Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Natal Motion Control/Recognition (360)

Shorty

It was so prepared it was a video, if Peter had any confidence he would have shown right there real time. I'll wait for press hands-on on the Milo thing and even then, it is a very "selective" group of people.

Aye. I was practically shouting "show it now" at the screen.

Well, I was just thinking it. I wasn't actually shouting as that would be sad.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How do you move around?

Duh!... with the contr.... oh wait!

It was so prepared it was a video, if Peter had any confidence he would have shown right there real time. I'll wait for press hands-on on the Milo thing and even then, it is a very "selective" group of people.
Yeah, when she was moving her hands around in the water, I couldn't help but think sometimes the movements didn't match up, but we'll see!

Potential is huge. The games will make or break it.

I can imagine a title coming with a racquet and it being a tennis game and so on. Titles like Boom Blox could also work on this too.

BUT!

It's all about the games. I don't really like the way M$ seem to have most 3rd party devs developing for the 360 yet I really hate exclusivity too. (My personal gripes). But, it's a norm in this industry. A bad norm unfortunately. One which will make SEGA incidents happen all over again in the future.

Talking from experience, Nintendo always have the software to launch something and then (just about!) maintain it. It will be interesting to see if MS have the ability to get the minds of others (apart from Molyneux) making top-tier titles for this device and thus define such a device in the mindset of the non-gaming and gaming public.

Those factors will determine the success of this device. Nice to see something a little different though.

I don't like "casual" games/mini games and all this motion control nonsense at all, but that was quite an impressive demonstration. Milo creeps me out though. I was saying to Happenstance that it's only a matter of time before he becomes self aware and goes all skynet.

Plus the bit about navigating the dashboard amused me. You can waft your arms around to navigate, or you could just press right. I know which one is easier. I could just picture 2 people side by side, one with the new controls and one with a pad. One flailing around, then the person with the pad just pressing a button and looking at the other person like they're a freak.

I can imagine a title coming with a racquet and it being a tennis game and so on. Titles like Boom Blox could also work on this too.

But surely that would be the Wii on Xbox done in a way where everyone doesn't realise they've copied them.

If they're saying this thing is better than Wii then they need to make something different to Wii.

BUT!

It's all about the games. I don't really like the way M$ seem to have most 3rd party devs developing for the 360 yet I really hate exclusivity too. (My personal gripes). But, it's a norm in this industry. A bad norm unfortunately. One which will make SEGA incidents happen all over again in the future.

Talking from experience, Nintendo always have the software to launch something and then (just about!) maintain it. It will be interesting to see if MS have the ability to get the minds of others (apart from Molyneux) making top-tier titles for this device and thus define such a device in the mindset of the non-gaming and gaming public.

Those factors will determine the success of this device. Nice to see something a little different though.

I thought that was why speilberg was there...otherwise made little sense for him to step up on stage...

Plus the bit about navigating the dashboard amused me. You can waft your arms around to navigate, or you could just press right. I know which one is easier. I could just picture 2 people side by side, one with the new controls and one with a pad. One flailing around, then the person with the pad just pressing a button and looking at the other person like they're a freak.

It's waggle controls without a controller, that's how I see it.

this isn't going to work... sigh they have to have the entire system and all it;s games built around this to avoid it becoming just another eyetoy or such..

motion plus at least has support..

im not sure they are going after nintendo though... they have no real reason though.. sony is a treath to both

Edited by mcj metroid

this isn't going to work... sigh they have to have the entire system and all it;s games built around this to avoid it becoming just another eyetoy or such..

motion plus at least has support..

im not sure they are going after nintendo though... they have no real reason though.. sony is a treath to both

why? support will come- not to mention first party releases and retroactive system support.

it's not gonna recognise true 1:1 virtual hands.

That's exactly what this technology is, 1:1 mapping in a 3D space. To what extent Natal will be able to manage this remains to be seen. It does seem that at the very least it's able to discern hand jestures, maybe not sensitive enough for fingers? Theoretically the tech could see and recreate the movement of individual hair strands if it was sensitive enough.

That's exactly what this technology is, 1:1 mapping in a 3D space. To what extent Natal will be able to manage this remains to be seen. It does seem that at the very least it's able to discern hand jestures, maybe not sensitive enough for fingers? Theoretically the tech could see and recreate the movement of individual hair strands if it was sensitive enough.

I'm not even sure it detects hand rotation.

fingers wouldn't really be needed unless someone makes Piano Hero *

*someone should totally fucking make that.

OMG that would be amazing :D

Seriously would that be possible?!

And MCJ Metroid, incase you haven't realised it, they've just shat all over Nintendo. It's not just 'waggle' this time around.

I'm not even sure it detects hand rotation.

It see's everything. One of the intended purposes for this tech is to replace green screen technology in film making, does that give you an idea for how effective it is?

If you imagine your hand as a few thousand pixels and turn it, is the brightness of those pixels changing? That is how this tech works, it picks up variances in brightness. I look at my hand in front of me and the base of my thumb and the tips of my fingers are all brighter than my palm due to them being closer to the light source above my head. From this image one of these cameras would be able to tell how far (proportionately) my finger tips are from my hand in all three dimensions. It can do this for every single "pixel" on my hand, creating a 3D image of that hand. I can turn the hand and the brightnesses change, creating a new image. I change light source and the brightnesses are different but the image (as it's a comparison between the brightnesses on my hand) will be the same.

Have i explaimed it ok? If there's anything i can reword then ask away :)

As others have pointed out in many forums. The whole thing was acted out and in other cases heavily scripted on-stage with flaws. Its still very early. As it is, its an enhanced Eyetoy basically.

Heck Sony demoed EyePet last year and we all know its not going to be that accurate in person as it was at the press conference.

OMG that would be amazing :D

Seriously would that be possible?!

And MCJ Metroid, incase you haven't realised it, they've just shat all over Nintendo. It's not just 'waggle' this time around.

It's possible, though i doubt Natal will be that sensitive. They have to draw the line somewhere otherwise costs would be silly high. MS are likely trying to find the right trade-off between cost and effectiveness, when that comes about they'll release it.

It see's everything. One of the intended purposes for this tech is to replace green screen technology in film making, does that give you an idea for how effective it is?

If you imagine your hand as a few thousand pixels and turn it, is the brightness of those pixels changing? That is how this tech works, it picks up variances in brightness. I look at my hand in front of me and the base of my thumb and the tips of my fingers are all brighter than my palm due to them being closer to the light source above my head. From this image one of these cameras would be able to tell how far (proportionately) my finger tips are from my hand in all three dimensions. It can do this for every single "pixel" on my hand, creating a 3D image of that hand. I can turn the hand and the brightnesses change, creating a new image. I change light source and the brightnesses are different but the image (as it's a comparison between the brightnesses on my hand) will be the same.

Have i explaimed it ok? If there's anything i can reword then ask away :)

That didn't really answered my question, and do you actually have inside knowledge of it? Not to mention all the usability problems and the price of a ultra hi def cam.

zvzcxi.gif

I wan't that impressed at all by it; I don't understand how "hardcore" 360 oweners diss the wii for the controls but can be excuted about this, at least with the Wii there's still something tatile about it. That awfully performed, blatantly scripted video made it completely unappealing to play games in that way.....people dont like the wii wheel because it isn't attached....imagine holding on to thin air!?? This seems like a complete and utter gimmick to me, exactly like the eye toy...granted, a pretty exceptional eye toy. Now I actually like the occassional gimmick so for some software I think it will be a lot of fun, but in no way is this competition for the Wii, completely different.

I will say that some of the 'social' stuff it can do looks okay and it'll have some funky features. But I'm not convinced it will be used as an effective method of control. In fact I couldn't be more certaint of it not!

It would have to ship with the next console and there would have to be a decent number of games supporting it for it to become popular.

As it is, its probably going to be $100 to buy judging by the price of other 360 accessories, very few developers are going to use it, as it will probably be difficult to program for. Games using it exclusively are probably going to have a very limited market. It will get tired quick if they don't implement it perfectly.

Some chavs were watching the video of it during a class I had today in a computer lab. It was rather funny seeing their reactions. Most of them couldn't wait to play Halo 3 with it, I'll put it that way.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing Gametrailers E3 followup stuff even more now.

Edited by Emasher

Finally tracked down a video of the Milo thing. Not too interested in the other Natal stuff they showed but really wanted to see this. And I'm glad I looked it up because that was phenomenal. Really, if that was all real and not just one of Molyneux's dreams that'll never come to fruition then that is unbelievable. There were bits with the hands in the water that didn't completely map together, like people have said, so I don't know but everything else worked together that it'd be too hard to rehearse that kind of thing, surely. Looking forward to hearing the thoughts of those who get to try it behind closed doors.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!