. Super Metroid

3. Link to the Past

Best Sonic games:

1. Sonic the Hedgehog

2. Sonic 3

And I still don't like waggle. :heh:

I own three copies of aLttP, two on SNES and another on GBA. I even bought four swords for GCN (which was insanely more fun than aLttP)

My problem with the game is the pacing and lack of direction. The game encourages...err forces you to talk to every NPC and go to every corner of the map in the most roundabout ways (just to lengthen gameplay) in order for you to start the game. The dungeons didn't feel like dungeons as much as just a twisted path to follow where you have to kill certain enemies.

That being said, in the half dozen times I've tried to like the game, I've never been able to stand it's terrible formula for more than a few hours.

Also, Zelda 2 > A Link to the Past.

Zelda 2 and Windwaker are my favorites.

That list appears to be completely in the wrong order :heh:

To you maybe but I've played them all extensively and that's the order I, and pretty much most people who've played the original 2D Sonic games thoroughly, put them in.

But who really gives a damn. It's all subjective. And it's all wholly irrelevant to this thread and its topic: Donkey Kong Country Returns.

Funnily enough, Donkey Kong Country Returns is the best SNES/Megadrive/Sonic/Zelda and DKC game!

What's the best SNES/Megadrive/Sonic/DKC/Zelda game?

I see that the thread has finally been renamed according to its true topic. How about moving it to the retro gaming section? People comparing their nostalgia dicks should be right at home over there.

So, until a new thread dedicated to DCR is created, how about having a look at another hopefully excellent Wii J'n'R/Adventure/RPG that's not far away either?