N-Europe

France

navarre

France. Love it, hate it, despise it or resent it, it exists. It is below us (geographically before you start throwing francophobic allegations around!) in Europe and is a pleasant little country to visit for a few days (can't risk anymore than that unless it gets invaded).

So, France is a member of many things. The UN (who isn't?), the EU (proud to be European!), the WTO, WHO, and La Francophonie (depite the majority of Francophonie countries not having French as a main language). They also begged us for Commonwealth membership in the 1950s, but our facist prime minister declined their offer.

Despite many defeats in their history (and more or less giving up completely in WW2), France is persistent in it's military. Currently having around 5 troops in Afghanistan (can't risk being invaded), and their own nuclear weapons, France is well 'ard. They're also part of the UN Security Council, seeing as they want to join our gang of seriously well 'ard countries.

But, and here's the twist- ever been to France? Perhaps you've got photos of that tall tower or seemingly endless locations where France was invaded you'd like to share with us all? Or perhaps you're of French heritage yourself, in which case I'd like to congratulate you on your worldly influence. Your language is spoken by around a hundred people outside of France, your wine is better than the Germans', and your history is forever a famous joke amongst Americans and the British alike. I'm not sure I'd have gotten through last year without the inessecant dinner table mockings.

Bravo.

Viva la France!

I'm going to Paris with the missus next week...don't put me off, Im already worrying cos I really struggle to speak french, foreign languages never been my thing, so will just have to walk everywhere with my phrase book...

They all speak English anyway...

Well, mostly...

Well, sort of...

France is a beautiful country. The French tend to come across arrogant but only because that is the way their language translates into English. I know a few French people and they are lovely.

At at the end of the day they have had a marvellous influence on food and food culture around the world. Fair play!

I like france, I hate paris just as much as I hated barcelona. People are rude and ignorant but it's a major city what do I expect.

I prefer more the south and middle of france, where you can go to the vineyards and go underneathe them and learn all about champange, it sounds boring, but it's not and there's so many tunnels and things to know! All the little towns also, not somewhere I'd live personally, but for a holiday, to get away it's like heaven.

I also like places like oradour, an awful and sad place, but something that should never be forgotten.

Then the traffic, france flows so much better than we do, they actually know how motorways are supposed to work, something that was really striking for me when I went last year to Disneyland paris. The police actually stop people for speeding too or for generally being daft and their system WORKS!

To france is somewhere I'd be more than happy to visit when my parents retire there, for the most part it's peaceful and people aren't as snotty as people seem them to be.

I like France, it reminds me of happy times. =)

Been there many a time to go to Disneyland, and also visited Paris a couple of times already. Love that city.

I think I've only been outside of Paris once on a holiday, and I was reallllly young then so don't remember much from it other than it being nice. Wouldn't mind going back there someday. =)

Maybe it does help though that my French is pretty decent, even after all those years of not using it.

It is below us (geographically before you start throwing francophobic allegations around!) in Europe

Okay but...

and is a pleasant little country to visit for a few days (can't risk anymore than that unless it gets invaded).

Moving on.

I like France. Been there once a few years ago. I wish to go back at some point.

Nearly the first time I step into "General chit chat" but I was lured by this thread. I couldn't but come reading the atrocities and clichés you write here.

The French tend to come across arrogant.

Paris is not France. :wink:

nightwolf speaks the truth. People are a lot more friendly outside of Paris. I don't like Paris either TBH.

They also gave us Montreal which is full of amazingly attractive French Canadian women, who also have the great accent

:D The accent from Quebec is really strange and funny when you're french. I wouldn't call it lovely TBH.

I gotta go now. I have to take my monthly shower (after removing the frogs we raise in the bathroom to eat).

I like france, I hate paris just as much as I hated barcelona. People are rude and ignorant but it's a major city what do I expect.

I prefer more the south and middle of france, where you can go to the vineyards and go underneathe them and learn all about champange, it sounds boring, but it's not and there's so many tunnels and things to know! All the little towns also, not somewhere I'd live personally, but for a holiday, to get away it's like heaven.

I also like places like oradour, an awful and sad place, but something that should never be forgotten.

Then the traffic, france flows so much better than we do, they actually know how motorways are supposed to work, something that was really striking for me when I went last year to Disneyland paris. The police actually stop people for speeding too or for generally being daft and their system WORKS!

To france is somewhere I'd be more than happy to visit when my parents retire there, for the most part it's peaceful and people aren't as snotty as people seem them to be.

This is why I love you Nightwolf - your smarts and beauty alone make you such a perfect catch....

I lived in France earlier this year as some of you will already know. Having experienced it first hand, I can say that it's an excellent country and as much as it pains me to say it, I believe it to be a much better country than the UK. Things over there just work better. I can't believe that you found the people in Paris rude though Nightwolf, I worked in a company for 6 months and I don't believe I've ever met friendlier people.

In my opinion, it's here that you find the ignorant and rude people. We feel superior for no real reason. People here lack manners - in France, just entering a lift in which someone else is already in, means you should say hello (or bonjour for the purpose of this conversation). If you don't do so, you are considered a very rude person! I consider this to be good etiquette! People don't do that here, instead we all just give each other an uncomfortable stare and appear snobby. Sure these are generalisations but I think they're pretty evident ones.

All I can say is tough luck on the rest of ya - once I graduate, I'll be able to move across there and get a job dead easy and live it up in a fine country and hey, if it all goes pears up, I can move to Germany, or back to the UK!

Been to Paris a couple of times. Nice place. It's like Porto with the priorities in the right place (although I still like the Douro more)

Also, it didn't take long until we found a Portuguese emigrant there.

I suppose I could live well in France (after brushing up my french). Not Paris, though. It's a bit too much for me. Maybe a smaller place.

And as for the stereotypes, I find British (and even Spanish) people to be way more arrogant/snobbish than them.

The food they consider pr0 is over the top, but the other shizzle is awesome?

That kind of food is a bit elaborate, and maybe a bit too much for some people. The fish was probably talking about their simpler stuff, which is good as well (except the water. Don't they have any mineral water there?)