Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The Confessions and Advice Thread

Beast

I'm the same. I always listened and always learned and did very well in class...but by looking at my grades, you would have thought I dossed about :hmm: but nevertheless, I am proud. As you said, most of the kids who had grades are either with children doing nothing with their lives, acting like complete twats to everyone because they're in university or doing nothing but taking drugs and drinking and whatever. So in comparison, I'd rather have shit grades and be the guy I am today rather than having good grades and being an arse.

So yeah, I will join Wolfy and shout "Screw. Them!" :)

Yeah, but you aren't going to get a well-paid job without a uni degree (without a stroke of luck), especially now that so many people go to uni, and you have to have a better and better CV to get employed.

Of course, getting a well-paid job is by no means the only thing to look forward to in life, but having money just makes everything easier. And more smooth.

Also, it's really flawed to assume everyone takes drugs at university (especially when here at Oxford they have an absolute-zero tolerance policy when it comes to drugs - if they find you with drugs in your possession you get kicked out). To be fair, everyone gets completely plastered most nights, but it's a valuable life-skill to be learned to be able to recover from a hangover quickly and get on with your life, so it's fine.

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, but you aren't going to get a well-paid job without a uni degree (without a stroke of luck)

This is not true.

Also, it's really flawed to assume everyone takes drugs at university

This is.

I never took drugs while at uni.

dudedazz; that's a rather harsh view of students at uni :P

I'm quickly realising that I'm losing the will to argue on these forums because I'm far too aware that everything is connected, thus everything is complicated. I dislike generalisations, and more and more it is clear that nearly everything everyone says is a generalisation.

Even this, I suppose.

Generalisations just signify ignorance.

hehehe, sorry I should have explained, there's like five people who used to be my friends and now they treat me and other people like they're stupid because they're doing courses in university and we were in college. And the whole drugs/drinking thing wasn't about University students, I meant students in my year in school who got brilliant GCSEs didn't do anything but booze and drugs and stuff. I can see why you got confused so my apologies.

I'd love to tell them that I was offered to go to an American University to study Computer Science last year...unfortunately, the costs were phenomenal. I can't remember how much it was but my family offered to pay but I wouldn't let them. The price was way too high.

I'm still proud of myself. I got Graphic Design and Web Design qualifications (Graphic Design is the best for me. Web Design I'm average at though I need one more level and Birmingham aren't doing it no more :hmm:) and a BTEC in IT Practitioners. I need to brush up on my Graphic Design, haha. So yeah, they can shove that in their pipes and smoke it! :D

Edited by Animal

Confession: If I could go round shooting my neighbours and not go to prison - I totally would. I'm sure alot of people have thought about what its like to kill somebody, I sure have!

I think university is incredibly expensive, I'm on the lower side I'll probably leave with about 15k worth of debt in a year and a half. But some have amount debt up to 20k already because of years they didn't like and dropped out etc. If I didn't have such phonomenal support from my family I wouldn't have been able to go to university, I owe them way too much.

I think I'm on about 18K. I dunno. I'm sure they'll let me know soon enough. But I probably won't start paying back in April (I think its usually April the following year you're supposed to start) because I'm not earning enough. Woo, recession!

I think I'm on about 18K. I dunno. I'm sure they'll let me know soon enough. But I probably won't start paying back in April (I think its usually April the following year you're supposed to start) because I'm not earning enough. Woo, recession!

You just start whenever you can actually afford it. It wipes after 25 years apprently, so hold on people.

Not that its a good idea to leave 10k + debt around for 25years or anything..

You just start whenever you can actually afford it. It wipes after 25 years apprently, so hold on people.

Agreed, it never does a lot for your credit score (maybe in the past but not these days) and just having it there would be in the back of my mind constantly.

---

And you can get a decent job without a university degree. I'm in a 15k job at the mo, could be looking at jumping into my bosses job when he goes (which is 18/19k) and you can jump up and up with more experience.

Yeah you might have to do a few qualifications on the way, but there's usually (read: mostly) an opportunity for people with experience. (and a drivers licence!)

I know a lot of jobs in the nhs have options for say a band 5 at 22k; a degree plus 1 years relevant experience, 3 a levels and 2 years relevant experience or 3 years relevant experience.

University is NOT the be all and end all.

(i've learned a lot more in work than i ever would do in a "school" or "lecture" environment.)

Edited by Raining_again

Agreed, it never does a lot for your credit score (maybe in the past but not these days) and just having it there would be in the back of my mind constantly.

---

And you can get a decent job without a university degree. I'm in a 15k job at the mo, could be looking at jumping into my bosses job when he goes (which is 18/19k) and you can jump up and up with more experience.

Yeah you might have to do a few qualifications on the way, but there's usually (read: mostly) an opportunity for people with experience. (and a drivers licence!)

I know a lot of jobs in the nhs have options for say a band 5 at 22k; a degree plus 1 years relevant experience, 3 a levels and 2 years relevant experience or 3 years relevant experience.

University is NOT the be all and end all.

(i've learned a lot more in work than i ever would do in a "school" or "lecture" environment.)

Yeah, I think people seem to put far to much empashis on going to University nowadays, especially with so many graduates ending up working in Spar when they graduate. Not that i'm saying going to uni is a bad thing but so many people seem to go now just for the student lifestyle and not the actual learning. For me it just seemed illogical to go back to school and be left with a big debt for the joy of it. I've definitely learned a lot in the last few years that I wouldn't have done had I went to higher education.

Its only a good thing if you want to be dedicated to learn things that you may not otherwise.

For me I find it abit of a waste because alot of my classes tell me to sit on youtube tutorials, but thats a personally thing, alot of people from uni do end up going to brighter and better things!

If I had the chance to quit uni and not have to pay any money back, I'd quit right now. Heh, heh! Probably re-do it with huddersfield instead.

Yeah I think they start when you are earning at least 15K (and then they take off £5/month or something) but I won't be earning that for at least two years if I go back into education :p

It's more like £7 a week, I think. £5 a month would mean it'd take like 50 years to pay off my debt, which clearly isn't going to happen. Even £28 a month is ridiculously low so I'm sure it's probably not that either, as that would still take forever to pay off.

It's more like £7 a week, I think. £5 a month would mean it'd take like 50 years to pay off my debt, which clearly isn't going to happen. Even £28 a month is ridiculously low so I'm sure it's probably not that either, as that would still take forever to pay off.

Just checked. Once you earn over £1,250/month (or £288/week) you repay 9% of the difference above £1,250 (so if you earn £1,500/month it would be £500). So if you earned just above the minimum (£1292 is £15,500/year for example) you would pay back £3.78 a month.

So it depends what you're earning but I could be right :p (if you earn £15,666/year you'd be paying £5 back a month). But if you did that it would take you 300 years to pay off £18,000 worth of debt :p

Just checked. Once you earn over £1,250/month (or £288/week) you repay 9% of the difference above £1,250 (so if you earn £1,500/month it would be £500). So if you earned just above the minimum (£1292 is £15,500/year for example) you would pay back £3.78 a month.

So it depends what you're earning but I could be right :p (if you earn £15,666/year you'd be paying £5 back a month). But if you did that it would take you 300 years to pay off £18,000 worth of debt :p

And the best part is, when my graduating class took out our loans, we were guaranteed that the interest would stay in line with inflation and we would only ever pay back the equivalent of what we borrowed in the first place.

Then of course, a year later, the SLC decided to change things.

Because I'm on a 5 year course, I'll finish with over £25k of debt. That said, I'll have a degree that should make it very easy to find a job, and in my sector, you're unlucky to start at less that £25K...

Oh, and before anyone says "yeah, I thought that too, but since then the need for psychology (or whatever) grads has gone down loads", I'm a Civil Engineer.

I've definitely learned a lot in the last few years that I wouldn't have done had I went to higher education.

Had I gone into higher education. Real life fail :heh:

Confession (although I'm sure I ranted about this before). I hate that I share a lot of DNA with my brother (and to a lesser extend other flustercluck failures within my family tree) because even though I know we're different people it leaves this lingering fear over what I could become.

Ah well, I deal with it through being awesome.

Because I'm on a 5 year course, I'll finish with over £25k of debt. That said, I'll have a degree that should make it very easy to find a job, and in my sector, you're unlucky to start at less that £25K...

Yeah but tbf, recently the need for computer grads has gone down loads, so you'll be lucky to find anything 20k plus tbh.

Is it actually zero? I heard on the news a while back that they were planning on shafting students and still make them pay some interest?

Post '97 loans are getting shafted because our interest rate is 0%, and it should be negative.

Ashley is right, you pay 9% of everything you earn over 15k. Your employer takes it straight out of your paypacket, along with tax and NI - whether you can afford it or not has nothing to do with it.

Prospects is normally quite good for job descriptions, starting wages, work conditions, etc. You can work out how much you are likely to be paying back when you get a job! Yay!

Edited by Mr_Odwin

I watch Jeremy Kyle, it makes me feel better about myself.

I really don't like the people in my class at college, they are annoying and immature but they really like me, so I feel like a dick. I grin and bare it but I often feel like shooting my brains out when I'm with them.

I watch Jeremy Kyle, it makes me feel better about myself.

My best friend and I do the same but with Maury. It never fails to raise our self-esteem by gigantic amounts after watching. I mean, finding out 15 year old Shanequa sold herself for a cheeseburger just makes me feel amazing about myself.

--

I name things. I write "Mr or Mrs so and so" on objects. Now I can't stop, because I feel said object would feel left out if I didn't. My beloved Mr. Fan broke today. Worst day ever.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!