Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Retro_Link

In an interview from a few months ago they said they hadn't even decided on a visual style for the game.

Although I agree with you that we probably wont see Zelda until 2011, this quote doesn't exactly mean much. For many games the visual style is constantly changed throughout development. It's not always the first thing developers do when making a game.

As for the SMG2/M:OM release date. I'd say it's all about how far both titles are along in development. If we can vouch off Shigsy, then SMG2 has been pretty much done since November 2009. This may not necessarily be true for Metroid: Other M, which may still be deep into development.

Just my 2 cents.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No that would be stupid, we haven't had a TRUE Wii Zelda yet because of the fact they took that cheap and easy route with Twilight Princess.

Twilight Princess is a Gamecube game with Wii controls shoehorned in. None of it was designed around the Wii. Zelda Wii is being designed around the Wii.

It needs to release on Wii to be a good example of what a Zelda designed around the Wii is going to be like. Then a new Zelda can be built from the ground up for a new console and be released at a decent point in the next generation, instead of the ridiculous wait we're getting until a proper Wii Zelda.

No. That would be clever, really clever. Most of the audience don't give two hoots about a games' development; its just a handful of geeks (and i include myself in that statement) who do - it really doesn't matter if a Zelda Wii slips a generation.

The fact is that Zelda TP sold incredibly well - especially when compared to the 360s leading launch title, COD2 (we forget few games on any of the HD machines have matched the LTD sales of Zelda TP)

Nintendo again needs to ensure it creates a large market as quickly as possible; that means their mission needs to be to engage with the casual market with titles like WiiSports, but they also need to better maintain the momentum with the core gamer. Nintendo absolutely needs a major core title for launch, they need to emulate the Wii's launch as best they can and create that large market they promised to the third party this generation; a strong casual-centric title and an established core title - and we know Mario and Metroid are much further along than Zelda, making Zelda the only feasible launch title for any new hardware. Nintendo can't afford to skip a beat this launch; and rolling out a forgotten franchise, like Icarus, is no guarantee of launch success.

I'm not willing to place money on the next Zelda being on next generation hardware, but i'm happy to put my neck on the line and say it would be prudent to do that.

I just really don't want to see them delaying a Zelda title for launch on a new system again. We should have been playing Twilight Princess a year before it released, with a Wii entry subsequently in development afterwards that would've been out by now (probably in time for Christmas 09, filling the empty gap of hardcore Wii games for year end. NSMBWii is considered more of a "bridge" title).

I don't like the approach they've had to Zelda on Wii so far, especially the fact I read that Aonuma wanted to work on a Link's crossbow training 2 instead of a true Zelda Wii but he was encouraged to work on a new entry in the main series instead.

I really don't think it's too good a move for them to move a new Zelda to a new console in all honesty either. At this point they should be trying to right their wrongs and get rid of this "lazy" image they're getting branded with. Porting over a Wii developed title to a successor just to have a key franchise for launch is not going to help that image.

I don't believe a successor will be coming until probably late 2012 by the way so don't think they need any "rush" to have a key franchise ready for launch. They could have like 2 years for a team to work on a brand new Mario for launch for that point.

Edited by James McGeachie

Yeah, but if they release a Wii HD, which is just a Wii, but in HD, and has better online implementation and a more social base (Miis, chat, friends etc etc) then it could be still a Wii game that works on the new Wii HD, which, magically, upscales the game to look a little more beautiful. I would love this to happen. Same method as what they don on the handhelds, and that seems to work amazingly well. Then developers could multiplatform all their big 360/PS3 games, yet the Wii, as a system doesn't die - PERFECT!!!

If a little confusing to the general public....

Guest Captain Falcon
They actually did say they were starting with the Twilight Princess Engine, I'll see if I can find the interview latter.

Well they always start with the engine from the last game and build off of that. None of the Zelda engines were built from the ground up solely for the just the game in question since the original OOT engine was a modified version of Mario 64 one.

So it's not surprising.

They actually did say they were starting with the Twilight Princess Engine, I'll see if I can find the interview latter.

Sure they said "engine" and this isn't the quote about them looking at Twilight Princess as a starting point to where to go for Zelda Wii? That quote wasn't refering to building on the Twilight Princess ENGINE, it was just looking at what they done with TP in terms of game design and coming up with ideas for where to go from there.

Edited by James McGeachie

• 1 month later...

ahaha SONIC playable in Super Mario Galaxy 2:

http://wii.nintendolife.com/news/2010/02/sonic_playable_in_super_mario_galaxy_2

Will Sonic be touring space with his old rival?

UK magazine Ngamer has posted an interesting tweet on Twitter this afternoon, making a rather bold claim that not only comes right out of the left field and has left us all a bit dazed and confused here at Nintendo Life Towers.

We should stress this is currently deep in the realms of rumour territory for now, with no confirmed word from Sega or Nintendo, so please take it with a rather large pinch of salt for the time being.

Here's the Tweet in question:

We've just had some shocking news from an inside source at Nintendo: Sonic will be a playable character in Mario Galaxy 2! Wha?

They sound about as surprised as we are! As always we'll keep you posted if the blue speedster and the world's favourite plumber do indeed join forces outside of the Olympics

Although to be fair Sonic has only appeared in one Nintendo game SSBB and Mario has appeared in two Sega games both the olympics games so Nintendo are due a sonic appearance...

Incredible, I never thought that something could ever put me off Galaxy2, but if that were to happen, it would certainly do it.

You know, I felt like a tart for thinking that, but I'm glad someone else feels the same. Sonic can fuck right off! In 3D, anyway.

The only game(s) we should be playing with him in are those Sonic 4 episodes. :heh:

Guest Captain Falcon

I very much doubt there is any real substance to these rumblings.

Personally, I like Sonic's 3D games for the most part and I don't think it's a given that Nintendo would do a better job than SEGA making a Sonic game - though I would be very curious to see the outcome.

I don't think the game needs it at all but it won't affect my decision for this to be a day one purchase in the slightest.

Incredible, I never thought that something could ever put me off Galaxy2, but if that were to happen, it would certainly do it.

You'd still buy it. (Obviously, this isn't a dig)

I really want to see a large chunk of gameplay for this. If they actually do make it a difficult game I might even have to buy it for a friend.

Edited by dwarf

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!