Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Head Tracking for Desktop VR Displays using the WiiRemote

BeerMonkey

completely shocked

copyed from the description :

Using the infrared camera in the Wii remote and a head mounted sensor bar (two IR LEDs), you can accurately track the location of your head and render view dependent images on the screen. This effectively transforms your display into a portal to a virtual environment. The display properly reacts to head and body movement as if it were a real window creating a realistic illusion of depth and space. By Johnny Chung Lee, Carnegie Mellon University. For more information and software

thoughts

*prays that noone else has seen it or posted it :heh: *

imagine shooters etc being done in this fashion

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was pretty awesome. I had my mouth open for most of it. :D

Another thing, that guy presenting it explained things very well and he seemed quite down to Earth. Sometimes when you get people introducing videos such as this, they tend to sound a bit geeky or unsure of themselves, but he gave a sound performance. Well done, that man.

I'm soon gonna try that. And I'm sure We will get a HL2 or UT mod that suports this SOON!

Although it looks cool, I'm fairly skeptical, moving the camera with the wii mote and your viewpoint with your head is gonna be a strange experience. In a Best case scenario with a fps game I gonna get really motion sick :o

I came. I saw. I conquered.

Nintendo will never make this though, the fact that you have to move yourself in order to move in the '3D' world makes this technology unpractical because I'm sure that many people play videogames in very small rooms with enclosed spaces like mine.

Now if you could control movement with a control stick but still be able to crouch, poke-round corners and look at things from different perspectives with the Head Tracker then maybe this could be feasable.

Still I bet developing modern games with VR Displays would be a real bitch at first, not sure how much it would cost to manufacture either, probably a lot. :heh:

Awesomeness: Infinite.

Possibility: You better get down on your knees and pray to Raptor Jesus bitch.

Wow, I was really amazed when I watched those videos! Since I have a bluetooth adapter for my pc, I immediatly tried this thing out and it really works to some extent, meaning that I couldn't really get the depth effect to work, like when the guy on the video gets closer to the screen to view more of the stadium. Probably because he doesn't use the sensor bar for the IR? Still very impressive though ^^

Nintendo will never make this though, the fact that you have to move yourself in order to move in the '3D' world makes this technology unpractical because I'm sure that many people play videogames in very small rooms with enclosed spaces like mine.

It would probably use motion scaling, as does

To be honest I don't think this will featured in any console. Nintendo could implement a camera, or even two cameras in the Wii2's sensor bar and use eye tracking software for even better interaction without having to wear stuff on your head.

Also, I doubt this'll be so great for FPSes. In reality, the gun is moved with your hand, not your eyes, so the so-called interface metaphor is gone. It'll be great for simply looking around though, if it is done subtly (otherwise it'll only cause motion sickness). [saw the vid, never mind this paragraph]

The guy does awesome stuff with the Wiimote though, check his other movies. I like the one in which he uses a Wiimote and IR pen to create a touch screen on any surface.

EDIT: Just saw the vid and that effect is awesomes :D

It's probably hard to implement it in games really well, but this is some crazy stuff for future consoles!

It's probably hard to implement it in games really well, but this is some crazy stuff for future consoles!

It's already here on PC (and has been for a few years now), check out the TrackIR video I linked to in my previous reply. :)

I'm really tempted to get it, but I only have about 10 games that support it and at £110 it's a little hard to justify. I'm still fighting the temptation though!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!