N-Europe

The University Thread 08/09

Charlie

Untill it comes to stinking their stank.

But that's the same as at home isn't it really? 7 of us in my house for 2 bathrooms.

I had an en-suite in first year and loved having it, rent was £85 a week (had to pay £6 a week to get the net!) which was an OK price for my room which had an en-suite. Only thing is the washing machine cost £2 a go and the dryer was an extra £1. Utilities were charged at a flat rate of £350 so it actually worked out really expensive.

Going into a proper flat next year which is going to cost £317 a month each for the rent but then obviously we're going to have to pay electricity, internet, tv license etc. Pretty good price I think after seeing what some flats go for. Wouldn't really get anything cheaper than that.

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stuff you need to bring is basically the bog standard stuff. W.A.C.'s list there is pretty comprehensive but you won't need all of what is on it. You can take the bare minimum and get stuff while at Uni as it saves having to have several trips back and forth to bring stuff.

But yes, a printer is a must if you want to avoid having to pay for print outs at your university. And make sure it's capable of printing A3 as you never know when you will need that (and plus it's bloody expensive to print out in A3 at colleges/unis).

Make sure you buy a decent printer. A mate and I decided to buy a really cheap one together. It cost £20 and it would work well, but, a new black ink cartridge was £11 and colour was even more expensive and because we didn't refil the colour it would pop up with notices all the time saying it was empty which got annoying.

Buy a decent one and ink cartridges will be so much cheaper.

Make sure you buy a decent printer. A mate and I decided to buy a really cheap one together. It cost £20 and it would work well, but, a new black ink cartridge was £11 and colour was even more expensive and because we didn't refil the colour it would pop up with notices all the time saying it was empty which got annoying.

Buy a decent one and ink cartridges will be so much cheaper.

Or get your parents at work to rob them, I do that with my mum, haha. :heh:

Could work, but the cartridges mine needed were really hard to find. :(

Next year I might go down that route. :heh:

haha, my mum is getting all the stationary through work, it's actually saving me a ton of money, because she can order alot of it for work also and they don't seem to mind.

haha, my mum is getting all the stationary through work, it's actually saving me a ton of money, because she can order alot of it for work also and they don't seem to mind.

I'm sure they would if they realised you're using it rather than your mum. :heh:

ps. Anyone mind if I change this to "The University Thread 08/09" or similar?

A quick search found this.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/What_To_Take_To_University

Documents

• Passport Photos (at least four, and keep some on you). Also scan some on to your computer to get quick reproductions for less (especially for ID that doesn't really matter)
  • Passport
  • Driving Licence
  • National Insurance Number
  • NHS Medical Card
  • Details of your vaccination history
  • Insurance Documents
  • TV Licence
  • Support Notification
  • Any Information from your LEA, the SLC (Student Loans Company) or Student Finance Direct
  • Your Unconditional Offer from the University
  • Any Documents regarding your Accommodation
  • Cheque Book
  • Paying-In Book
  • Bank or Building Society Details
  • Travel Discount Cards (Young Person's Railcard etc)
  • CV & References

Academic

• Reading List
  • Academic Diary / Wall Planner / Calendar
  • Relevant Old Text Books and Notes
  • Dictionary
  • Thesaurus
  • GCSE and A-Level results/certificates. (Some Universities use these during your induction)

Stationery and Educational Equipment

Some universities may provide lamps/notice boards etc so buy these when you get there if they don't, and rather than carrying stationery with you it may be a better idea to buy it when you get there to save space/effort.

• Lamp
  • Notice or Message Board
  • Book Chair

• Lined Paper
  • Printing Paper
  • Jotter or Reporter Pad

• Pens
  • Pencils
  • Highlighters
  • Permanent All-Surface Markers (useful for marking what's yours!)

• White Tack or Blu Tack
  • Scissors
  • Sellotape
  • Hole Puncher
  • Stapler
  • Treasury Tags
  • Paper Clips
  • Post-it Notes or Flag Markers
  • Sticky-back Labels
  • Pins for sticking things to any cork boards provided
  • Ruler(s)

• A4 Ring Binders or Lever Arch Folders
  • Paper or Plastic Wallets
  • Clipboard

• Envelopes & Stamps
  • Rubbers
  • Sharpener

Electrical Appliances

• Extension leads Get Surge protected ones to protect valuable equipment

• Computer/Laptop & charger
    • USB Pen drive
    • CD-R/RW for creating hard back ups
    • External Harddrive

• Printer
  • Calculator (for finances)
  • Alarm Clock
  • Mobile Phone & charger
  • Landline Phone (check, some residences may provide this)
  • CD-player
  • Desk Fan
  • Television (You will probably need to purchase a TV license).
  • Camera
  • Batteries and charger
  • MP3 Player/IPod (with charger and USB connector)
  • Speakers and Connector
  • Headphones
  • DVD Player
  • Digibox
  • Games consoles
  • Hair Dryer
  • Hair Straighteners / Curling Tongs
  • Iron, perhaps an ironing board but some unis have one for students to use (Small tabletop one, perhaps? Or just use the table itself if its clean.)
  • Kettle

Personal Items

• Nail Clippers
  • Nail Scissors
  • Tweezers
  • Deodorant
  • Hairbrush / Comb
  • Razor
  • Shaving Gel
  • Cologne
  • Body Spray
  • Perfume
  • Condoms/Femidoms
  • Hair Dye
  • Hair Products
  • Jewellery Box
  • Make-up
  • Moisturiser
  • Prescription Glasses/spare pair (and a copy of your prescription)
  • Contacts & contacts solution
  • Earplugs

First Aid Kit

• Prescription Medicines
  • Contraception
  • Multivitamins
  • Painkillers
  • Plasters
  • Antiseptic Wipes
  • Antiseptic Cream
  • Blister Plasters
  • Cold/Flu Remedy
  • Throat Lozenges
  • Pro-Plus
  • Nytol
  • Anti-allergy Tablets
  • A Cold/Hot Pack
  • Sanitary Towels/Tampons [For the females among us]

Clothing

• Dressing Gown
  • Pyjamas
  • Slippers
  • Flip-flops (for communal showers/summer & 'beach' parties)
  • Swimwear
  • Normal, casual clothing
  • Formal wear
  • Gym or Sporting Clothes
  • School Tie (for the school discos you're BOUND to have!)
  • A warm coat, gloves, scarf, hat and a brolly (so many students pack in sunny September and get caught out/cold when Autumn/Winter starts to bite)
  • Fancy Dress Items [seriously]
  • Clean underwear
  • Smart clothing and smart shoes suitable for interviews for part-time jobs

Bathroom Items

• Hand Towels
  • Bath Towels
  • Wash Bag
  • Toothbrush
  • Toothpaste
  • Mouthwash
  • Floss
  • Soap
  • Shower gel
  • Shampoo
  • Conditioner
  • Razor/epilator/hair removing equipment
  • Shaving cream
  • Toilet roll
  • Air freshener
  • Anti-perspirant/deodorant.

Bedroom Items

Bedding

• Sheets
  • Duvet/Quilt (alot of unis sell these on move-in day, but do check if they are provided, as they sometimes are!)
  • Duvet/Quilt Cover
  • Pillows
  • Pillow Cases
  • Mattress Protector [not only if you have incontinence issues, but if you have a drunken mishap during the night ;)]
  • Blanket

Other Stuff

• Cushions so that your bed is both a bed and a sofa
  • Cuddly toys :)
  • Hot Waterbottle
  • Sleeping Bag
  • Inflatable Bed
  • Airbed Pump
  • Take something to eat for your first night's meal, as it might be a bit hectic.

Kitchen Items

Appliances

(beware: if you are sharing you may end up with many of the same appliance in one house). Also some universities do supply these in varying states of working order for those in university accommodation

• Mini-Fridge - beware: the vast majority of universities don't allow mini fridges in hall rooms (but if you make friends with the cleaners / bedders it shouldn't be an issue from past experience), if you're desperate to have cool drinks/milk in your room then it might be a better idea to invest in a cool box and some freezer packs
  • Kettle
  • Toaster
  • Toasted Sandwich Maker

Equipment

• Small Casserole Dish
  • Small Frying Pan
  • Wok or Large Frying Pan (with lid)
  • Large Saucepan (with lid)
  • Small Saucepan (with lid)
  • Flat Baking Tray (for Oven Chips!)
  • Tin Opener
  • Bottle Opener
  • Corkscrew
  • Vegetable Peeler
  • Cheese Grater
  • Wooden Spoons or Spatulas
  • Masher
  • Microwavable Bowl
  • Measuring Jug
  • Sieve
  • Colander

• Chopping Knives
  • Chopping Board
  • Lemon Squeezer
  • Tupperware (plastic) tubs for storing left overs. Write something on the lids and the tubs to prevent them going missing

Other Kitchen Items

• Glasses (Wine Glasses, Shot Glasses, Pint Glasses, tumblers, high-ball)
    • Cutlery (Knives, Forks, Spoons) Tip - Taking just 1 or 2 of everything will encourage you to wash them straight away
    • Crockery (Plates, Bowls, Mugs, Cups)

[*]Apron

[*]Oven Glove

[*]Tea Towels

[*]Baking Foil

[*]Cling Film

[*]Sandwich Bags

[*]Marigolds - Washing up gloves

[*]Carbon Monoxide Tester

[*]Bin bags/black or white (plastic) sacks for rubbish and waste.

[*]Biscuit Tin

[*]Pizza slicer

[*]Kitchen Scissors

[*]Apple Corer

[*]A set of Scales or Balances

Laundry and Housekeeping Items

• Febreze
  • Washing Powder
  • Fabric Softener
  • Laundry Bag
  • Clothes Horse
  • Coat hangers

• Washing up Liquid
  • Washing up Sponge/Cloth

• Kitchen Towel
  • Toilet Roll

• Cleaning Equipment though often provided by universities

Decorative

• Posters often a stand at the freshers’ fair
  • Photos
  • Postcards

• Rug
  • Throw
  • Cushions
  • Beanbag

• Fairy lights- these are sometimes not permitted in the University's Halls of Residence though as they are a fire hazard and safety hazard.
  • Disco Balls
  • Lava Lamps

• Plants
  • Mood lights, can be an effective way of setting a romantic mood
  • Air purifier thing, if you're like me and your room is always in a mess, it is possible to keep it smelling and feeling clean even though the cleaner last came over a month ago.

Miscellaneous

• Loose Change (for washing machines)
  • Extra Storage – Boxes, Shelves etc
  • Holdall or Weekend Bag
  • Torch
  • Pen Knife
  • Safety Pins
  • Small Sewing Kit
  • Small Tool Kit
  • Matches/Candles
  • Watch - always good for suddenly realising you've got a lecture in 2 minutes!
  • Fan
  • Hooks/Sticky Hooks
  • Door Wedge
  • Tissues
  • Lip Balm/ Chap Stick
  • Board Games
  • Cards
  • Balls/ Frisbees
  • Sports Equipment
  • Bike - but not too expensive, and invest in a very good lock
  • Musical instrument(s)
  • Umbrella
  • Tray
  • Recipe Book
  • Super glue - very useful for fixing things
  • Store Cupboard Ingredients (Oil, Spices, Tin and Packet Food)
  • Alcohol. For the love of god take some wine and spirits and invite some neighbours over to make friends!!!
  • Money!!
  • Small safe for valuables / documents

Not sure if its what you meant, but some of it seem like neceseties.

Cheers for that mate!

Apparently you are supposed to provide your own printer, is this true?

does anyone have like a little list of recommended things to take? This could be helpful :)

Defo bring your own printer - it's a neccessity in my opinion. I got my printer for 5 quid thanks to a pricing error at WHsmith. Not too shabby. Otherwise, don't go overboard on stuff for your kitchen (unless it's already provided of course), as everyone is bound to bring 15 different tin openers etc. Are you staying at the residences on the Bulmershe Campus or the main one (Whiteknights) out of interest. One thing you might want to bring in abundance is tea towels as I seem to recall severely lacking these in first year - and a t-shirt you're wearing isn't always the best of substitute I found....

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Stuff like Lamp and Notice Boards were included in the room at my uni (although obviously all are different). Nobody really wears a dressing gown, nor an apron. And what the fuck is a book chair?

And kitchen stuff wait until everyone in the flat is there. Some people will bring, some wont. Play it by ear.

I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Stuff like Lamp and Notice Boards were included in the room at my uni (although obviously all are different). Nobody really wears a dressing gown, nor an apron. And what the fuck is a book chair?

And kitchen stuff wait until everyone in the flat is there. Some people will bring, some wont. Play it by ear.

Its a very comprehensive guide of what anyone doing anything may need at any specific point for any specific job which you may occur during any events you may encounter.

Terms and Conditions Apply

Man's gotta point - fuck things like lamp and noticeboard - you'll get one of those things - it's like a given.

And dressing gowns are for losers - if you're caught wearing pjs (as a bloke), you will be ridiculed as one of my sheltered flat mates was. Boxers are FTW. Agree with Ashley about the apron, if you think you're gonna spill it down you then just stand back and let it fall on the floor.

Man's gotta point - fuck things like lamp and noticeboard - you'll get one of those things - it's like a given.

And dressing gowns are for losers - if you're caught wearing pjs (as a bloke), you will be ridiculed as one of my sheltered flat mates was. Boxers are FTW. Agree with Ashley about the apron, if you think you're gonna spill it down you then just stand back and let it fall on the floor.

I wear PJ shorts :p

I'm going to St Patricks :)

In the winter I wear those pj bottoms if they are around and I see them but usually I sleep in boxers.

I will bring some tea towels then, thanks for the heads up, I know of the basics but I was just curious if people who have university experience knew things to take that they wish they had taken in the first place :)

I'm going to St Patricks :)

In the winter I wear those pj bottoms if they are around and I see them but usually I sleep in boxers.

I will bring some tea towels then, thanks for the heads up, I know of the basics but I was just curious if people who have university experience knew things to take that they wish they had taken in the first place :)

OVEN GLOVES!

one thing i wish i had taken with me (flat didnt have them - rest of flatmates didnt have them)

kept burning my hand on using a thin tea towel

A printer is a fucking life saver on assignment dates, especially second semester when most if not all classes have a hand in. I remember my ink ran out half way through printing an assignment. Got to uni the next day and the printer in the lab was messed up, learning resource centre credit machine was fooked, so I had to run to my friends flat to print it out. Luckily managed to get it handed in just in time.

I learnt the mistake, always check your printer cartridges, at least two weeks before hand in.

OVEN GLOVES!

one thing i wish i had taken with me (flat didnt have them - rest of flatmates didnt have them)

kept burning my hand on using a thin tea towel

Ooooh, excellent idea. I also suffered from the same problem! It got even worse when our oven door fell off the hinges....not to mention the huge grill pan fire we had.....fire brigade were not happy chappies!

I've received a Scholarship of £1800 for the year from Warwick because I'm so awesome. Yay for free monies!

No offence, but FUCK YOU!

I want free monies...

Actually, I'm applying for a scholarship at Surrey, which will be most beneficial post-Uni. There is hope yet!