Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Cooking Ideas

Charlie

A certain friend is coming round on Friday night and I'm meant to be cooking something but don't have a clue what to make.

I need something that's cheap, easy(ish), tastes and looks good and isn't boring (ie. spag bol).

Any ideas? :heh:

My recipe books don't seem to have many things in them for a decent meal...

I'm thinking a curry but I don't have a clue where to start...

Heres one Letty taught me.

Super simple and fast.

Cook up some pasta twirls/twists, shuve in a can of tuna and half a can of beans. Cook till all is hot.

Failing that, theres Tuna Pasta bake. Can you tell i like Tuna?

Anyway, what i just suggested really isn't what you want to cook for a lady friend. :p

The meal I had last night was excellent, and cheap! All you need is:

2 Chicken breasts

1 Onion

Garlic

Asparagus

A bottle of Pesto

Some Pasta

Pack of Mushrooms

1. Chop up the Chicken, onion, mushrooms and garlic.

2. Boil the Pasta and aparagus.

3. Fry the Chick, onion, mushrooms and garlic.

4. When both look cooked drain the water from the pasta/asparagus and mix in the fried bits.

5. Mix in the Pesto to taste.

6. Serve.

Easy to do, very tasty, cheap and you can do it without any of the bits you don't like.

What about soup? I know carrot and orange soup, its nice:

4 carrots

an onion

an orange

stock cube.

500ml water

blender (its better if it is blended)

Chop your onions and put them in a pan, and fry them. Then add your carrots (which are also chopped and peeled,).

Boil the watter, and put a stock cube in it. Put the stock/water in the pan aswell, and boil the soup. Then when its cooked (25 mins ish) put it in a blender, and mix it up. At the end, squeeze the orange juice into it!

Dude- make rare steak. it takes about 25 mins, you can make it with no skills whatsoever, it looks great, tastes better and will generally just seem impressive.

here's what I do:

grab some sirloin steak from a butchers as not to cost you the earth

for sides you get a red onion and as many medium sized boiling potatoes as you want to eat each. You also want a small box of button mushrooms.

now, once you get these together, the first thing you do is boil the potatoes as per for about 20 mins. they shouldn't be too soft because they need to be firm for part two.

while this is going on, you wanna start preparing the steaks. All you need to do is beat the shit out of them with your palms for a bit to tenderise them, then you rub in salt and ground black pepper in to the meat on both sides of each steak. after that, sprinkle them with rosemary, again on both sides. When you're done, but those aside.

now you just need to chop up the veg. the onion should be in strings, not chunks and the shrooms should be at least halved.

by now, your spuds should be on their way. when they're cooked but firm, drain them and cut them in to thin round slices.

now for the final stages.

Fry your potato slices in plenty of oil first till they start turning brown.

now, heat a 2nd pan and fry the steaks, onions and mushrooms together till everything cooks together.

serve.

Pita-Bread Pizza. It's quick and it's pocket sized, making it ideal for easy carrying. If you don't mind a messy pocket.

Grab yourself a pita bread, wet it slightly on one side and smother it with a layer of pasta sauce. Sprinkle generously with your preferred flavours of cheese, then throw on anything else you want on there: mushrooms, ham, olives, bacon, whatever grabs your fancy. Bung in the oven for about ten minutes at at least 200c. Consume. Ideal as a side dish or as part of a larger meal.

Risotto is a good choice, and it's pretty easy.

Fry some chicken, onion and garlic in a pan till the chicken has browned, and whilst this is doing it, make 3 pints of chicken stock. Add some arborio rice to the pan (keep stirring), along with plenty olive oil, and after 5 mins, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, and a few slices of courgette (optional) and about 2 pints of stock. Keep stirring regularly over a medium heat otherwise the rice will stick to the pan. Use the other pint of stock if the risotto is getting thick and not cooked yet.

Once cooked, let it stand for about 20 minutes. Add some butter and some sour cream.

Really tasty, a bit more interesting than spag bol, pretty easy and damn cheap to make.

But the best thing to do though is tell your friend to bugger off cos you'll be playing Mario Galaxy!

Risotto is a good choice, and it's pretty easy.

Fry some chicken, onion and garlic in a pan till the chicken has browned, and whilst this is doing it, make 3 pints of chicken stock. Add some arborio rice to the pan (keep stirring), along with plenty olive oil, and after 5 mins, add a tin of chopped tomatoes, and a few slices of courgette (optional) and about 2 pints of stock. Keep stirring regularly over a medium heat otherwise the rice will stick to the pan. Use the other pint of stock if the risotto is getting thick and not cooked yet.

Once cooked, let it stand for about 20 minutes. Add some butter and some sour cream.

Really tasty, a bit more interesting than spag bol, pretty easy and damn cheap to make.

But the best thing to do though is tell your friend to bugger off cos you'll be playing Mario Galaxy!

That sounds quite good actually - I may try it out tomorrow night to make sure I can do it.

I haven't even decided if I'm getting Mario Galaxy or not, although I have the money, I can't really afford it and I really want Assasain's Creed....

Get some tagliatelle pasta, honey roast salmon flakes (sainsburys do em, dunno bout other shops) a red onion, creme fraiche and broccoli.

Basically cook the broccoli and pasta as normal

Chop onion and fry it off in a seperate pan

Add Creme Fraiche and a little Honey, stir til it thins

Add the salmon, remove from heat

Stir in pasta

Serve and use the broccoli to garnish

No idea what it's called, made it up the other day when i was bored and needed food. Looks good though and tastes great.

I'd prob go for the Risotto though, just posted this cause someone might use it or you might need something else some time

That sounds quite good actually - I may try it out tomorrow night to make sure I can do it.

I haven't even decided if I'm getting Mario Galaxy or not, although I have the money, I can't really afford it and I really want Assasain's Creed....

Get Galaxy over Assasins Creed.

You won't regret it.

Oh and Spag Bol is always good:heh: