NEurope
Retro_Link

Donkey Kong Country Returns

Edge gave a 7, Destructoid gave a 10. Two rags I place zero investment in, so I guess the balances are restored.

91% on Metacritic

Also, EuroGamer write too well:

This game has the potential to win over a whole new generation, and to do so without eliciting any whinges from those of us old enough to remember the taste of a McRib washed down with Tab Clear.

That review... was filled with too many British references. I hope they realize that Brits aren't the only ones reading their reviews.

My roommate and I went out and grabbed the game at midnight, played around for an hour and now it's bed time

So far we were both enjoying the game heaps. Just... decided to go to bed after our first game over on level 4 haha.

He ended up going with the wii + nunchuck combo, I just went with sideways wiimote... because the classic controller isn't supported :(.

The roll feels very very different than the classic games... definitely will take some getting used to... but it's not bad at all.

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow.

hmmm im torn between my choice for controlling it.

In one way i'd rather no have waggle but then I hate controlling 2 games with an analogue stick.

My roommate and I went out and grabbed the game at midnight, played around for an hour and now it's bed time

So far we were both enjoying the game heaps. Just... decided to go to bed after our first game over on level 4 haha.

So after about an hours play, you only managed to do 3 levels? Were you just messing around or is it that difficult?

So after about an hours play, you only managed to do 3 levels? Were you just messing around or is it that difficult?

Im dubious about these difficulty claims. These are the same muppets who thought NSMB was rock hard, when it was anything but. The secret levels had a few difficulty spikes, but you probably noticed them due to the rest of the game being a cake walk. The same goes for SMG2.

There's nothing wrong with games being easy, hell aslong as it's fun I don't care. What I don't like is reviewers claiming that it's solid but when you get the game, you're kinda scratching your head wondering what in the hell they were going on about.

Im dubious about these difficulty claims. These are the same muppets who thought NSMB was rock hard, when it was anything but. The secret levels had a few difficulty spikes, but you probably noticed them due to the rest of the game being a cake walk. The same goes for SMG2.

There's nothing wrong with games being easy, hell aslong as it's fun I don't care. What I don't like is reviewers claiming that it's solid but when you get the game, you're kinda scratching your head wondering what in the hell they were going on about.

Yeah, I didn't find neither SMG2 nor NSMBWii too hard - of course there were some sections in certain levels that were pretty difficult but it was never a problem because you could easily get almost infinitely many lives. It was hard, though, if you didn't want the Super Guide to appear even once and you tried to get that one Star Coin... Well, I look forward to DKCR, because I actually find DKC1 pretty hard!

Fuck, I'm in love with the 5th track. Who the hell said that this game's original tracks are unimpressive?

Pleasepleaseplease, let this track be used for one of the minecart levels!

Agreed. The 5th track is catchy as hell, im listening to it in bed and my foot is still tapping away. For some reason I get the imagine of the Kongs playing the song with a bunch of instruments in a jazz club. :D

I love what they did to the first track, I had a HUGE smile on my face while listening to it.

I'll probably find the music to be underwhelming. I've just spent the last 4 months listening to the magic that is Kong in Concert.

We were playing coop, and unlike New Super Mario Bros Wii, in this game you share a pool of lives.... and if Diddy dies on you there goes a life. If you fail at barrel blasting... two lives gone.

There's also heaps of secrets and stuff... and well we spent a good deal of time just trying to figure out how to get diddy off of donkey kong's back. (Apparently Z if you're using a nunchuck... if just a wiimote.. i have no idea.)

A lot of my deaths I'd attribute to the roll mechanic being not what I'm expecting. The roll is a sort of boost... and so you end up going (or at least it seems like it) quite a bit faster for the beginning of the roll... then it slows back down to normal speed... so it's weird to get used to.

If you're playing single player, it's HEAPS easier since you get the double jump and such. (diddy jetpack)

The only animal helpers that I know of in this game (I read it somewhere in or on the game or something...) is Rambi and Squacks.

The music has been fantastic so far too, no complaints there... other than them using what seemed like a temple song on a jungle map.... but.. *shrug*

I do miss the kremlings though.

E:/ Also, in my defense for only making it through a few levels last night... I had been drinking and such... sooo I blame that on my failures hahaha.

E2: @ mcj metroid, there's waggle whether you use the nunchuck or not.

Edited by Llama Juice

(Ugh waggle) (Ugh no Enguarde? WTF is that)

But I'm really really really looking forward to this. Doesn't seem fair that its still like...what 12 days away? Practically two damn weeks. I can't even rape it on that Saturday after either due to Londononia.

(Ugh waggle) (Ugh no Enguarde? WTF is that)

But I'm really really really looking forward to this. Doesn't seem fair that its still like...what 12 days away? Practically two damn weeks. I can't even rape it on that Saturday after either due to Londononia.

Well the fact there are no underwater levels would mean his chances of making it as something other than a background cameo pretty darn slim. Then again, they could have had levels where Enguarde swims along the bottom of the screen and jumps out of the water to take out airbourne foes situated over gaps and the like.

No underwater levels? Lolz.

Are you joking or did you honestly not know about that?

That was announced a-g-e-s ago ;)

The only drawback i'm seeing is that you have to waggle to roll, but i'm sure i'll get used to it. Looks fantastic..and i have to wait an extra 22 days at least :(

IMO, the underwater levels were always the weakest, sans the fabulous music, that is.

If we get the music, but not the water levels...

Profit?

I'm still looking forward to it, but it is yet more proof that its not a DKC game. DKC games have Enguarde.

And seriously....the thought of waggling to roll makes me want to violently vomit. I fucking HATE pointless motion controls. I honestly....can't tell you how much I hate them. I completely don't see the advantage or why they would choose to do so. I cannot get my head around it,...just at all.