Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Work! Essays! Exams!

Slaggis

I'm screwed. I have so much ICT work due in for Friday, and then 2 entire projects due in for just after christmas. I also need to revise for my geography exams which are as soon as I get back after christmas. I'm also got a couple of sociology essays due in for thursday and a philosophy and ethics exam to revise for on wednesday.

I'm terrible at arranging my time working, and I always end up doing stuff wrong, or not being able to keep my attention on the work for long enough.

Anyone have any tips to help me get down to my work?

Also, I know it's my fault for doing 5 subjects at A-level - but still...*runs*

I have set myself a goal; to do two of my four assignments this week. I have done 1100/2000 for one and made notes for the other and about to start. My main problem is im working 40 hours this week. And have been doing 32-40 since October so uni has taken a sideline. Then next week I'll watch Battle Royale and make notes (as another assignment is about that) and shall do bits of my scriptwriting one throughout.

Still not as bad as my housemate who has barely slept this week because hes left all assignments to the last minute.

Anyway. Its all well and good to plan and stuff but in my experience it never works out.

I have 5 exams when i get back, 3 of which are all on the first day, which happen to be the hardest (Maths, Biology and business).

In maths mock i got a E, however i didn't revise much.

In my Biology mock i got U, this one i was abit pissed off about. I know the stuff it's just applying it to the questions they ask.

Hmm I have five exams plus one retake. Out of all of them I think C4 and CR&S will be the hardest.

C4 in January?

Is your school insane?

I'm doing C3 and a geography paper, as well as retaking one geography paper (human) and two physics papers (electricity and thermal physics, and astrophysics).

Happy Christmas, eh?

C4 in January?

Is your school insane?

I'm doing C3 and a geography paper, as well as retaking one geography paper (human) and two physics papers (electricity and thermal physics, and astrophysics).

Happy Christmas, eh?

Indeed, a very happy christmas.

Well, here's what we do at our school for further mathematicians. We cram and learn all of C3 before we break up for summer. We then spend two or three lessons a week learning C4 whilst revising C3 for one lesson a week. It isn't that bad really, C4 may be hard, but there's not much to learn, and all of the supposed hard bits in C3 seem like a walk in the park. We also don't do FP1 till June.

I have my last exam of 6 tomorrow. It kinda sucks tho - almost all my class were finished tonight and I couldn't go out with them. Ah well.

Tomorrow night should be good - dunno what's happenig yet but hey ho! Going to TGI's on Wednesday night with about 20 of the class then onto a club, and one of the lads is throwing a party on Thursday night to finish off the year as a lot of us are going abroad next semseste! Can't wait for these exams to be over!

Although....I reckon I'm in trouble for the exam tomorrow...

I'm screwed. I have so much ICT work due in for Friday, and then 2 entire projects due in for just after christmas. I also need to revise for my geography exams which are as soon as I get back after christmas. I'm also got a couple of sociology essays due in for thursday and a philosophy and ethics exam to revise for on wednesday.

I'm terrible at arranging my time working, and I always end up doing stuff wrong, or not being able to keep my attention on the work for long enough.

Anyone have any tips to help me get down to my work?

Daily, achievable goals. You have a deadline and an amount of days to do something, so give yourself targets. My latest exam I was FREAKING out about as I'd kinda left it 'til the usual last minute. I just told myself "today, I will wrote the introduction, and make bullet points. Tomorrow, I will do all of the bullet points and the final day I shall conclude, and check my work, and hand it in."

The worst part, for me, is the starting. But once you've got some work done you can at least look at it and go "well obviously I CAN actually do something."

Work in shifts? If you feel like you need a break, take one. Maybe set yourself word targets before your next break. Last year me and shorty had epic sessions of 100-words written and 30 minute breaks :P

RE: Revision. This is probably your easiest thing. Again, just set yourself a real small, do-able target, like raeding a chapter from the text book and keeping a revision notebook. When i did psych as/a2 in teh same year, I just raped the books, turning 40 page chapters into 12 points to remember, then making up mnemonics.

Are you saying you have something due tomorrow, the day after and the day after that?

I've gotten to the point where I constantly have something to do, and have done since September, you just get used to it.

My best advice would be to just knuckle down and do it, its the only way it'll get done. Try to think of things to influence and motivate you to do well! My favourite thought is the sun shining on my face after the last exam sitting in the beer garden of my local - maybe a bit sad ahwell! Good luck! :)

I always have something to do, even if there is no assigment i have to read around or further into the subject to gain a wider understanding of it! :D

So far the work has been quite a lot and i have only just about managed to handle and keep on top if it! :)

The subjects i have chosen are heavy with essays and it takes me at least 2 hours to write one (regardless of quality) and i found myself struggling to get them in on time. :smile:

Coursework is something i hate and i find it unnecessary and often it has dragged my mark/grade down... :( i just can't do it...

My mock A level exams are coming up and i'm feeling confident about them as long as i continue my christmas revision programme! Exams are where i feel i do best and i'd rather have a full exam to contend with than coursework. :awesome:

For my GCSEs i didn't get nervous about a single one which in itself was strangely unnerving. :wtf:

So although the work can get hectic through the term i feel my relaxed (but hardworking) approach helps get me through it. :yay:

I always have something to do, even if there is no assigment i have to read around or further into the subject to gain a wider understanding of it! :D

So far the work has been quite a lot and i have only just about managed to handle and keep on top if it! :)

The subjects i have chosen are heavy with essays and it takes me at least 2 hours to write on (regardless of quality) and i found myself struggling to get them in on time. :smile:

Coursework is something i hate and i find it unnecessary and often it has dragged my mark/grade down... :( i just can't do it...

My mock A level exams are coming up and i'm feeling confident about them as long as i continue my christmas revision programme! Exams are where i feel i do best and i'd rather have a full exam to contend with than coursework. :awesome:

For my GCSEs i didn't get nervous about a single one which in itself was strangely unnerving. :wtf:

So although the work can get hectic through the term i feel my relaxed (but hardworking) approach helps get me through it. :yay:

Same, I didn't get nervous for my GCSE's which felt strange. A-levels, are making me want to scream. I'm pretrified of my upcoming geography exams in january. I know I'm going to fail which makes it all that much worse. :(

All this work is making feel so stressed and I'm kicking myself for doing 5 subjects. I want to drop something, but feel thaty if I do I'd be giving up and I hate that.

Thanks for some of the advice anyway guys. I got my work in that I was meant to for today. But for tomorrow and thursday, I'm a little but screwed.

Guest Stefkov

I have 2 resits in January; Computing C2 and General Studies whichever I got a U in because the examiner was, seriously, stupid.

Choosing 2 art subjects has its good points I only have a 15 hour exam for both later next year. Computing is just normal exams at exam time next year.

If only I can just sit down and do work, I get distracted easily so i'm falling a bit behind because I do no work at home and in college I lose all concentration.