NEurope
Shorty

Natal Motion Control/Recognition (360)

Natal:

Motion Control without the controller (using a camera)

Full body motion control

Face recognition technology

More on Kotaku

Edited by Shorty

That was the only thing for me worth watching the conference for (I dont care about MGS).

Still, I very much doubt I would ever use something like that if I got a 360 again

This just in, according to fanboys, motion sensing suddenly turned hardcore.

I don't think this is going to catch on like the Wii-mote. It's just not going to work that well.

I'm still not convinced. Surely it's all some massive late April Fools?

Still, sounds like the 360 may be around for a while.

It's not hard to imagine all sorts of problems with the voice recognition.

Sony and Nintendo just got their arses torn to shreads...

What? I thought it was ok but i have doubt about going against Wii as cameras are more prone to innacuracy. The gestures here seemed more natural but also simple.

For hardcore i think the Wii may be the more obvious choice.

So in order to use this I need to have a massive room to play it in.

Even if my bedroom was completely empty except for my tv and Xbox I wouldn't have enough room for this.

It all looks too good to be true.

Milo looked incredible and the picture thing was pretty amazing.

natal looks nuts :o

as shorty said i love how it signs you in automatically

also loved on the clip where it showed a girl playing a racing game that she changed a gear like on a normal car

loved the lionhead studio thing about "meeting milo"

looking at that its one of those "too good to be true" things defo. just hope its as good as what was shown then

I think it looked completely ridiculous. I mean pretending you have a skateboard and having to jump around like that? Are they having a laugh? Technology wise it's amazing, but I couldn't be arsed with all that crap.

I can totally see this happening across many a message board :D

This looked insane. Dunno if any of you above saw the conference but it looked like it actually worked as opposed to the Eyetoy and indeed the Wiimote sans Wii Motion Plus.

The real test will be when the press get their hands on it, though. I'm sure we'll see how this measures up in a few days. For now, consider my mind blown.

Better than Wii Music though :p

I was in complete shock and awe when she gave Milo the piece of paper.

I missed all that cos my feed decided to freeze...

Personally think its great at the end of the day its something extra that the 360 is going to offer its not going to replace the controller but offer an alternative to accessing parts of the xbox experience.

To me, motion sensing was never non-hardcore, it was the way most Wii games under-utilised it, cashing in on an overused system creating streams of average games instead of coming up with great games first, and the controls after.

Not to say that this won't become a novelty the same way, if the 360 starts producing masses of WiiFit, Wii Sports, Wii Music and party style games, I won't be interested at all, I'll sit down, turn on my pad and play some Left4Dead 2.

It's not hard to imagine all sorts of problems with the voice recognition.

Like people walking in and shouting pause when you're watching something or even worse telling it to shut down?

I really liked the look of when she was swishing her hands in the water. So pretty.

To me, motion sensing was never non-hardcore, it was the way most Wii games under-utilised it, cashing in on an overused system creating streams of average games instead of coming up with great games first, and the controls after.

Not to say that this won't become a novelty the same way, if the 360 starts producing masses of WiiFit, Wii Sports, Wii Music and party style games, I won't be interested at all, I'll sit down, turn on my pad and play some Left4Dead 2.

Which you should be doing on a PC.

The technology is very impressive, although to say I'm sceptical of the viability of Lionhead's game would be a massive understatement. Let's face it, there is no way Milo is going to respond as well as presented over any length of time.

For simple Arcade titles and peripheral applications it looks like Natal will be excellent, but it's not something you could use to play more complicated titles like Conviction or ODST. As a piece of companion technology it looks very cool, though.

Peripheral companies will have a field day with this I think. They want to get rid of the controller but playing a driving game with nothing in your hands, or a Red Steel sword type game with nothing in your hands won't be as immersive as I think they make it out to be.

Bring on Madcatz and a truckload of gun, sword, wheel, etc, peripherals.

Sony and Nintendo just got their arses torn to shreads...

Sony might surprise you..it's my beloved Nintendo i'm worried about...jeeeeez they have to pull out quite a show to top that.