N-Europe

Shouting in music

Guest Jordan

Guest Jordan

I have to ask, am I the only person who doesn't get shouting in music?

"RAAARRRRRR WARRR RARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR".

Urgh. Keep doing it, you'll fuck your vocal chords eventually.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, I agree with you. I find it can very rarely be put to some sort of decent effect but otherwise it could just be sung a hell of a lot better!

Well, music conveys emotion, and shouting is something we all do when we're angry (an emotion). So in that sense it kind of makes sense. I do, however, think that people who can only convey anger with shouting are piss poor musicians.

You hit the nail on the head when you said "I don't get it" :P

If you're singing "you stole my heart with a lip stick dagger" like some robbie williams or something the song sounds cheesy and forced and.. laaame. If you're shouting it (which, when done properly, actually takes some skill and control, but I'll let O_W/Bardie Boy go into that, for I know no terms) then it immediately portrays a different emotion.

Rather than stating "i hate you", shouting it at someone surely conveys to them that there's more than just words to that statement?

What our grandparents used to complain about wasn't the shouting or the screaming of our day, but the random "a-hur-huh!" type noises that punctuated early rock music. It seemed unnecessary and arbitrary... but that's just because they didn't understand the music - hell, they couldn't understand their own reaction to what they were hearing.

The only metal gig I went to was Meshuggah, and it felt like the guy "singing" was "singing" with us, not for or at us. Hard to explain, but... yeah. Hope that helps.

In music where shouting is often found, like a lot of metal, it usually sounds awful and ridiculous. But then so does a lot of metal. There is some good stuff out there I've heard though.

Shout can work in normal music, but not just...random...shouts. More like an angrier way of singing something. Tori Amos is an example. It's built-up to though. Bjork too. But then her voice flows into the loud bits well, so it's fine.

I don't like the shouting in metal music so much, but i do like 'throat singers', used alot in post hardcore music or whatever the hell you want to call it (often mistaken for emo, which is so wrong i dont even want to get into it). Alexisonfire and Atreyu are my favourites, and good examples. A lot of these bands also mix sing melody as well so you get the best of both worlds :)

But yeah, 'i hate you' songs from hardcore metal bands dont go down well with me. The music in GTA IV Lost & Damned for example, in the second safehouse... man that shit is awful. I hate it.

It all depends on the band though and the tone of the shout as i do like some metal bands, mainly from the nu-metal era though - S.O.A.D, Drowning Pool, Disturbed etc.

I find it rather overdone and tedious, just like you get lots of people who think they can sing properly and really well etc, you get just as many people who think they can shout properly and really well etc. It has its place, and usually I find that's when it's done with some semblance of tunefulness underneath, not just shouting lots and lots as loud/screechy as you can. I know some people like that, I personally just do not. More often than not, it also ruins what could otherwise be a pretty good song for me, ugh.

Think it mostly sounds good in the right context.

Shite like Falloutboy doing it is just ridiculous but stuff like early Avenged Sevenfold the screaming is pretty good, ditto with stuff like System of a Down.

That's screaming though, Jesse from brand new tends to do a kind of melodic shout if that makes sense but it really is brilliant from an emotional point of view.

brand new - Okay I believe you but my tommy gun don't.

Genius build up towards the screaming. Totally necessary.

My fav Brand New song. :)

He does the same on "The Quiet Things that No One Ever Knows".

Edited by Dante

brand new - Okay I believe you but my tommy gun don't.

Genius build up towards the screaming. Totally necessary.

he screams more on that album and the previous 1, I'm more referring to the new album where it's a sort of shout. Sowing Season for example.

I agree; shouting does have its place in some music, but not others. For example in some metal, some drum & base and other alternative type music stuff it can sound quite good. However, in folk, reggae, trance, chillout, acoustic and most classical it wouldn't really go.

Generally though, no pointless throaty screaming in the metal sense ain't my bag (with a few exceptions along the way).

he screams more on that album and the previous 1, I'm more referring to the new album where it's a sort of shout. Sowing Season for example.

Sowing season was more about unintelligable screaming, yah :P Doesn't happen as much so I didn't think it was as good an example. Been prepping for the gig in a couple of months and I don't have tdagarim on my laptop... noooo

It depends what you're into. If you had something by the Righteous Brothers, and then added some shouty vocals into it, it would just sound awful.

I think the vocals only make up a small part of the song itself. I'll mostly connect with the music itself, at least with the majority of my favourite songs. But, I think I do like having a distinguishing voice. Someone like Thom Yorke, for example. He's got a very specific voice, and it's just what I like.

For shouty, the most I actually go for would be...something like Rage against the Machine. I just like my stuff to sound a certain way. As do most people.