NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

So it's only a few weeks until us students get our first student loan payment, and for many people, including myself, it's the biggest as obviously we need to buy books for the year etc. :indeed:

So my question to you, NE, is what are you going to be buying with it? A nice new phone perhaps? HDTV? :heh:

I still can't decide if I want to get anything.... Kinda want me to treat myself to something after having a shitty year (beginning of September last year to end of October were the epitimy of shit, then it got better... then worse again and it's OK now I suppose). So yeah, I need to treat myself to something. :)

I havn't budgeted yet but looking at it, are we going to have enough left over for anything other than rent? >_<

In retrospect, I should have spent the day I got my last loan payment holding some kind of wake. siiiiiigh...free money...

With the PFF1 forms being lost in the post I've been given a non income assessed loan. It won't even cover the accomodation. Hopefully the forms will be re-done in time and I'll be able to survive by having at least money for some food.

I graduated two years ago, and thanks to interest, I still owe more now than I did then, despite paying over £1000 towards paying it off. :(

I'll keep mine tucked away nicely in the bank. I'm not going to spend it on anything.

My friends last year bought laptops, then they were skkkiiinnt!

ahhhh i might still have all this to look forward to...

i went through uni without a loan, just the government grant for single-parent families (lived at home~) i'm hoping that when i come back from japan, if i wanna put myself through uni, i'll have saved up enough from living here and interest on my savings account back home that i wont need to take out a loan..

...i dont know how realistic that is, but i have about 6 months to make up my mind ^__^

I graduated 1 year ago, and I haven't been able to afford to pay any of my loan off. Every month ?50 gets added because of some stupidly high interest rate. I seriously doubt I'll ever get it paid off.

Thanks government for leading me down the academic route and getting me into shit loads of debt I can't possibly get out of. YAY!

________

Krissy

Edited by fex

Well this will be the first year I've had to use mine. Last two years its sat in the bank (granted I should have put it in an ISA or something but ho hum).

I will not be splurging. And if I do it will be because I've sold my soul again and got a job.

But a question; 'Standard Grant' means...? Is it repayable or not? Because I have £1,700 which is classed as a Standard Grant (in addition to Maintenance and Tuitition Fee loans).

Cheers treacle. Oh and its £1500 but still, freebie. Which means I have £500/month (based on nine months) so aiming to get rent for £300/month. So I should be okay :)

Not getting a student loan. Luckily, my parents will be supporting me.

Its just gonna get you in debt, especially if use it for the wrong reasons!

Yes well not all of us are fortunate to have mommy and daddy paying.

I graduated two years ago, and thanks to interest, I still owe more now than I did then, despite paying over £1000 towards paying it off. :(

I thought student loans didn't have interest?

(they have interest which reflects inflation) but yeah it shouldn't have gone up that much.

The maximum whatever that is now. £3,400?

Ahh remember that bull three years ago "Just because theres a maximum doesn't mean every course will be charged that" -_-

The maximum whatever that is now. £3,400?

Ahh remember that bull three years ago "Just because theres a maximum doesn't mean every course will be charged that" -_-

One of my friends it at that price i think, but 2 others is like 1500 i think (or 200).

Yes well not all of us are fortunate to have mommy and daddy paying.

Calm down mate. :heh: I'm just saying that if you spend your student loan on HDTV's etc (as outlined in the original post) and not on stuff like rent/food, than don't complain about being in debt. Obviously there's people who actually need the student loan but others will just be seeing it as an opportunity to spend big on shit they don't need.

Im not agitated, just bitter :p

Nah yeah I don't understand the logic in "yay student loan time for fancy new shit". Crazy folks.

Still, £350 of my friends student loan will be going to me (as he owes it me). Even if I have to commit minor fraud to get it back from the swine.

Nah yeah I don't understand the logic in "yay student loan time for fancy new shit". Crazy folks.

Still, £350 of my friends student loan will be going to me (as he owes it me). Even if I have to commit minor fraud to get it back from the swine.

coolio. :heh::smile:

How much is a kneecap worth these days?

:heh:

Don't be, the guilt is bloody awful. I wanted to pay for university myself, you know grow up and all that stuffs? So I'm keeping my dad in an 5am til 7pm job, nice. :indeed:

But I'll have my maintence loan at 1.8k? I doubt it'll be enough to buy stupidly big luxuries and I'm more a fan of food than I am of buying an xbox360.

I don't need a new telly and if I want an xbox I'll get a job and buy one. I've also got a £500 overdraft unfortunetly I had to have one with this student account, which hopefully I won't ever need to go into. :blank:

lol, my loan covers food and rent and bills and that's about it. Don't know what crazy Warren Buffet style loan you have going on over there.