N-Europe

I think Final Fantasy VII is very much overrated as well.

Overrated? Yes.

Very good game? ...Yes.

LOL, now that's what I call incorrect expectations! ;)

Nah. It was the proper expectations to have. Rare dropped the ball with it. :heh:

Edited by darksnowman

Guest Captain Falcon

I always thought DK64 got a bit of a hard time by the masses. It has some pretty obvious flaws but overall, I found enough to like in it. Despite the heavy pop up, the graphics were good (though it's difficult to tell what exactly the expansion pak was doing since we saw better looking games without it) with some nice lighting effects to boot. The animation on the main characters was also fantastic.

And I thought the music was impressive too. Just how in Banjo, the hub music would alter as you got closer to a stage entrance, this game also featured dynamic music, but in the levels too.

Some of the levels, particularly Gloomy Galleon, had an incredible atmosphere.

Perhaps I'll go back to MM once I've finished Wind Waker again. The discussion here makes me want to finish it.

Just one question though. I'm in the snow/goron dungeon right now. If I go back to the first day. I assume I'll need to start the dungeon over, but will I be able to go straight to it, or will I need to do all the pre-dungeon stuff again?

Since you have the Goron Lullaby, you don't have to worry about rescuing the elder again. You should be able to just warp to the owl statue, play the tune to make the big Goron fall asleep and roll right on up to the entrance.

LOL, now that's what I call incorrect expectations! ;) Seriously, I still think Donkey Kong could work in 3D. Jungle Beat had exactly the right idea (although it was 2D) - Donkey Kong as this simple, brutish ape (though not evil, obviously).

They need to make a really good, fluid 3D engine where Donkey Kong can run, swing and climb, fighting evil gorillas, crocodiles and other beasts! This is one game that doesn't need to be a collect-a-thon!

Everyone seems to have forgotten that Miyamoto himself confirmed that a Donkey Kong game was in the works for the "Revolution" in 2005.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/news080605donkeykongrev

I don't know, maybe he pulled the same trick as Aonuma did with Zelda Revolution in 2005, and it's actually Donkey Kong Jet Race? (...)

Overrated? Yes.

Very good game? ...Yes.

No, not even that.

I think it's "meh". It didn't age well, and the story was confusing even back then.

Also, considering the graphic limitations, who at Square thought having Hojo fiddling with his fingers was a good idea? :heh:

No, not even that.

I think it's "meh". It didn't age well, and the story was confusing even back then.

Confusing story is the norm for most modern RPG (and especially FFs). The developpers start the story just having the main elements in head and end it in a confusing and rushed way with some pseudo-philosophical bullshit they don't even understand themselves to hide the lose ends and making it look like an intelligent plot.

Anyway, I loved playing FFVII but find it overrated too ... but considering the amount of blind fanboys, it's obviously overrated. No need to play the game to understand that.

Thought i post my predications for GDC in here as there isn't a thread!

1) Professor Layton Wii

2) WiiWare Zelda

3) Luigis Mansion 2

4) Wii Hard Drive shown

: peace:

Looking forward to GDC this year..for all formats, not just Wii...obviously these are just predications (so i get bragging rights if one comes up! woop! haha) but i'm telling myself Nintendo won't announce anything remotely outstanding so i'm not dissapointed like i always am..haha

Confusing story is the norm for most modern RPG (and especially FFs). The developpers start the story just having the main elements in head and end it in a confusing and rushed way with some pseudo-philosophical bullshit they don't even understand themselves to hide the lose ends and making it look like an intelligent plot.

Anyway, I loved playing FFVII but find it overrated too ... but considering the amount of blind fanboys, it's obviously overrated. No need to play the game to understand that.

Still, I believe FFVII overdid it:

Sephiroth died all those years ago, but he's not quite dead, and what exactly happened with Cloud's mind wasn't clear...

By the end, we start fighting mutated Sephiroths for no reason, and then the game's over, without a proper ending.

I mean, implausible final battles (and locations of said battles) usually happen in RPGs, but FFVII takes the cake. A decent ending would've sufficed, IMO.

I'm currently playing through Final Fantasy VII on the PS2. This is the first time I've played it - I've always wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

To be perfectly honest, it's a bit of a chore. The battles are slow and frustrating, the characters that are trying to be oh-so-cool are annoying and the directional controls in the field drive me up the wall.

However, it's easy to see why the game was critically praised at the time. The graphics and presentation are outstanding, there are tons of side-quests, secrets and titbits to discover and it retains an epic feel about it.

I would agree with darksnowman on this one. Overrated, but still very good.

Urgh.... you guys should see (but don't buy for the love of god) some of the detritous that I'm having to play for reviewing. Just finished up with Jeep Thrills and More Game Party and really they're both awful. More Game Party was at least slightly better and I enjoyed the Quarterback Challenge mini-game that it had even though it was pretty limiting.

Can't complain too much though as they're free games so it's a plus and when I've finished with them, I'll use them to help procure MadWorld and Dead Rising (the latter because it can be worked into a gore review feature).

This has probably been brought up before but with the Wii struggling in Japan, Nintendo's biggest money making franchise needs to be unleashed.

Why not give Square Enix permission to make a pokemon rpg for the Wii.

They could do a Kingdom Hearts type of game.

It would be a win win situation for both parties with it probably selling millions on its first week alone and in the process creating a new gaming franchise.

A lucky Club Nintendo member has received his shiny golden Wii wheel in the mail. See it in the open inside.

Members who have earnt enough points can claim the mighty golden plastic wheel - it's purpose? Pretty much the same as your standard Wii Shell, but with a lick of golden paint to be the envy of your racing buddies.

pxju0mghnmolkrl.jpg

goldwheel2.jpg

goldwheel3.jpg

Just one question though. I'm in the snow/goron dungeon right now. If I go back to the first day. I assume I'll need to start the dungeon over, but will I be able to go straight to it, or will I need to do all the pre-dungeon stuff again?

Just a quick tip: don't forget to play the Song of Time backwards to slow time down. Then warp to Snowpeak, enter the dungeon and you should easily have enough time.