NEurope
Retro_Link

Metroid: Other M

After just hitting play/pause a bunch of times to see things "frame-by-frame" this is what I observed:

At 0:55 there is a face very briefly, which to me looks like a young Samus.

At 1:05 the purple wiggly thing is surrounded by "space marines" as Samus takes it out.

At 1:14 there appears to be another "cloaked" lizard in the room.

At 1:18 Ridley looks non-mechanical.

At 1:25 the "Remember Me" guy has another member of his force behind him.

At 1:26 Samus is definitely fighting a space pirate.

1:28 sure as hell looks like Mother Brain. Is it killing the Metroid that saved Samus in Super Metroid?

motherbrain.jpg

At 1:41, who's body is that? Adam's?

At 1:48 its hard to tell if Samus is saying, "I am Samus Aran."

I heard "I am sorry Samus Aran"

hmm wonder if she will talk in this one ..

I really think she should.. You can;t keep the silence forver... but she should still be the strong silent type.. and they really have to get her voice right..

Now this was a surprise indeed, love the look of it, hope it plays just as well. I wonder how the different views will be spread, 50/50 or will 3rd person feature more than 1st or vice versa?

One thing I did wonder about though is how the 3rd person will control, it looked awesome but some of it seemed so smooth in how it flowed I kinda got a QTE vibe?

So if Team Ninja are working on Metroid now... what the hell are Retro doing?

Also... anyone else think we got a good chance of a another trilogy?

I still think the movement is going to be more like NIGHTS. There isn't really a scene where you see what looks like a full 3D plane. One dimension always looks guided.

Some tidbits from IGN interview with Reggie:

IGN: What can you tell us about Metroid Other M other than what we saw in the trailer?

Reggie: What I can tell you is that it's going to be fabulous. I've seen it working. I personally didn't have a controller in my hands, but it looks great. And it really is going to do a fabulous job giving you more backstory on Samus, taking you more into the mythology of what Metroid is all about. It's going to be great.

IGN: So this is going all the way back to her teens?

Reggie: We're not going to tell you exactly where it fits in the Metroid mythology. We're going to share that a little bit later. But it definitely fills in some of the gaps.

Some tidbits from IGN interview with Reggie:

So:

• It tells the Metroid Zero Mission manga.
  • It retells Zero Mission and Super Metroid.
  • Leaves out Prime storyline.
  • It tells what happened next.
  • It retells Fusion.

2eeliye.jpg

wrjq0x.jpg

Edited by Retro_Link
Automerged Doublepost

Right. I'm onboard for this!

Looks like Metroid is on track for its second great game... Fusion being the one and only current one. :heh: At first I was curious with the trailer to see what it was gonna be... then thought I just saw Samus... then all the action... and a story too? Well, hell yes, sign me up.

Oh ho ho. If the snowman is interested in this, surely the game must be good?

Surely the prime series proved it would be good either way.

Surely the prime series proved it would be good either way.

you'd think that but snowman has an..... interesting taste in games shall we say :D

So who is the dude that says "Remember me?"

And Team Ninja should make the next Star Fox haha.

Commander Mauk

Is that Crocomire?

Yup!

Samus history accoding to Nintendo's Metriod manga and the Metroid series.

Much of Samus's life and history is a mystery. She was living with her parents, Rodney Aran and Virginia Aran, on the Earth colony K-2L at the age of three; they died, however, in a Space Pirate attack on the colony led by Ridley, while Samus was three years old. She was the sole human survivor of the raid. Eventually, a group of Chozo found her alone (except for her pet Pyonchi) and stranded on the destroyed colony. Old Bird decided to take Samus and her Pyonchi. They brought her to their planet, Zebes, and raised her with Chozo influence. She was infused with Chozo blood (from Grey Voice, though she did not learn this aspect for many years), and later given the powerful Power Suit, built entirely out of Chozo technology. She proceeded to leave the planet, join (and quit) the Federation Police, and eventually became a universally renowned Bounty Hunter.

After becoming the most famed and capable of all Bounty Hunters, succeeding in missions everyone considered impossible, Samus was summoned by the Galactic Federation and given the orders to infiltrate Zebes, the planet she grew up on.

Apparently, Space Pirates had overrun the world.

She had two objectives:

Eliminate the threat of the Metroids, a newly discovered species which the Space Pirates were using for evil purposes, and

Destroy Mother Brain — the "mechanical life form" or "life vein" and central computer of Zebes' ecosystem, which had become the leader of the Space Pirates. According to the manga, Mother Brain once served the Chozo but betrayed them to serve the Pirates as part of its own plans.

Commander Adam Malkovich (previously General Adam Malkovich)

Was the celebrated military genius that served as the only Commanding Officer to Samus Aran during her time in the Galactic Federation. The only information available about Adam is from Samus’s own words and depictions of him. He is described as being gruff, harsh, a perfect military mind, relentless in criticism, but not a machine obsessed with duty. The way he is described suggests that Samus had begrudging respect and admiration for him that has since grown. We first learn of Adam from Samus's soliloquies in Metroid Fusion.

Malkovich has a small role in a few chapters of Metroid (manga), as a commanding officer who arrives after Samus' first mission in the Galactic Federation Police. He allows Samus to investigate Zebes for Chozo survivors before the Federation attacks. He also pilots the Federation Army Special Ops Battleship Vixin IV.

Malkovich would call Samus “lady” during missions and he managed to make it sound dignified where it would seem sarcastic from anybody else. When giving her orders he would end with “Any objections, lady?” The question was rhetorical as he knew she wouldn’t disagree. It was just a phrase to denote their trust.

It is known that Adam sacrificed his own life to save Samus. This may be related to the last time he was seen alive, stalling Ridley to buy Samus more time after realizing that he must be trying to get to Zebes because there is trouble there. Adam presses his crew, who cheers when Ridley's vessel turns away, to fight a seemingly unbeatable foe when the ship was nearing damage capacity.

samussalute.gif

glare.gif

rememberme.gif

ridleyfight.gif

ridleyfight2.gif

etfvdf.jpg

2rdydn9.jpg

motherbrain.gif

15q7k7p.jpg

timetogo.gif

15i15e1.png

Hmm.

Those gifs convince me even more that it's a lot like Ninja Gaiden. Even those (tad annoying) long "Boss pwning you and taking half your health while you can do nothing but sit there" bits are in it.

Swords are replaced by fighting, shruikens have been replaced by the Power Beam, manual 3rs person bow aiming has been replaced by manual 1st person Power Beam aiming, and the block and dodge move looks similar to that dodge move seen above.

So stupidly excited about this game that I actually don't really have anything else to say...

:santa: *awaits metaphorical Christmas* :santa:

Just went back and re-watched it. I hear, "I'm Samus Aran."

That's what I heard.

That's what she said. :heh:

Right. I'm onboard for this!

Looks like Metroid is on track for its second great game... Fusion being the one and only current one. :heh: At first I was curious with the trailer to see what it was gonna be... then thought I just saw Samus... then all the action... and a story too? Well, hell yes, sign me up.

Also... woo! awesome to here that you're on-board for this latest Metroid game Steven :) I still maintain that the Prime series was awesome but this... this has potential to be something else entirely, something beyond any scale that anyone could have previously imagined, I just so hope that Team Ninja / Nintendo deliver with this one.

:o:o:o

:yay::yay::yay:

I came buckets when I saw the trailer. Didn't expect a new Metroid game at all.

Give me a strong Super Metroid vibe.

And that trailer is full of amazing fan-service! The obvious Ridley fight, old-school space pirates, ki hunters (green insect-like ennemies from Super Metroid), Adam Malkovich, Mother Brain, the speed boost (one of my favourite upgrades in 3D! :yay:),... and I'm wondering if the creature at 1:03 is a zeta-metroid (SR-388 surface??).

With the storyline elements we have, my guess is that it's a prequel+remake of older Metroid games (Metroid, Super Metroid and maybe Metroid 2), maybe with a time travel twist added. The older games have a blurry storyline which deserves to be officially clarified (there's the manga which is canon according to various sources and considering the ending pictures of Zero Mission but I'm a little reluctant to consider it like that).

Gameplay-wise, I still can't figure out how it plays (maybe I should wtach some Ninja Gaiden videos) but the hand-to-hand fighting is amazing. I really love how those moves really make Samus look like a powerhouse warrior, which I find she was lacking considering how they portrayed bounty hunters since the first game and compared to the others bounty hunters shown in Corruption. Before that (and apart from cutscenes in Prime games), she just seems to be some soldier with powerful weapons, mainly due to the gameplay style and his limitations. In this trailer, she looks a lot more skilled and threatening.

Looks like a good evolution to me. I just hope there's still exploration involved.

That guy isn't black :blank:

I think the black guy is the dead bounty hunter/GF soldier we can see somewhere in Super Metroid (at the beginning of Tourian I think. Not sure).

i just hope this keeps the fredom of exploration of metroid. ive got a bad feeling it may just be a serise of levels.

I think the black guy is the dead bounty hunter/GF soldier we can see somewhere in Super Metroid (at the beginning of Tourian I think. Not sure).

It was just before Kraid's boss room in Brinstar and I seriously doubt they're going to ever link anyone to that corpse!

People used to have theories about it being Adam and crap.