Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Carol Thatcher axed from bbc.

Portlett

I don't care what she did or what she said, she's far too hot to not be on TV. HER SMILE HYPNOTISES ME! The amount of useless information about local bakers, light bulbs, old people and mustard I know thanks to the promise of her face... arg.

Day ruined. MInd you, there's always the new Carol Vorderman girl on countdown.

I think I'm turning into an old lech. Shit.

I'm glad you've mentioned the Countdown Girl. Me and my family see totally eye to eye about this subject.

She is employed to stand there, pull numbers and letters from various places (not from her skirt, I mean the board), and...to just say them.

But, my God, she is awful. Every single letter, every single number has my balls cringing with a twist.

"Beeeee."

"Eeeeeeeeee"

"Quuuuuee."

Shut up! Just pull out the numbers, or letters, and just say them like you normally would. I know she's trying to put loads of effort into it, and she's got a lot to live up to, being the successor for The Vorderman.

But, still...she can't fucking speak. Nor can she stand. She slouches!

The two main criteria for taking on her job was the ability to stand and speak. She can't do either. What the fuck?!

Sorry, I just miss The Vorderman.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the sounds of things, she really didn't mean it in an hugely offensive manner, though she should have probably realised what she was saying, and phrased it differently.

However, the fact that this wasn't aired on TV just takes the piss. Seriously, BBC (and everyone for that matter) are being way too over-cautious these days. If she'd said it while they were on air, I would have understood more. It's not like she'd say something like that on TV ffs!

I blame GTA IV, everything else seems to be blamed on this particular game.

Golliwog was a type of doll, how can this word be racist? A word for a product surely cannot be racist. Once again, we see the media making a song and dance over something so petty.

Golliwog was a type of doll, how can this word be racist? A word for a product surely cannot be racist. Once again, we see the media making a song and dance over something so petty.

Golliwogs were dolls which were made to look like the stereotype 'Black Minstrel' image of black people, which is racist if you look back on it now. That and the guy looks nothing like a Golliwog, making it seem like she was saying he looked like one just because he was black.

Have to say, this woman is out of her damn mind to say something like that. You say one thing that can be considered racist these days and you are bent over and screwed. If you're not aware of this and you are somewhat famous then you need your head seeing to.

The two main criteria for taking on her job was the ability to stand and speak. She can't do either. What the fuck?!

Third citerion is to look pretty, and she does it well. And 1 outta 3 ain't THAT bad.

It's a racist comment because the golliwogs themselves are deemed relics of a by-gone era, where everyone thought wrong and now we want to make our culture forget all about it, so any charm or innocence must be sucked out of everything we mean.

Ah, fuck it. Where is Gregory House when you need him?

What's the story behind "black minstrels"?

I know what they look like but I don't know the background or where they come from.

I think it was a popular form of entertainment in America 1800's to about the early 1900's with white people dressed up with black faces and they did dancing. Though I think it survived into the 1960's it was then cut out when of course new laws where introduced and such.

Also something to do with Jump Jim Crow which was a song/dance done by Thomas Dartmouth who sort of started the whole thing as he did it with this blackface. I'm trying to remember some stuff from last years History AS. :p

The whole thing was based on taking the fool out of Black people.

I'm glad you've mentioned the Countdown Girl. Me and my family see totally eye to eye about this subject.

She is employed to stand there, pull numbers and letters from various places (not from her skirt, I mean the board), and...to just say them.

But, my God, she is awful. Every single letter, every single number has my balls cringing with a twist.

"Beeeee."

"Eeeeeeeeee"

"Quuuuuee."

Shut up! Just pull out the numbers, or letters, and just say them like you normally would. I know she's trying to put loads of effort into it, and she's got a lot to live up to, being the successor for The Vorderman.

Weird I was just thinking about her and was like I want what Flinky thinks of the new Countdown Girl? :)

I like although she is a bit useless, she keeps dropping the letters and I've never seen her get the numbers on the first go! but she looks cute while doing it. :p You would feel really bad if you fired her seriously. @____@

I have no real problem with her I think she has still got them nerves. The new guy makes me feel uncomfortable he is a bit smarmy!

Also I EXPLODED when I first the new look. The amount of blue they use is OVERBEARING! it was pianful to my eyes. I've grown use to it now but it feels very cold.

Evil as she surely is (not that I have any proof other than her second name) I felt a bit sorry for her. It was one remark. A bad one, but still. The sack for one remark just seems harsh, as if the BBC were trying to prove a point in doing it.

-BBC person: How can we distract from the Gaza appeal?

- Next person: Let's sack Thatcher for racism. We shall regain the moral high ground my good man.

-BBC person: Genius!

I think it was a bad thing to say but the BBC's reaction seems a bit kneejerk that's all =P

It's ok EEVIL, bumlove later.

You'll be lucky.

Day ruined. MInd you, there's always the new Carol Vorderman girl on countdown.

Most plowable.

I say Flinky, you must give this woman some time to get accustomed to what she's doing. I bet Carol was pretty wank when she started. I saw her get the numbers right on the first try today. One thing which grates is how she has to slot the numbers, then 'push' them down.

Also, I can't help but feel she'd be hotter with longer hair.

The new host I didn't think I was going to like, but he's starting to grow on me. I love how he doesn't always say "Here's the clock" like O'Connor kept doing, man I wanted to pimpsmack him. In a bad way.

I have to say, Tsonga is a damned ugly man. When I watched him play in Shanghai this year, the first thought in my head was "Damn, that guy looks like an ape."

Which he does.

But anyway, I really don't feel that this should come as a surprise to anyone. Not in the least because it's Carol Thatcher and because the BBC are at least partially responsible for the obscenely PC climate we live in.

Hmm, I just feel the need to actually throw in pictures for comparison here, cos I slightly feel it destroys the defense that what she said had some actual merit(I for the life of me cannot see any similarities, beyond them both being black).

golly.jpg8.jpg2093623193_37dbc5516f.jpg

416px-Tsonga_Australian_Open_2009_2.jpg

Actually, they are both looking sideways come to think of it.

Hmm, I just feel the need to actually throw in pictures for comparison here, cos I slightly feel it destroys the defense that what she said had some actual merit(I for the life of me cannot see any similarities, beyond them both being black).

golly.jpg8.jpg2093623193_37dbc5516f.jpg

416px-Tsonga_Australian_Open_2009_2.jpg

Actually, they are both looking sideways come to think of it.

Looking at those pictures again, they really don't look similar at all. Infact, Eenoo looks more like Golliwog, and she's female. And white. Hmm, now is that racist? I dunno, ask Thatcher, she'll tell you. Or, maybe she won't.

Hmm, upon closer inspection, the guy has similar kinda eyes to the picture in the middle. In the sense that the eyes are looking the same way.

"Beeeee."

"Eeeeeeeeee"

"Quuuuuee."

I'm with Flink on this one, the new letters and numbers girl cannot seem to grasp the concept of speaking properly. One of the shows i watched, she botched her maths up (she was out by 20 i think).

Gee, no wonder the Old dears in nursing homes and around the country are complaining and turning off.

I think it was a popular form of entertainment in America 1800's to about the early 1900's with white people dressed up with black faces and they did dancing. Though I think it survived into the 1960's it was then cut out when of course new laws where introduced and such.

Don't think it was outlawed, more like in post-slavery America people were slightly uncomfortable watching white guys with blacked up faces and huge painted-on lips dancing round shouting "Ooooohh lawdy boss, I be da funny negro! Oh been dem workin' dem feilds yes siree, an now ahma do mah funny negro dance for da white mamas and eat me some watermelon, mmm-hmmmm!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minstrel_show

Minstrel shows lampooned black people in various ways: as ignorant, lazy, buffoonish, superstitious, joyous, and musical.

This has been timed with the new royal fiasco. Basically a royal's gift shop in Sandringham (I think anyway) has been found to be selling these 'Golliwogs' at £10.

Nothing will be done about them, but because its Thatcher's daughter, she's out of there!!!!

Although to be fair, Ron Atkinson was kicked out for being racist even though it was a private conversation wasn't it?

That shit about the royal gift shop selling Golliwogs, well, I don't see why that has to be any sort of issue. Selling golliwogs surely isn't racist, or controversial, is it?

As for the issue of this, well, I half said to myself it was a private conversation and so it's still bad but kind of not bad, but upon talking with my mother I agree with the bbc's view that it WASN'T really a private conversation. It was in the green room of a show where guests to the show/organisation had been, she is there in a professional capacity and this is a definite serious lack of professionalism. If any of you did it in public, in your place of work in front of people you don't really know, well, I should hope/imagine it'd be taken very seriously there, too.

I think that's just plain silly! A golliwog in its own and original intent, being sold as such, well I see little wrong with it! I do in a very tiny part of me still feel like it's a minisculey bit wrong, but it's no big deal that it's happening, and if it wasn't in a royal gift shop(as im sure they are, being sold out there in shops somewhere) then it wouldn't matter. That is media, jumping on this thatcher thing and having a go at the royalty again.

The paki incident with Prince Harry, well, I find the word paki as bad as nigger or negro, I think it's lost its 'proper' use nowadays(though I realise it isn't quite the same as nigger or negro originally). One thing I did find quite amusing about that blog was the Andy Murray thing, which I would actually agree with, and my very own mum said earlier when we was talking about it lol.

Also, is it just me, or does anyone else find the actual golliwogs quite cute in themselves? Been looking into them cos of this Robertson's jam thing, and he looks so happy and cheery! I kind of want one! What we really need to know regarding these fiascos, is the intent behind things(though innocent intent isn't neccessarily ok, imo).

EDIT: Best thing I can find in her defense, and bloody hard to! Tennis Golly!

miller%20tennis.jpg106b1.jpg50a1.jpgDOBE891.jpg

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!