NEurope
Dante

3DS Console Discussion

I fail to see how inclusion of a friend code system, which Nintendo loves and said isn't going anywhere, would be indicative of the launch going wrong

Woah woah woah..... I take it they don't mean the system as it stands now?

In particular, I'm very surprised that Tomodachi Connection stayed exclusive to Japan. That had massive potential in Europe, and didn't seem to need as much localisation as something like Dragon Quest IX.
Supposed difficulties with localising the text-to-speech thing was the reason given for it not leaving Japan.

Such a shame though, it looks hilarious:

:cry:

You'll be able to select from three types of play: "quick match," which pairs you up with an opponent instantly, "custom match," which lets finds an opponent based off conditions that you've set, and "friend match", which lets you select an opponent from your friend list. You add players to your friend list by exchanging friend codes.

I won't get all fired up before there is more information on this. Replace per game friendcodes with a single account based one and remove the need to mutually register the codes to add someone and you almost have a perfectly acceptable system. If it's the current system again though - and "exchanging codes" implies at least mutual registration - than they really don't give a damn about a comfortable online system, do they? :mad:

Haha!, if Nintendo has friend codes in this day and age on the 3DS I officially give up on them.

If it's per system and not per game then I don't see any problems with a friend code system. If it's per game...

It's still shoddy, why not just swap a code with a name?

I find it totally absurd that my phone has a better online system than a dedicated games console.

If it's per system and not per game then I don't see any problems with a friend code system. If it's per game...

Yeh.. I'm perfectly happy with friend codes as long as it is per system! I don't really see any reason why that shouldn't be the case!

Region locking is a bummer. It's hard being an RPG fan when everything only gets released in the US or Japan and when the DS comes to the rescue they go and region lock it. I still try to avoid importing when i can but some of the releases Europe misses are awful.

As for the price speculation, i honestly expect it to be £200+

I'm expecting £199.99. I've already paid £20 though and I'll get a further 10% off so a few quid here and there doesn't bother me :D

I went on Play Asia last night and worked out the current price for a DSi in Japan and the UK and it was exactly the same, so the £190 that was converted should be about right.

Edited by Caris

I expect( and won't pay) no more than than 200 euros. I think that works out as something like 170 pounds for ye.

I simply will not pay for anymore, It's unjustifiable. All I want is a DS with better graphics, I don't want a pedometer or any of this extra shit.

I expect( and won't pay) no more than than 200 euros. I think that works out as something like 170 pounds for ye.

I'm in the same boat concerning price. At 200€ I might even consider picking one up at or close to launch. But everything points to a higher price and I don't have hopes for anything below 250€.

At that price I would still want more than a glorified DS however, especially as game prices seem to increase with higher development costs. DS games have been far to expensive at retail around here, IMO. They are usually 35€, no matter what games they are. Given that NSMBW, SMG2 and the likes release at 40€, that makes smaller DS games seem a bit overpriced already.

I won't get it at launch but I expect it to cost 250 euros. I probably won't wait for the second version either since it took two years for the ds lite to come out :( I'm thinking the blue one. The black one looks smelly.

I won't get it at launch but I expect it to cost 250 euros. I probably won't wait for the second version either since it took two years for the ds lite to come out :( I'm thinking the blue one. The black one looks smelly.

Eloquently put, but no. The black one is clearly the best. That blue colour is the worst blue they could have picked. It's knickers blue.

Miyamoto:

But Iwata-san also wants to include 3D video in the future! (laughs)

Iwata:

I think it will be fun if we're able to include video recording capabilities with future updates.

Itoi:

I have no idea, but when you take 3D photos and videos, is there some kind of capacity limit?

Iwata:

An SD card goes in this slot.

Itoi:

Oh, an SD card! Like two gigabytes?

Iwata:

It comes with a 2-gigabyte card, but you can, for example, use a 32-gigabyte one as well.

Itoi:

Oh, okay, I see. So you seriously can take as many as you want.

Iwata:

Yes. Long videos, lots of photos, they'll fit.

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interview.html#/how-nintendo-3ds-made/0/4

Would be awesome if the 3D video recording thing happens. :awesome:

Edited by RedShell

Eloquently put, but no. The black one is clearly the best. That blue colour is the worst blue they could have picked. It's knickers blue.

While there are undoubtedly shades of knickers in the blue, it beats the odorous black. The red one is also superior to the black one :) I wouldn't call any of them good-looking though, that analogue nub thing is an eyesore.

Speaking of 3D video.. they did say the 3DS would be able to play 3D movies didn't they?... Avatar/Toy Story 3 etc... Will these just be downloaded from some online DS store?

Haha!, if Nintendo has friend codes in this day and age on the 3DS I officially give up on them.

Miyamoto will not let you go.

photo11.jpg

Waiting for confirmation of price and launch games before I slap down a pre-order on the 3DS.

Seriously, staff members, if any one you are attending the press event, make extracting information regarding friend codes the priority. Not only would you be bitching awesome for clarification on it, I'd love you long time.

But at the moment, looking at the Japanese launch titles as some form of a basis as to what to expect here, the region locking and the possibly title specific friend codes again, I'm more excited for the Panasonic Jungle right now. Super serious.

While there are undoubtedly shades of knickers in the blue, it beats the odorous black. The red one is also superior to the black one :) I wouldn't call any of them good-looking though, that analogue nub thing is an eyesore.

Why not remove the analog slider completely and just go back to the d-pad, then it can look great again...

Colours can't smell.

I would say I'll definitely get this on launch day, but I have no money. If it comes out near the time I get my grant money then I can think about getting it.

In relation to a possible price point for the 3DS, I noticed some thing that may be a viable basis for the speculation.

Nintendo Wii launch price: 25,000 Yen

Nintendo 3DS launch price: 25,000 Yen

Wii UK launch price: £179.99

If Nintendo are sensible with their pricing, I imagine the price will be in the region of £170~190. It isn't manufactured in Japan, so I imagine they're trading in dollars with the Chinese factories as is usually the case, but the falling value of the pound since the Wii's launch may add a couple dozen quid to the price.

Don't forget that the tax is now higher than it was when the Wii came out, so that makes it £184.50 so I wouldn't be surprised if they rounded it up to £200.

Although they don't have the same excuse in the rest of Europe obviously.

Don't forget that the tax is now higher than it was when the Wii came out, so that makes it £184.50 so I wouldn't be surprised if they rounded it up to £200.

Although they don't have the same excuse in the rest of Europe obviously.

Totally forgot about that, cheers.

I expect £200 for the 3DS, but will be massively disappointed if it's above. They definitely won't be doing themselves any favours.