N-Europe

You're Awesome, Tell Us How Awesome You Are

Aimless

When did 'awesome' rejoin the parlance of the younger generation? I'm betting on a 'radical' revival any minute now.

Anyway, I was listening to Radio 4 during my break and they were talking about boasting, primarily how it's a common facet of American culture that is slowly finding a foothold in the British business arena despite it being the antithesis of the country's taste for self-deprecation. One of the reasons for this is that when it comes to the workplace you have to draw attention to your own achievements if you want them to be recognised, as frankly no one else is paying any attention.

So, with that in mind, why are you awesome? Maybe it's something obvious, perhaps it's something no one else seems to recognise, or it could just be that you're the only one that sees it as a positive. Whatever the case, we want to know.

Oh, and if you suspect someone of being falsely modest in their self-assessment then be sure to call them out by saying, "Gone Fishing!" We won't have anyone casting for compliments in this thread, so if you're challenged you better be prepared to back up your appraisal.

And... go!

Summary for the impatient: Say why you're awesome, beat the falsely modest over the head with an oar. And consider taking things a bit slower; if all you do is rush from place to place then you'll forget to take in the scenery.

The word became part of my general lexicon mostly because of Barney Stinston (and if anyone wants to know the model of awesomeness of which to follow he is your man). And interestingly my awesomeness realisation came about at work, but we'll get back to that.

My awesomeness was a gradual process. One of the earliest is when I said to my older brother, after having realised it, "I stopped being afraid of you when I realised I had surpassed you" and I was about 16 at the time I think.

Then a large part of it came about at work. I was a good employee at Woolworths and I knew that. And it was made evident when the wench got me arrested but everyone was on my side. Then this followed onto Game whereby I quickly became everything. Seriously, there was not anything I didn't do (except go to manager's meetings because they wouldn't let me) and when writing my CV I wanted to put that.

And not only that I knew everything. The till I knew better than a lover, procedures, prices, short codes, methods, training. And people loved me. It made me realise I am good at these things.

And in real life I realised I am awesome because im nice and caring (both sincerley and fake-ly when needed) and if I care for someone I will help them out the best i can. (In the hope they would do the same which works less often than it should.)

And if nothing else (boy don't I love starting paragraphs with 'and'?) I'm awesome because so far I've had two people tell me in this thread :p

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, I don't really have a lot about me that I think is awesome.

But, I shall talk about my mere existence. I think I'm quite different to a lot of people, and it does set me apart, I'm not sure if thats in a good way or a bad way, though. Maybe parts of both.

My GrandParents have raised me since I was about 4 years old, along with my 2 brothers. My Granddad was born in Pakistan, and he came over to Rochdale and met my mother. She converted to Islam and married my granddad, and thats how my Dad came to be. So, he's part Pakistani and part English, as thats who his parents are.

So, my Dad then got married to my Mum, who was also Pakistani, meaning that I am..3 quarters Pakistani, and 1 quarter English, right? I dunno. My Dad is also deaf, and has been since he was about 4 years old. So, 4 is kinda like a significant number in our family. Our house number is also 4, and there was originally meant to be me, my 2 brothers and my sister, but she died when she was very young.

To make matters confusing, I was born in Wales and brought up there for my whole life. Now, you wouldn't guess that from my looks, appearance or voice. I sound more like my grandmother, probably because I have lived with her for the majority of my life. I'm a fake Northerner living in Wales, and Asian/Muslim to boot.

To top things off, I'm quite different to a lot of the Asians in my area. Whilst they were all into R 'n' B or Rap, I was there ranting and raving about Oasis, or the Manic Street Preachers! Music means a lot to me, and it also meant a lot to my Grandmother when she was younger, so thats probably where I get it from. Its quite funny, because I do see characteristics in myself that I also see in them. I talk like my Grandmother, am very indecisive just like my Granddad, and I'm a bit of a lunatic like my real Dad is. Only person who I'm not sure whose characteristics I've 'carried on' from is my real Mum.

So, I'm 'different' because I have a mixture of things that makes me who I am. I've taken on different traits and other such things from past family members, but its all been blended to create a strange mixture that is me. I've got a very interesting family history and I had a totally different time growing up to most people I know. There's been a lot of laughter, tragedy, heartache and joy throughout the years, it's been very interesting.

Hmm, I don't really have a lot about me that I think is awesome.

Be careful with that rod there, Flinky. You'll take someone's eye out.

If I can claim awesomeness in this thread you bloody well can too! Now live by your mantra and "do eeet, do eet naw!"

Be careful with that rod there, Flinky. You'll take someone's eye out.

If I can claim awesomeness in this thread you bloody well can too! Now live by your mantra and "do eeet, do eet naw!"

Haha, yesssir!

I have a few passions in my life, some things that I hold close to my heart. Gaming is one of them, football (particularly supporting Manchester United) is another one...I would walk for hours in the snow to get to the nearest pub so I could watch the live game, and I hardly missed a single minute of any of their televised games last season. I even re-organised my lunch-breaks at work to accommodate for the lunch-time kick-offs, so I at least saw something. :D

But, my biggest passion, is music.

I could rant and rave about music til the end of time, and still would have not said all that I've wanted to say. I wouldn't say I'm the most patient person on the planet, but I could quite happily sit here all day and keep practicing a particular riff for a song that I loved. When it comes to music, I have an endless devotion and an endless amount of time that I can dedicate towards it.

I've been this way ever since I was very young. As a child, I grew up listening to Oasis and dreaming of one day playing in huge live arenas and venues like they have done. This one time, me and my brother borrowed my Mum's tape player, which had a record button, and made our own songs on there. I penned the lyrics, and we both sang specific parts, and other parts together. Our band was called Oceania, and I thought one day we'd get to the top!

It never happened, but it never put me off music in the slightest. I was a late bloomer before I actually got actively involved with playing, because I spent most of my life just listening to it, and becoming engrossed within it.

I think most people I'll ever meet, including my closest friends, will say that I have a special spot for music. Its true, I have. Its called my soul.

I felt awesome until I read this thread and realised everyone is wayyyyyyyyyy more awesome than me.

However I believe I'm awesome because I have actually managed to keep a girlfriend for 6 months and not make her run off into the hills.

That and I can make a noise in my cheek that no other person I know can do =]

Well here goes:

I´m awesome because I live in Iceland and the closes neighboring country is Greenland (and we kick their asses at handball and being overall a greener country then them) and talking trash about the danish is a dying art.

Also I´m awesome because I´m (near) ambidextrous.

Well here goes:

I´m awesome because I live in Iceland and the closes neighboring country is Greenland (and we kick their asses at handball and being overall a greener country then them) and talking trash about the danish is a dying art.

Also I´m awesome because I´m (near) ambidextrous.

What are you saying about Danish? I don't quite get what you mean. :confused:

What are you saying about Danish? I don't quite get what you mean. :confused:

You should study your country´s history with us.

It´s like a social thing at least a long time ago, it´s mostly us kids these days back way back it was quite popular to talk trash about the danish.

I'm awesome because in 18 amateur fights I've KO'd 8 guys and never been knocked down once.

I'm also awesome because my band just got asked on Sunday to be the house band in one of the most popular restaurants/bars in the downtown area of Shanghai.

Making fun.

Ah, okay. :) Don't all countries have a specific group of people they make jokes about? Here in Denmark, we have several, among others "Ã¥rhusianerne" (people from a Ã…rhus, a city in Denmark), Norwegians and "molboerne" (again from a specific area in Denmark). "Molbohistorier" ("Tales about 'molboerne'") are quite famous here in Denmark, as there are a number of stories about "molboerne" in which they solve problems in the most stupid ways, for example the man who was bitten in the toe by an eel and decided to punish the eel by drowning it.