Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euthanasia

The fish

Sorry to bring up such a gloomy topic, but I think it's kind of important. Seeing this on the news reminded me that in this country, people who are able-bodied are allowed to kill themselves, yet those who aren't, aren't.

How do you lot feel about euthanasia, and why do you feel so?

Discuss

I think if your suffering is great from terminal illness and you have your consent, the consent of two doctors and the consent of a close family member (if possible) then you should be allowed to die.

However it needs to be in severe cases and controlled well or everyone who suffers a bit of depression could end up killing themselves.

I agree with Haggis, each case is individual.

This woman is living a nightmare. Having kids afraid of you because of the way you look must be heartbreaking. I think if she wants to die with dignity, then let her, because nobody except her (or perhaps somebody in a similar situation) will know how she is feeling.

I agree with Haggis, each case is individual.

This woman is living a nightmare. Having kids afraid of you because of the way you look must be heartbreaking. I think if she wants to die with dignity, then let her, because nobody except her (or perhaps somebody in a similar situation) will know how she is feeling.

I'm going to agree :) , this poor woman wants to die and knows the conquence and quite frankly it's irratating that the french aren't able to let her do so. I'm hoping switzerland will!

Problem is what if two doctors approve but the psychiatrist and one doctor doesn't?

Then the person in question has her "appeal to die" turned down.

The main question they should be looking at is "why does this person want to die?" and also look at the person's way of life. If they are suffering, in pain, etc.

I think the Dutch have the best idea - every case has to be approved by 3 doctors and a psychiatrist.

I think it's probably the same here, though apparently only two doctors are needed, of which one needs to be specialized in the disease. Or something like that.

Anyway I'm pro. People should be allowed to die in dignity, so they can also say farewell to their family.

Guest Stefkov

If you want to die why does someone else have a say in the matter.

It's not like you thought it up on a whim saying one day 'Well today I'm going to kill myself.'

If you ever came to the finale of wanting to end your life to probably aid a better life for other people, then you would have thought long and hard about the options you had.

If I was terminally ill and couldn't do anything for myself I wouldn't want to see anyone give up their jobs/life to aid me. I'd die. If the doctors or whoever didn't let me I'd kill myself some other way.

Cases need to be looked at individually.

yeah that's the key for me.

Doctors and psychiatrists (most importantly) need to come to a decision about each case. Any system like this is in danger of being exploited though and that's my worry about this kind of thing.

I think if your suffering is great from terminal illness and you have your consent, the consent of two doctors and the consent of a close family member (if possible) then you should be allowed to die.

... :indeed:

With the exception of children, anyone should be able to kill theirselves at any time, and helping them achieve the death should not be punished. This goes for every one over the age of 18, sick or not.

Voilá, I knew we had to agree on something. : peace:

There have been times in recent months that my illness has been so bad I've considered alternatives to living with the pain. But I know I would regret it.

That said, I think it is anyone's right to do as they please with their lives, provided that they are not killing other people or intentionally bringing harm to someone.