Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Rate The Last TV Show You Saw (Spoiler Tags for Recent US Shows!)

Slaggis

Just watched Smallville this morning, season 8 episode 9... it's crazy how epic this show has become. I hate to say it but ever since the show's creators left, it has really kicked off, as though someone has grabbed the helm and steered it back from the world of illogical plot holes and repetitive relationship issues that it had become, and back to a story about the ever closer arrival of Superman. This latest episode was dark and twisted and seems to have thrown the season in at the deep end even though there should be a good 10 eps left to go.

If anyone gave up on Smallville years ago, I would recommend they skip forward and see what they think of Season 8. It's practically a new show...

No more Lana. Lana started off great but too much on-and-off rubbish with Clark and too much of a transformation in her character.

No more Lex... whilst Lex was really well acted his chemistry with Clark could not be getting more tired. It needed a fresh start and hopefully we'll see him again before the season ends, more in his comic book role and knowing nothing about Clark.

Clark and Lois at Daily Planet - Clark has joined the Planet so he can hear the stories first and go help.

Brainiac, awesomely utilised recently. His appearance in s5 was good but not very consistently great, lately its been much better.

Green Arrow. Wasn't a fan at first but he's pretty cool now.

Supergirl's back!

Clark thinking about how to hide his identity when saving people.

Doomsday! No wais. At first I was like "the hell? this is completely unfaithful" but... actually it seems pretty close to the comic idea. An artificially created being that gets stronger with each attack, that is killed and brought back repeatedly to get stronger and hate all people.

Fortress of Solitude is back... and Clark called Jor-El father. Brilliant!

I really hope he flies soon though...

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dexter - Season Three - 'Easy as Pie'

Mmmm pie. And Dexter good times. I love the little moments where Dexter is so removed from common human practicies.

Chuck - Season Two - 'Chuck vs The Ex'

More of Yvonne Strahovski in her native Australian accent would be much appreciated. Meltworthy.

iCarly - "iWin a date" and "iHave a love sick teacher"

This is getting better. Great cast. Miranda Cosgroves acting is getting better, and less forced also, which helps greatly. I love it...very funny. :heart: Freddy.

Although these were like the last episodes of season 1. Dunno if season 2 will start straight away here. Probably not.

8.2/10

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles - "Allison From Palmdale"

I really enjoyed the first season of this but I think season two is shaping up to be even better. Nice to see Summer Glau being able to stretch herself a bit past just Cameron and it was nice to see more of her backstory. I look forward to seeing more of it.

8.5/10

Scrubs, season 1

Nice to see how it all started, although not really that surprising. Scrubs is scrubs, pretty damn funny most of the time, with sad bits in between.

9/10

Everyone knows how awesomely funny Scrubs is, but a lot of people don't realise how well it handles the sad moments in the show, normally involving cake.

that's always been the strong suite of the series.

the thing is with scrubs is that there's basically no plot as such. Everything that happens is character development. That works very well in the early seasons but seven seasons in and the show is basically run dry on where to take the characters, with some of them veering dangerously in to self parody territory. It's a shame, really. I'd like to see it end with a bit more poise.

Smallville Abyss

I've said it before and i'll damn well say it again, this show has been reborn. It might be the eighth season but it's as if it's the show it should have been all along, although here's hoping the return of a former character in the next few episodes doesn't return the show to a soap opera.

that's always been the strong suite of the series.

the thing is with scrubs is that there's basically no plot as such. Everything that happens is character development. That works very well in the early seasons but seven seasons in and the show is basically run dry on where to take the characters, with some of them veering dangerously in to self parody territory. It's a shame, really. I'd like to see it end with a bit more poise.

I've noticed that there is more plot than you realise, season 1 is about them all settling in and carla and turk getting together, season 2 seems about turk and carla possibly getting married.

There's a bit (wedding is a good example) but that's a single event. What's really going on before that is character development based on that bit of plot- the actual plot between A-B in a series is generally quite loose and is only really a background thing.

It works, too. They had a great show for years. I don't really like much of the most recent stuff though because it's stretched the concept out a bit. I'd watch any new eps though, whenever they show up.

There's a bit (wedding is a good example) but that's a single event. What's really going on before that is character development based on that bit of plot- the actual plot between A-B in a series is generally quite loose and is only really a background thing.

It works, too. They had a great show for years. I don't really like much of the most recent stuff though because it's stretched the concept out a bit. I'd watch any new eps though, whenever they show up.

I see what you mean (although the wedding sucked slightly, because they've had two already!) I've seen a few recent, they are pretty good, although seeing the first two seasons I see what you mean, but hey scrubs is scrubs ;)

Speaking of which

Scrubs season 2

Pretty damn awesome, loved the last episode, made me laugh so much. The relationship between j.d and dr cox is perfect, very witty.

10/10

I suppose Scrubs is not plot driven, but

JD's dad, Ben and Laverne's death, the wedding, Cox's marriage/divorce and their kids, Jordan's 2nd pregnancy being risky, the whole issue with Kim faking a miscarriage, Carla's post partum depression, Elliot almost getting married and more recently Kelso reitiring has to be classed as plot :P

. I like it how they manage to make things look believable and crazy at the same time, character's evolve, so do their lives', and each episode has a plot of its own through the patients. Like you said, sometimes the plot is background, which is something I really like in series. A matter of taste I suppose.

Also, had a debate in our flat about whether zombies should be able to climb fences and walls like us normaltons can. Then, of course, there's the usual problem of "why doesn't anyone realise they're zombies? Why aren't there more cultural references to films? ... etc bleh blah bloo.

Fair point. If they can sprint then they should really be able to climb and all that.

And yeh that's always annoying. It's like their all set in a parallel universe where zombie films don't exist. Hence the great Shaun quote, 'The Zed-Word. Don't say it!'

Mid-season reviews

Battlestar Galactica S1 - 9 / 10 Awesomeness

Heroes Season 3 - 7 / 10 Im losing interest

Desperate Housewives s5 - 8/10 Guilty pleasure

Top Gear - 8 / 10 - Amusing enough

The Simpsons: Homer & Lisa Exchange Cross Words

I thought it as very good! (maybe the best this season) There was some great laugh out loud stuff in there. The Plot was focused and a refreshing take on an old idea. It felt like a much better episode overall. Very enjoyable. I liked the little reference to the 3 Gays and the Condo episode! Also one of the duffmen is gay. :o

"Don't tell the children it's disillusioning" :p - Duffman: Season 17

The emotion felt a bit forced at the end and there wasn't much need for the celebrities that appeared but they weren't that bad, just did not really add much for the 20 seconds they were on screen. :)

How I Met Your Mother, S4e08

Now that's more like it. A good episode. The idea for the building by Sven was brilliant. Totally playing into Barney's hand. Can also see where the magic tricks are coming from. Couldn't stop laughing at the end when he got off the bull riding machine after 3 hours and kept falling. Simple humour but very effective.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!