Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Obama -VS- McCain Choose your Poison!

Pit-Jr

Results come in different times for different states. BBC have coverage from 11 till 6 tomorrow morning that should get them all. But, of course, it can overlap; like last time until Kerry finally said, "Hey, maybe 3/4 of the rest of the votes won't actually be for me... I give up!" And the time before.. Well. I think we all know.

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is true that is an absolute disgrace!! Also, if you're old enough to vote, surely you're too old to be grounded!

Yeah that was what was so funny about it, i dont even live with my mom anymore and she tried to pull rank on me.

Just to warn you guys, the results will come 2:00 AM British (and Portuguese) time

The last state isn't delcared until 6:00am (Alaska), and even then there could be need for recounts and such if it's close like it was in those infamous 2000 elections.

We'll have a vague idea by then, but even then it could go either way.

Just to warn you guys, the results will come 2:00 AM British (and Portuguese) time

You sure? I've been reading that we wont know till 8:00 GMT? and it could last a few days due to the turn out of voters...

I just really dont get some of it. College votes? 55 in CA and 2 in other states. What does that mean? :(

No, that's the earliest possible time they'll be out at, not the time they'll actually be out at.

As someone said a few posts above me, it could really be any time, in 2000 it took weeks for the results to come out.

I just really dont get some of it. College votes? 55 in CA and 2 in other states. What does that mean? :(

Basically what happens is that each states votes for their candidate, depending on how many people live in that state their votes are worth more. A candidate needs 270 electoral votes to win, if they win in California they'll get 55 votes towards that 270.

The higher the population in a state, the more electoral college seats it's worth. Thats why on a map shaded to show who won what in the previous election, it might look as though Republicans have won by a huge margin, but they actually haven't because the Democrats won big states. They need 270 to win. For instance California is worth 55, whereas Alaska is only worth 3.

Probably a bad explanation, but check the bbc website, it has a video explaining it.

--

Mccains age is getting to him.

Apparently, with his history of cancer, he has a 17% chance of dying before the elections in 4 years time. If Americans are willing to take that risk, then they're even dumber than I thought they were.

You guys should read up about the Electoral College voting more, it's quite funny. There was a case, I really can't be bothered finding the reference, that I studied where one of the people in the Electoral College gave points to the opposite candidate that the people voted for. :P

Apparently, with his history of cancer, he has a 17% chance of dying before the elections in 4 years time. If Americans are willing to take that risk, then they're even dumber than I thought they were.

Which is the concern. With him likely to die it'll all be left to the Nazi in lipstick Palin.

Him being a 72-year old with a pretty demanding job makes me surprised to see it's only 17% actually...

Him being a 72-year old with a pretty demanding job makes me surprised to see it's only 17% actually...

I've seen it put at closer to the 33% mark.

It looks like this'll be a record year for turn out. GObama!

Not quite, the first results will come out from Indiana, Kentucky, Vermont, Virginia, South Carolina, and Georgia at midnight. The earliest possible time a candidate can pass 270 votes is just after 2:00. However, once Virginia, Ohio, Florida, and Pennsylvania are out (by 1:00), if 2 or more are in Obama's favour, we can probably go to sleep knowing the fate of the USA, as the Pacific is safe Obama territory, and carries about 77 votes, and 3 of the 4 in the Southwest are all but safe, and between them carry 19.

Obama just won Ohio. So if he now wins all the states Kerry won in 2004, then he's the new president of the united states. He doesn't even need Florida now, according to the BBC.

Then again, this is all down to him winning the same states as the democrats did in 2004.

So factoring on Ohio, it's now 195 - 76

Obama just won Ohio. So if he now wins all the states Kerry won in 2004, then he's the new president of the united states. He doesn't even need Florida now, according to the BBC.

Then again, this is all down to him winning the same states as the democrats did in 2004.

So factoring on Ohio, it's now 195 - 76

What's more, is that the Ohio projection has been done by Fox. Fox!

Florida would be a nice cherry on top of the cake, mind you. :heh:

What's more, is that the Ohio projection has been done by Fox. Fox!

Florida would be a nice cherry on top of the cake, mind you. :heh:

He's ahead in Florida at the moment, by about 3%. But there is still about 52% of the vote to be counted, so it's an extremely close call. I pray he gets it, just to rub it in the faces of the damn republicans.

Obama :heart:

The beeb just called Ohio! Woo!

He's on 195 now, providing he gets the Pacific (California, Hawaii, Washington and Oregon - 77 in total), he's done. Any of Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, New Mexico, Nevada, Indiana, Iowa, Missouri, Colorado, and Missouri would be a nice pile of cherries on top of the cake.

Ah its now 130 to McCain and 200 to Obama.

More polls just closed:

Iowa just went to Obama

Utah went to McCain

Nothing really surprising - 135 to McCain, 207 to Obama. There is only 72 points between them.

Go obama :P

Yeah I totally agree with you, even though that reporter did get his stats right. The man who was sitting to his right, with the parrot green tie seemed a bit drunk with the swaying while talking haha.

Maybe its just me but is it not worrying that obama is in 'hiding' until he actually wins. Would be terrible if there was an actual assassination attempt but it won't happen.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!