Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Kinect Discussion

Dante

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they put a big marketing push behind it, they might shift a few bundles to people with too much disposable income based on the novelty factor. At £130, I don't see many existing console owners picking it up as an impulse buy.

For the sake of hilarity, I'm hoping they've sunk virtually all their R&D budget into this instead of a new console.

Edited by D_prOdigy

I doubt it. It already has about 10 games supporting it each month from its release.

September 2010

Sports Champions

Eye Pet

Kung Fu Rider

Start the Party!

echochrome 2 (PSN)

Tumble (PSN)

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 (Electronic Arts)

Toy Story 3: The Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios)

The Lord of the Rings: Aragorn’s Quest (WB Games Inc.)

Brunswick Pro Bowling (Crave)

Resident Evil®5 Gold Edition (Capcom)

Time Crisis: Razing Storm (Bandai Namco)

R.U.S.E. (Ubisoft)

October 2010

Hustle Kings

PAIN (PSN)

TV Superstars

The Fight: Lights Out

The Shoot

High Velocity Bowling (PSN)

Heavy Rain

NBA® 2K11 (2K Sports)

Kung Fu LIVE (Virtual Air Guitar Company)

November 2010

Sly Collection

SingStar Dance

LittleBigPlanet 2

Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos (Crave)

Disney Tron Evolution the Video Game (Disney Interactive Studios)

Fall 2010

Beat Sketcher (PSN)

SOCOM 4

John Daly’s ProStroke Golf (OG International)

Racquet Sports (Ubisoft)

TBA 2011

Sorcery

Heroes on the Move

Killzone 3

And you can play it sitting down. Always a bonus.

Edited by Daft

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like they've sorted the sitting issue. Joystiq tried out the following:

• Sitting in a chair: Definitely works.
  • Sitting on the floor: Works.
  • Reclining while facing the Kinect: Works.
  • Reclining with the Kinect at our side: We couldn't get this to work, but we've been told that it will by launch.
  • Using another human as a coffee table (should have taken photos!): Kinect recognized the person behind the human coffee table trying to control the movie.

• 3 weeks later...
It's not for the hardcore.

Pretty much this. The games are all casual at the moment and I'm struggling to see how hardcore games will use the controller if developers even bother to try.

And in all honesty, the only thing keeping me slightly interested in this is that Child of Eden is compatible with it. No doubt I'll probably use the standard controller for playing the game but I'd love to give it a try with Kinect.

There are no Kinect games I want to play.

Then again there are no Move games I want to play and no Wii games I want to play.

Sums up my situation.

The only games I'm looking forward to really are coming out on the 360 and 3DS.

Kinect could have been really interesting and pushed forward the motion control thing more than we could hope for. Unfortunately Microsoft seem happy to take the idea but not the ingenuity behind it. We've yet to see how Fable 3 will use Kinect (probably just for expressions or something minor) but so far all we've seen are the same kinds of casual games clogging up the Wii game library.

The Kinect features were taken out of Fable 3.

Interesting point: The Wii is the same price in GAME as Kinect will be on its own.

Seriously? Molyneux was all over it though. Well this isn't looking good for mainstream games. Might be a while before we see any games with gameplay that lasts for more than 30 minutes.

And yeah, it is way too expensive.

From what i've heard, there will be a patch coming which will enable the Kinect features in Fable III. Pretty much like the patch for Fable II which allowed multi-player co-op in the game.

It always amused me that sony and microsoft 'came up' with the same idea at pretty much the same time. Industrial espionage, I'd say.

I think it's worth noting the difference in the technology, and the potential applications. MS were fairly keen to stress the interaction with the dashboard and zune which makes me imagine that there's potential to combine gestures with a controller without having to restructure the controller, in case it all flops.

Not sure that makes sense, but effectively once the 'hey let's stand around and look like morons!' market stabilises the money will be made from converting the hardcore, which will require far cleverer ideas - which I think kinect is able to offer as that doesn't require dropping your standard controller.

Not sure that makes sense, but effectively once the 'hey let's stand around and look like morons!' market stabilises the money will be made from converting the hardcore, which will require far cleverer ideas - which I think kinect is able to offer as that doesn't require dropping your standard controller.

Such as some sort of 'adaptive' control method for say an FPS in which you still use your controller to move but with Kinect erm connected... you'd be able to say for instance actually move your head to look around a wall while in cover or use hand gestures to signal orders to A.I team members.

Something along those lines?

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!